Great article on WCBB transfers (and Notre Dame) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great article on WCBB transfers (and Notre Dame)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I know you're joking, and sorry that I'm not. Cicero wrote that in book 3 of his De officiis, which was the first book (after the Bible) that Gutenberg set to movable type and has subsequently formed the basis of civil society. It's probably not possible to think of (say) our Declaration of Independence without what he wrote. So, I guess he ended up winning the big one.

platon.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I'm not sure why Raoul is surprised by this. Many of knew from the beginning that the waiver application would be stronger if the school (departed from) supported the application process. The NCAA website on the waiver process clearly states this. Good for Nebraska, ND and Jessica IMO.

Reaction Score
Don't get me started. There's nothing "good" about it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From where I sit it’s special rules for anything ND. Just makes them even more detestable.
Florida State (twice)?
Washington?
Seton Hall?
All detestable?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
From where I sit it’s special rules for anything ND. Just makes them even more detestable.

Everyone is so sure of this yet no one knows what was in the waiver application. Remarkable.

I don't recall people crying conspiracy over Natalie Romeo or Chatrice White.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Everyone is so sure of this yet no one knows what was in the waiver application. Remarkable.
I don't recall people crying conspiracy over Natalie Romeo or Chatrice White.

imagesTZA0PA90.jpg

BTW I did complain about Chatrice White specifically because the other players that transferred from Illinois to Creighton? did not get a waiver and had to sit.

Reaction Score
She said, essentially, that the rules should not allow teams to host. There's no indication she thought it was dishonorable for teams to apply to host.

In this case, righting the wrong would have meant getting the NCAA policy changed, which she did not have the means to do.
Integrity- Root word integrate. It means that your actions and beliefs are one in the same. To rationalize- root word ration ( to create potions and give out not the whole but only a part.

People of integrity stand by their beliefs irregardless if anyone else follows suite or not. A person of integrity standing by their beliefs or values is always the first step towards change. Change usually does not come from the people who have the immediate power to do so. Those that have the immediate power are usually responsible for the rules as they are. To use that as an excuse is purely a rationalization to justify ones own lack of character. Character is built via challenge and opposition. Ironically the purpose and value of sport in our educational systems was as a vehicle to build character not just to win.

To win is just a means for those in sports to try their best, therefor developing character in the the process. While it is important to recognize that winning is an important part of the process, it should not become our primary objective. When our main focus becomes to win our objectives become goal displaced. The means then supersedes the ends in importance. The means (winning) to the ends ( development of character ) then becomes a justifiable rationalization for winning at all cost. We therefor can rationalize (take things out of context and use only a part of the whole ) to justify our own agenda's. That is the usual path to justifying goal displacement.

The ND coaches attitude is a microcosm of college athletics in general. She is able to use the rational that she is not different than most other coaches and in that she wouldn't be wrong. No one wants to stick their neck out first. It is akin to the "Emperors new Clothes" where no one wanted to say the obvious because of negative career or social ramifications. The biggest problem with that is that after a while the illusion becomes reality in everyone's mind and people no longer see the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

We have created a world where winning ( this includes grades and degree's) supersedes character and ethics. This seems to be where we are at right now not only in the context of sports in our educational institutions, but also the very purpose of the institutions themselves. Do we focus purely on spewing out information in a quest for creating an illusion of intellect and competence, or should we also focus on building character? If it is the latter then we need to examine those we entrust with that task. How can someone teach what they themselves have failed in.

Reaction Score
You're right - no one knows what history was changed to in order to get the waiver, but we do know what history was changed from:

“I had no issue with Nebraska,” Shepard said. “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. Nebraska just wasn’t the place to get me there.”

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You're right - no one knows what history was changed to in order to get the waiver, but we do know what history was changed from:

“I had no issue with Nebraska,” Shepard said. “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. Nebraska just wasn’t the place to get me there.”

Maybe the "personal reasons" for the waiver were, in fact, personal and not something she wanted to reveal to the media?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe the "personal reasons" for the waiver were, um, personal and she didn't feel like revealing them to the media?
Anything is possible in the land of Touchdown Jesus

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom