Great article breaking down Drummond and Oriahki efficiency | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great article breaking down Drummond and Oriahki efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree, its a lot better than the posts asking for the 70th time why we have a soft schedule or those saying Andre Drummond is overrated. I'd much rather discuss stats and numbers that show more than whats being said in the box score

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree, its a lot better than the posts asking for the 70th time why we have a soft schedule or those saying Andre Drummond is overrated. I'd much rather discuss stats and numbers that show more than whats being said in the box score
Even the thread about TO was an upgrade. Most people stated their impressions of TO without the insistence that a person's opinion was sacrosanct. I love debate when it doesn't become personal. Unfortunately some people confuse their opinions as being fact and need to win debates as opposed to letting debates help us look at things in a wider view and develop a better understanding of the players, the team and the game.

Reaction Score
There's not a whole lot of data to draw too many conclusions. It does make sense that with the two of them on the floor, defensively UConn will be awfully tough to score against inside and probably outside as well since these two bigs won't need too much help in the post.

Offensively, so far, they've been been not very good. Olander has been our best offensive big and Roscoe finally had a nice performance last game.

It will be interesting to see how these numbers change, or stay the same, as the season goes on.

I think both will improve their offensive efficiency as times goes on, though neither has been very reliable in traffic around the rim. They're both rushing their shots. You can't take too much time when you receive the entry pass or get an offensive rebound, but just taking a fraction of a second to make sure they are square when they release the ball will go a long way.

Reaction Score
Prezidint, thanks for the normalized plus/minus. I'll make sure to include that next time I do a comparison like this. When I was saying AO and AD were struggling together I was referring to the offensive side of the ball, where lineups with Oriakhi and Drummond scored fewer pts/possession than any of the other lineup combos. The defense was strong enough that it offset the plus-minus numbers enough, but offensively they'll need more time to gel. I think it makes sense that they'd be better on defense initially because that's where the size advantage is going to pay off. Also, I feel like (from watching past seasons) Calhoun's defensive schemes are a little bit easier to pick up than the offensive schemes.

I'm glad to hear that you guys like the thread and site and I'll make sure to keep you updated on new content. Also note that I've posted a Battle 4 Atlantis Preview (check it out if you have time!) so if you go in through the OP's link you're going to get that on top. If you want a direct link to the post/chart discussed in this thread use: this.

Reaction Score
http://uconnbythenumbers.com/

Especially if you like the stats that you cant find from the boxscore.

That blog is really, really useful. Great job

edit: I hope they update it regularly with optimal lineups offensively and dfensively. also, I wonder how to use the data to analyze how they play against certian lineups. Coppin played four guards a lot, as will UNC-Ash Thursday. Its tough for AO and AD to defend that, yet Uconn doesn't seem to make up for that as well as they hopefully will on the offense end by getting them the ball efficiently.

And these lineup optimizers will change as theys tart playing teams with three forwards or two F and a C. Watching AO and AD out on the perimater guarding 6-3" guys was kind of silly. and Uconn looking great without them just means that versus a guard domianted team, uconn is better playing their guards and forwards becasue, well, Uconn's guards/fowards are better than the opponents. Again, that will change as the competition changes

Reaction Score
I love the preview for the Battle of Atlantis, its much more interesting and entertaining than anything Amore has come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom