Great article on the approach to playing Uconn | The Boneyard

Great article on the approach to playing Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The best way to prepare for UConn is to talk to other coaches that have done it. find out what they did that was successful. Don't try and re-invent the wheel. Be realistic in your approach. You'd better have the talent if you're really serious about under taking that challenge. Don't enter a plow horse in a race against pure thoroughbreds, and think you have a chance to win. :rolleyes: That's folly. Fight fire with fire. You're rarely going to beat a top ranked team (especially UConn) with a lesser talented (athletic) team. It happens every once in a while, kinda like Halley's comet, once every 75 years.

Note: Halley's Comet is arguably the most famous comet. It is a "periodic" comet and returns to Earth's vicinity about every 75 years, making it possible for a human to see it twice in his or her lifetime. The last time it was here was in 1986, and it is projected to return in 2061.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Well, if their main goal was accounting for 33 in blue, it turns out that maybe they really should have talked about hair, make-up, and shoes instead....

Its one thing to talk about it. Its a totally different story to actually do it. What you see on tape and real time are two completely different things. Many coaches and players have said that playing UConn is much faster that what you think.

Reaction Score
That's true Hukynut they do play at a much faster pace than other teams think. However, KState played UConn last year so they were somewhat familiar with the pace UConn plays at. I think that was reflected in the final score of this years game compared to last year.

Reaction Score
The best way to prepare for UConn is to talk to other coaches that have done it. find out what they did that was successful. Don't try and re-invent the wheel. Be realistic in your approach. You'd better have the talent if you're really serious about under taking that challenge. Don't enter a plow horse in a race against pure thoroughbreds, and think you have a chance to win. :rolleyes: That's folly. Fight fire with fire. You're rarely going to beat a top ranked team (especially UConn) with a lesser talented (athletic) team. It happens every once in a while, kinda like Halley's comet, once every 75 years.

Note: Halley's Comet is arguably the most famous comet. It is a "periodic" comet and returns to Earth's vicinity about every 75 years, making it possible for a human to see it twice in his or her lifetime. The last time it was here was in 1986, and it is projected to return in 2061.

Better still, Carnac, talk to coaches who have beaten UConn. That will save time and money. Also, ask the winning coach how long ago their victory was. Sample question: "Was the win in this century?" Expect few responses.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
That's true Hukynut they do play at a much faster pace than other teams think. However, KState played UConn last year so they were somewhat familiar with the pace UConn plays at. I think that was reflected in the final score of this years game compared to last year.

True. We have seen the same thing with Texas, South Florida and ND. But the result is still the same - a UConn win.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Better still, Carnac, talk to coaches who have beaten UConn. That will save time and money. Also, ask the winning coach how long ago their victory was. Sample question: "Was the win in this century?" Expect few responses.

Let's see....In the last 5 years or so, I can think of 4...
Kim, Muffet, Barnes-Arico, Tara.

Have I missed anyone?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Let's see....In the last 5 years or so, I can think of 4...
Kim, Muffet, Barnes-Arico, Tara.

Have I missed anyone?

No. It's a pretty "short" list. :cool:

Reaction Score
Obviously, that approach does not work either, Muffet took videos of how to do it, she is the last one to beat Uconn--and she had/has the number 2 team in the land, with top talent---and Uconn left ND unbeaten--when you can't put a team in a mold--don't try to build a mold to beat them!!

Nice completely honest article---I liked the kids calling Katie Lous name as she exited the floor..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Obviously, that approach does not work either, Muffet took videos of how to do it, she is the last one to beat Uconn--and she had/has the number 2 team in the land, with top talent---and Uconn left ND unbeaten--when you can't put a team in a mold--don't try to build a mold to beat them!!

Nice completely honest article---I liked the kids calling Katie Lous name as she exited the floor..
Ummmm - no! Tara is the last one to do it - no one else has done it in over three and a half years! Think on that! :cool:

I don't think there is a particular secret to beating Uconn. You have to have a good team and everyone on the team has to have a career night while Uconn plays less than their best, or you have to have a great team with balanced scoring and very good defense. And you have a much better chance if your players have actually been on the floor against Uconn before, because you do not get a true sense of the speed, length, and discipline with which they play from watching tape.

St. John's had a career night while Uconn had a rare off night. They had played Uconn one or twice a season for years.

ND had a great team with balance and good defense, and they had lost to Uconn three times a year for years, including the year in which they finally beat them.

Tara's team had a bit of both - it was probably the best game they played that year (at their house) Uconn did not play a great game, and Tara had a very well coached team. They had been playing H and H for a number of years as well.

TX got blown out when they first played - they have been better since
Miss State got blown out the first time they played - next time they meet if it is in the near future that probably will not happen.
Neither of those teams are yet good enough and/or they haven't played Uconn on an off night while playing a career game.

Reaction Score
To me the most interesting paragraph in the article is this:

“The only thing I want them thinking is, ‘How can I help a teammate play better?’” Mittie says. “It’s not about what you can do to play well. It’s about what you can do to help your teammate play well. That has been the core of our program. We have helped each other play better and practice better. My message is no different for this game.”

Read more here: Behind the scenes: How Jeff Mittie, Kansas State prepared for No. 1 Connecticut

WCBB has many players that come into college playing well, and UConn has had their share. Some schools let those really talented players "do their thing" for 4 years. No need to name names but I can think of a few. Some end up as AA's, mostly because they are skilled at scoring. Some go on to pro careers. But they are like lone warriors on the court. UConn teaches their uber-talented players how to make their teammates better. That's what all the hard work in practice is all about. That's what makes UConn such a beautiful team to watch.

I'd think that what Mitte needs to do is to get his team to prepare and focus as much for every game the rest of their season as they did for UConn.

Because that's what UConn does.

Reaction Score

I'm planning on seeing it shortly after my 116th birthday. Wish me luck!

Reaction Score
Ummmm - no! Tara is the last one to do it - no one else has done it in over three and a half years! Think on that! :cool:

I don't think there is a particular secret to beating Uconn. You have to have a good team and everyone on the team has to have a career night while Uconn plays less than their best, or you have to have a great team with balanced scoring and very good defense. And you have a much better chance if your players have actually been on the floor against Uconn before, because you do not get a true sense of the speed, length, and discipline with which they play from watching tape.

St. John's had a career night while Uconn had a rare off night. They had played Uconn one or twice a season for years.

ND had a great team with balance and good defense, and they had lost to Uconn three times a year for years, including the year in which they finally beat them.

Tara's team had a bit of both - it was probably the best game they played that year (at their house) Uconn did not play a great game, and Tara had a very well coached team. They had been playing H and H for a number of years as well.

Miss State got blown out the first time they played - next time they meet if it is in the near future that probably will not happen.
Neither of those teams are yet good enough and/or they haven't played Uconn on an off night while playing a career game.
I love that part where you spoke of the benefit of having players that have played against the Huskies before because of your point about speed, length and discipline and not being to duplicate that in practice.

Reaction Score
True. We have seen the same thing with Texas, South Florida and ND. But the result is still the same - a UConn win.
What a minute! Didn't that game last year have a few players (Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson) that are no longer playing college basketball? Isn't that advantage, Kansas State????? Beyond that, last year we didn't play at Kansas State, did we?????

Reaction Score
Mittie doing a number of things that will pay off in recruiting. Getting school behind team, packing the gym, and playing name schools get US wide recognition and help bring in top players. He seems to have the strategy down and did a fine coaching job calming team after they got behind to UConn. Suspect we will hear a lot about the team in future, assuming Mittie is not recruited for a bigger job.

Reaction Score

UMiami---You caught me---Stanford was a game I'd like to forget!! I stumbled over it and the 7 losses to ND--on my way to --who can beat uconn--and IF EXPERIENCE was necessary then ND (forgetting Tara) had the inside information--if it truly existed.
The fact of life, in a basketball sense --is as you say---on any given night (or day) top 10 teams MAY beat each other--if the stars align and the dogs don't Howell.

Yes I remember the Red Storm and then the return visit during the BE tourney. Once I got over the loss and watched it again--that was a fun game, if you like exciting BB!! (they beat UC with a kid Geno allowed to transfer and play immediately).

Blow outs of TX or Miss were with the Golden 3---when they played UC again (Tx) it was not with the same level of talent on this UC that they played against --or in Miss case may play against. Apples and beans. But your point is well made--as it always is.

The Stanford game caught UC flatfooted and unprepared--and as I said at the time--I thought they partied too much and looked tired during that game. Also Tara capitalized on one of that teams weakness--the inability to stop the dribble drive penetration--and they were hot and home--and UC was tired.

The ONE thing, among many others, that drew me to be a Geno fan was: Even if you beat him once don't expect to do it again--OR if you came close to beating him, don't think you can the next time.--he always has a new wrinkle---excluding the 7 losses to ND!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Blow outs of TX or Miss were with the Golden 3---when they played UC again (Tx) it was not with the same level of talent on this UC that they played against --or in Miss case may play against. Apples and beans. But your point is well made--as it always is.
Texas was a different team and a different game last year in the E8 than they had been in their 50 point blow-out the year before. Uconn still won easily, but TX was so much more prepared for the experience and did not get overwhelmed. Both of those games were with the same basic team make-ups, just a year older. Those were the two games I was referring to and not specially to this year, though I firmly believe this year's TX team benefitted from the two previous games of experience in seeing Uconn close up.
I was just giving you grief on the Muffet/Tara error! :cool: Yeah, that Stanford game is one to forget. Didn't think the team was tired, just unprepared and expecting to coast.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Its one thing to talk about it. Its a totally different story to actually do it. What you see on tape and real time are two completely different things. Many coaches and players have said that playing UConn is much faster that what you think.
There are three things regarding playing against UCONN that I have never understood why other coaches have never taken advantage off.
1) Condition you team to run for at least 40 Minutes because UCONN is conditioned to run for 40+.
2) Use male practice players to simulate the speed & strength of UCONN WCBB teams. You backup players are not going to cut it.
3) If something works or is working UCONN will milk it to death. Two examples: A) 2000 Championship game against (TN), UCONN came off the bus running the backdoor cut- 16 years later it is good for at least 1 layup per game. During the 2013-14 season Geno ran the same exact play (he just varied the personnel) after using the time out going into the half in almost consecutive games against Stanford, MD, Cal. The results: KML splashed a 3 over Chinney, Bria Hartley got 3 FTs, and Stewie got a layup.

Reaction Score
Has anyone asked Tony how many games Uconn will have won in a row when we are all here to celebrate the next showing of halley's comet?

Reaction Score
Texas was a different team and a different game last year in the E8 than they had been in their 50 point blow-out the year before. Uconn still won easily, but TX was so much more prepared for the experience and did not get overwhelmed. Both of those games were with the same basic team make-ups, just a year older. Those were the two games I was referring to and not specially to this year, though I firmly believe this year's TX team benefitted from the two previous games of experience in seeing Uconn close up.
I was just giving you grief on the Muffet/Tara error! :cool: Yeah, that Stanford game is one to forget. Didn't think the team was tired, just unprepared and expecting to coast.

I do appreciate the manner you present your comments--including "grief" --In my youth my tongue would tangle--now it's my brain!!
Yea---I got the same response to the TIRED comment after that game. Some things we believe, some things we see, --not all are accurate and yet I believe them tired. But I too believe they were over confident and expected to coast.
The coach of Texas or any coach would not be doing their job--if they didn't learn something from the games they played--I thought the Coach of Tx this year was certain she had the right game plan and personnel--
Interesting side comment on the coaching this year--I thought ALL the comments by the losing top 10 coaches were accurate, and honest even those that others thought self serving--it is not the most pleasant task to explain how you lost a game you were certain you'd win!!
Thanks Again!!

Reaction Score
There are three things regarding playing against UCONN that I have never understood why other coaches have never taken advantage off.
1) Condition you team to run for at least 40 Minutes because UCONN is conditioned to run for 40+.
2) Use male practice players to simulate the speed & strength of UCONN WCBB teams. You backup players are not going to cut it.
3) If something works or is working UCONN will milk it to death. Two examples: A) 2000 Championship game against (TN), UCONN came off the bus running the backdoor cut- 16 years later it is good for at least 1 layup per game. During the 2013-14 season Geno ran the same exact play (he just varied the personnel) after using the time out going into the half in almost consecutive games against Stanford, MD, Cal. The results: KML splashed a 3 over Chinney, Bria Hartley got 3 FTs, and Stewie got a layup.

Brilliant minds run in the same conduit!! 1. i think, guess, that other coaches with depth think that depth will make up for conditioning and conditioning is hard work. 2. Some actually use practice players 3. Some of the coaches can't make in-game correction --Eddie Sutton (KY, Ark, OK st) always fixed issued in practice--after the fact. Geno believes in exploiting what the other teams will give him--so if going to Steff or D scores--repeat, repeat repeat---if he can run back door on Tn--run run run until they prove they can stop you!!
That is great coaching!!! Sherri Coale and JPM both have told their teams to not allow Uconn to run layup drills during the game--but they did!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Male practice players are a really difficult think to manage. Uconn takes it seriously and i suspect most other teams do as well. The guys have to dial down their aggression and their physical advantages to represent top rated women's players. Getting that exactly right is not easy overall and even harder on a day by day basis. To some degree they use their own starters as a measuring stick to gauge the level - when facing Uconn for the first time, how do you know what level to advance them too and can you get it right (and do you want to - could be damaging to the team's confidence before the game even begins!)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Male practice players are a really difficult think to manage. Uconn takes it seriously and i suspect most other teams do as well. The guys have to dial down their aggression and their physical advantages to represent top rated women's players. Getting that exactly right is not easy overall and even harder on a day by day basis. To some degree they use their own starters as a measuring stick to gauge the level - when facing Uconn for the first time, how do you know what level to advance them too and can you get it right (and do you want to - could be damaging to the team's confidence before the game even begins!)
Coaches in other sport struggle with similar issues, in football how much contact to remain sharp before a big game, in baseball how many tosses in between starts for pitchers. Not getting it right is a poor excuse for not trying. If I'm facing UCONN for the first time, I dial it up as hard as I can. If my turn up happens to crush your team in practice, then UCONN is either going to be a cake walk (not likely) or more soul crushing ( most likely). You can always dial it down next time.

Reaction Score
. . . Note: Halley's Comet is arguably the most famous comet. It is a "periodic" comet and returns to Earth's vicinity about every 75 years, making it possible for a human to see it twice in his or her lifetime. The last time it was here was in 1986, and it is projected to return in 2061.

Two previous apparitions in 1835 and 1910 marked the birth and death of Mark Twain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom