Great article on the approach to playing Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great article on the approach to playing Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was very impressed with KSU and IMO they should be ranked in the top 10. I thought they gave uconn a better game then ND did. I would like to see them go deep in the ncaa tournament. You can tell geno was impressed when he was talking to their coach at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Male practice players are a really difficult think to manage. Uconn takes it seriously and i suspect most other teams do as well. The guys have to dial down their aggression and their physical advantages to represent top rated women's players. Getting that exactly right is not easy overall and even harder on a day by day basis. To some degree they use their own starters as a measuring stick to gauge the level - when facing Uconn for the first time, how do you know what level to advance them too and can you get it right (and do you want to - could be damaging to the team's confidence before the game even begins!)

I've wonder the effect male players had on Women's teams. At the same time--I expected Geno to recruit a cadre of male player he could expect week after week and would follow direction--to his letter. Just a guess--built on Geno being very controlling with practices.
Average or even way above average teams --you can try with a level of success to prepare for them--Geno's team, even this one that is more average, is more difficult. And I hope that effect continues..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I've wonder the effect male players had on Women's teams. At the same time--I expected Geno to recruit a cadre of male player he could expect week after week and would follow direction--to his letter. Just a guess--built on Geno being very controlling with practices.
Average or even way above average teams --you can try with a level of success to prepare for them--Geno's team, even this one that is more average, is more difficult. And I hope that effect continues..
Over the years there have been a few stories done on the male practice players - there is a waiting list for places on the squad, there are try-outs, and there is heavy discipline - they were all HS players who weren't't quite good enough for D1 college ball, but love the game. There have been some members who were dismissed because they didn't understand their role, or got too aggressive, or let their ego get in the way. I think a few times they have paid their own way to the FF so they can enjoy participate in the succeed. They have a strict schedule and absences and lateness are the same as for the women - not accepted. The ones that stick love it, and I suspect are the envy of most of their friends.

Reaction Score
Over the years there have been a few stories done on the male practice players - there is a waiting list for places on the squad, there are try-outs, and there is heavy discipline - they were all HS players who weren't't quite good enough for D1 college ball, but love the game. There have been some members who were dismissed because they didn't understand their role, or got too aggressive, or let their ego get in the way. I think a few times they have paid their own way to the FF so they can enjoy participate in the succeed. They have a strict schedule and absences and lateness are the same as for the women - not accepted. The ones that stick love it, and I suspect are the envy of most of their friends.
Thanks for the confirmation!! That's pretty much as I would expect Geno and Christine (you can bet she had an input) have set up the Male practice players program?? (silly name isn't it??)--UC Women's Basketball practice team seems more proper!!
Thanks again--what seems incidental to us fans is big time--cuz--we want to know ALL about UC WBB!!! Thanks.
I don't know about their friends---I surely do envy them--

Reaction Score
Thanks for the confirmation!! That's pretty much as I would expect Geno and Christine (you can bet she had an input) have set up the Male practice players program?? (silly name isn't it??)--UC Women's Basketball practice team seems more proper!!
Thanks again--what seems incidental to us fans is big time--cuz--we want to know ALL about UC WBB!!! Thanks.
I don't know about their friends---I surely do envy them--

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: UConn being put to the test - on the practice court

UCONN WOMEN: A few good men helping Huskies refine their game (video)

"The concept of using former high school boys' players enrolled at the school to push the powerhouse women's team was an idea hatched in the 1994-95 season, when starting point guard Jen Rizzotti asked if her future husband, a fellow UConn student, could take part in practice with some of his friends. Auriemma, always looking for ways to challenge his players, loved the idea. His eyes still glisten with delight when he tells the story of how Rizzotti and Pam Webber couldn't get the ball over midcourt. "

Reaction Score
The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: UConn being put to the test - on the practice court

"The concept of using former high school boys' players enrolled at the school to push the powerhouse women's team was an idea hatched in the 1994-95 season, when starting point guard Jen Rizzotti asked if her future husband, a fellow UConn student, could take part in practice with some of his friends. Auriemma, always looking for ways to challenge his players, loved the idea. His eyes still glisten with delight when he tells the story of how Rizzotti and Pam Webber couldn't get the ball over midcourt. "

Schoup----Thanks---I've been around UC WBB for 20 plus years--either I never read the story or let them slip through the hole in the head. I do appreciate this. Thanks.

Reaction Score

Just read the 2011 Register article. I don't think I ever saw it. It was great and the interviews with the GUYS was exceptional.
The Team and Geno gives these guys lots of credit. Too bad the School can't see it's way clear to fund their FF4 travel.
Again thanks--super good article.

Reaction Score
To win over Uconn's women basketball team, you must not only overcome the team play & quality of the players but also overcome the quality of the coaches. The Olympic games prove we have 'gold standard' coach !

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When the NT team was in Storrs the male practice players were a part of some of the practices.

Reaction Score
Laura Lishness and Kathy Ferrier played at Bristol Eastern before Uconn and every Sunday they played against the boys team top players or local former Hs players about 5 to 10 years older! No Shot blocking but contest the shots and hard nosed defense but containment. No reaching in thats how they get hurt. So you need male players you can trust. Laura was a Sr. and Kathy a Sophmore best team in Ct.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To beat UConn, a team usually needs 2 things: (1) a very good game plan and (2) players who are smart, tough, and athletic to execute it. Some teams have one or the other, but few have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom