Great Diamond DeShields video | The Boneyard

Great Diamond DeShields video

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Hopefully I won't get a call from the FBI, as I borrowed the link from The Summitt.

Brandon Clay, from Peachstate Basketball posted this on that site. Hopefully it's ok to share here.

The other DD

Reaction Score
Glad you like it. DeShields makes some plays that most girls can't. Fun to watch! I was going to post here last night but took a while to get posting clearance. We'll have more from kids as the spring/summer goes on at PeachStateBasketball.com so keep an eye out.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Are you still involved in any of the services (i.e. Hoopgurlz etc.) that rank HS Recruits? If so, do you understand why some believe your rankings may not be objective, when some of the most highest rated girls use your facility?

BTW I don't think Diamond is overrated as she's a great talent. However, I do question the overall number of Georgia girls in the Top 25. Besides California, its unusual for any one State to have some many girls in the Top 25.

Glad you like it. DeShields makes some plays that most girls can't. Fun to watch! I was going to post here last night but took a while to get posting clearance. We'll have more from kids as the spring/summer goes on at PeachStateBasketball.com so keep an eye out.

Reaction Score
I am fortunate to write for both ESPN HoopGurlz & SLAM Magazine. Our staff flies over 100,000 miles a year combined so we work at this for sure. Georgia in 2013 is extremely unique.

*To that point, think it's important to note that there are only two GA kids in the top 50 in 2012 and zero in the Terrific 25 in 2014 so far.

Davis (#2), DeShields (#3), Allisha Gray (#8) & Sydney Umeri (#17) all attended middle school in state - all four are bigtime prospects with multiple Top Ten team offers. Three of them have played with USA BBall. All were paid invites last summer.

Lexie Brown (#17) & Shayla Cooper (#26) moved in after the start of HS from Florida so that adds to the unique flavor of the class. Brown to Maryland, Cooper has multiple bigtime offers as well.

On the rankings issue, we like Blue Star, ASGR & CGBR host events in addition to ranking players. I would hope that all of us do the best that we can to be as impartial and fair as we can for the sake of the kids who are involved with the game. There will always be varying opinions of numbers and we know that. Main aim is to get the skill assessment correct. Hope you enjoy our coverage of the sport.

Twitter: @BrandonClayPSB

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
wow... that girl got some hops and great body control. I've seen a few videos of her and this is the best one.

(nice that he mentions UConn first, again)

Reaction Score
Are you still involved in any of the services (i.e. Hoopgurlz etc.) that rank HS Recruits? If so, do you understand why some believe your rankings may not be objective, when some of the most highest rated girls use your facility?

BTW I don't think Diamond is overrated as she's a great talent. However, I do question the overall number of Georgia girls in the Top 25. Besides California, its unusual for any one State to have some many girls in the Top 25.

Hoopgurlz at least has a wide perspective with scouts from different parts of the country. Blue Star is so biased towards girls who play on Blue Star AAU teams especially the Philly Belles. ESPN has a girl in 2014 class rated top 25. Blue Star has her like 50+ spots lower because she plays for a Philly team other than the Belles. Same with Alyssa Thomas who was top 5 in the country by everyone, Blue Star had her 28! Why? She played for her mother on a small AAU team instead of the Belles. Georgetown has a girl who Bluestar has 30 or 40 which is crazy high only because she is on the Belles. ESPN has her as a 3 star I believe. So you may think Hoopgurlz is biased towards people who work out at some facility but at least they have national scouts in many places. Bluestar is extremely biased in my estimation. ESPN is bringing more awareness to the game by having free content. Blue Star, ASGR and the like all charge to see rankings. The girls game needs more exposure to grow like the boys game, you can find so much free recruiting info about the boys game, and espn is smart enough to try and do the same for girls.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Nice to see some video of her back in form post-wrist injury. She's got all the talent in the world and size that makes her a valuable and versatile piece in any college offense. This is a kid who, if she comes to UConn and can play with someone like Moriah Jefferson, will be part of some amazing, next-level college offenses. UConn would have a great team without her the next couple of years, but in terms of advancing the sport and showing people things they haven't seen in WCBB, she is a key ingredient.

Reaction Score
how is deshields not the #1 player in 2013....

I saw no evidence of a left-hand in the above video...it was if I was watching Meighan Simmons in that regard.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
She broke her left wrist three months ago. May be why she's using it less still.

Reaction Score
Huh?

I was simply stating my observation that all her moves were to the right and the vast majority of her dribbling were done with the right hand. It reminded me of Meighan Simmons who is very similar in this regard (i.e. no left hand).

Reaction Score
I was simply stating my observation that all her moves were to the right and the vast majority of her dribbling were done with the right hand. It reminded me of Meighan Simmons who is very similar in this regard (i.e. no left hand).

Yeah, but when I look at the video I see someone who never misses a shot and is a 100 percent free-throw shooter. I'd say that should mitigate any concerns about her having a missing limb.

Seriously though, the play in that video that sums up what makes Diamond so special is when she finished the lay-up while contorted like crazy after being fouled. At no time during that play was Diamond off-balance in her upper body. She took the foul and somehow managed to turn the unexpected change of momentum into a very fluid, under-control finish. Watch it slowly and pay close attention to her head, eyes, and the rest of her upper body. She makes plays like that look routine.

There are girls who are faster. There are girls who are better shooters. There are girls who can jump higher. There might even be a girl who has more of each of those qualities. But I've never seen a girl like that who has the balance and control that Diamond has while she is on -- or above -- the court.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, but when I look at the video I see someone who never misses a shot and is a 100 percent free-throw shooter. I'd say that should mitigate any concerns about her having a missing limb.

Seriously though, the play in that video that sums up what makes Diamond so special is when she finished the lay-up while contorted like crazy after being fouled. At no time during that play was Diamond off-balance in her upper body. She took the foul and somehow managed to turn the unexpected change of momentum into a very fluid, under-control finish. Watch it slowly and pay close attention to her head, eyes, and the rest of her upper body. She makes plays like that look routine.

There are girls who are faster. There are girls who are better shooters. There are girls who can jump higher. There might even be a girl who has more of each of those qualities. But I've never seen a girl like that who has the balance and control that Diamond has while she is on -- or above -- the court.

Diana Taurasi.

Reaction Score
Look at this tweet from Deshields it is too funny.
Diamond DeShields@Hi_iMDiAMOND_22
Football coach just said he'll gimme 30$ if I pick uconn lol#thirtytho?!?

It is good to know Norcross people want her at UCONN! pretty sure the money thing was just a joke to convey how much he wants her here but that type of community support for uconn is huge.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Look at this tweet from Deshields it is too funny.
Diamond DeShields@Hi_iMDiAMOND_22
Football coach just said he'll gimme 30$ if I pick uconn lol#thirtytho?!?

It is good to know Norcross people want her at UCONN! pretty sure the money thing was just a joke to convey how much he wants her here but that type of community support for uconn is huge.
Atlanta has historically been Lady Vol country, but there is obviously a ton of respect for UConn's WBB program and its status as the premier program right now. It's a big deal for one of your own to be headed to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Atlanta has historically been Lady Vol country, but there is obviously a ton of respect for UConn's WBB program and its status as the premier program right now. It's a big deal for one of your own to be headed to Storrs.

It also helps that UConn's own Jeremy Lamb is from Norcross, GA and attended Norcross High School and then came here and won a National Championship and is now headed to the NBA draft. Nice exposure for the school right there as well and makes UConn look even more appealing! :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It also helps that UConn's own Jeremy Lamb is from Norcross, GA and attended Norcross High School and then came here and won a National Championship and is now headed to the NBA draft. Nice exposure for the school right there as well and makes UConn look even more appealing! :)
Along with Maya and Ketia from the area. UConn has been pretty well seated there for awhile and now Tiff will be in the area, too.

Reaction Score
At this time I don't have any idea how Diamond really feels about UCONN. I think she is doing the right thing taking her time before making a decision on where she wants to go to college. Hopefully it will be UCONN, because Diamond is a very, very special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom