Great Atmosphere Tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great Atmosphere Tonight

Reaction Score
Unlike when I went to UConn in the 90s, you have to be valedictorian-ish to get into the school now. I’m pretty sure most students who show up to the games still care more about their next quiz than the next UConn game. So that may explain the rival students leaking into their section.
Back in my day the UConn game was the highlight of the week.

UConn is a better school than it once was, but let's not get carried away. There admissions rate is 49%. Majority of students' SAT scores were in the 67-93%ile.

That's a very good school, but it isn't "you have to be valedictorian good."

Also... plenty of schools with better academics have plenty of student support. Michigan. UNC. UCLA. Cal. You name it.

Reaction Score
You look incredibly dumb chanting lets go huskies down 16
This response is sadly correct from the perspective of social pressures as they exist at college basketball games. Rationally speaking, however, this attitude is indefensible.
  • When a couple hundred (or hopefully thousand) people join you, you cease to look so stupid.
  • When does the team need more help than when down 16?
  • The point, anyway, is to drown out the opposing fans' chant, not necessarily to demonstrate exuberance about our team.

Reaction Score
Was a lot of fun - had we completed the comeback it would have been MAYHEM. Tough loss - poor effort, but the enthusiasm is back - which is amazing!!

Reaction Score
This response is sadly correct from the perspective of social pressures as they exist at college basketball games. Rationally speaking, however, this attitude is indefensible.
  • When a couple hundred (or hopefully thousand) people join you, you cease to look so stupid.
  • When does the team need more help than when down 16?
  • The point, anyway, is to drown out the opposing fans' chant, not necessarily to demonstrate exuberance about our team.
This expectation is not met anywhere in the country. Show me a team being dominated and down 16 at home and i'll show you a lifeless agitated crowd

Reaction Score
This expectation is not met anywhere in the country. Show me a team being dominated and down 16 at home and i'll show you a lifeless agitated crowd
Besides "lifeless" and "agitated" being near-antonyms, I acknowledged that you're not wrong at all. I am simply saying it shouldn't be that way.

I've been at games where opponents' chants get overpowered by the home crowd, and it's great for the atmosphere. I don't remember the specifics of these occasions, but I grant you the home team probably was not down 16 at the time.

Reaction Score
UConn is a better school than it once was, but let's not get carried away. There admissions rate is 49%. Majority of students' SAT scores were in the 67-93%ile.

That's a very good school, but it isn't "you have to be valedictorian good."

Also... plenty of schools with better academics have plenty of student support. Michigan. UNC. UCLA. Cal. You name it.

Fair enough you don't have to be a valedictorian to get in. But compared when I went to school 25 years ago, they are taking in 6-7x more val/salud's and the SAT's are up 300. I know a handful of kids who didn't get into UConn who would have skated in with ease back in my day

And I'm assuming the admission rate doesn't mean much because there are students/families today who wouldn't waste their time and money applying to UConn knowing they don't take "decent" students compared to when I went.

I probably shouldn't derail this into a comparison of student bodies and their passion for UConn sports compared to 20 years ago so it's probably best for me to stop here.

Reaction Score
After 40+ years if attending games imo the XL crowd has always been more fickle than Gampel. I've seen a Gampel try to get the team going even when not playing well, not so much in Hartford.
The students sections in both places have always been worlds apart. That's why I was always a proponent of all games on campus

Reaction Score
Hand in your card - you're a terrible fan. I hope you weren't at the game.
Shut up. I went to the game and went home with no voice. In no arena in no sport do fans cheer terrible play

Reaction Score
After 40+ years if attending games imo the XL crowd has always been more fickle than Gampel. I've seen a Gampel try to get the team going even when not playing well, not so much in Hartford.
The students sections in both places have always been worlds apart. That's why I was always a proponent of all games on campus
No doubt. XL crowds can be great but you get a different type of UConn fan vs. Gampel.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Shut up. I went to the game and went home with no voice. In no arena in no sport do fans cheer terrible play
Then you’ve contradicted yourself. And when down 16, you’re cheering for a comeback, not for the play that got you down 16.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Watched on TV and wish I was there.
I watch a lot of college hoops and I think Donny Marshall is one of the best. He calls a great game and breaks down the x and o of both teams.
Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
Then you’ve contradicted yourself. And when down 16, you’re cheering for a comeback, not for the play that got you down 16.
No I didn't. I wasn't cheering down 16. I was yelling in frustration as was everyone else lol. I cheered when they played with any semblance of energy

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
No I didn't. I wasn't cheering down 16. I was yelling in frustration as was everyone else lol. I cheered when they played with any semblance of energy
Now you’re differentiating between cheering and yelling. Nice work there.

Reaction Score
Now you’re differentiating between cheering and yelling. Nice work there.
There’s a big difference. If I’m yelling “what the hell are we doing” that isn’t cheering. Cheering is a positive action, yelling isn’t necessarily positive. You are a dunce

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
There’s a big difference. If I’m yelling “what the hell are we doing” that isn’t cheering. Cheering is a positive action, yelling isn’t necessarily positive. You are a dunce
Thank you for clarifying. Cheer more. Yell less.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom