Great aritcle on Kemba | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great aritcle on Kemba

Reaction Score
Yes, I know he was ranked in the teens. I said that above. Did you even read what I wrote? He was not ranked that high when he committed to UConn. Anyone who followed recruiting back then should remember that. He wasn't even ranked by most coming into the spring of his junior year. He was generally top 100 by the middle of the spring but he was not top 10-20 until later that summer, after he committed to UConn, when he showed all spring/summer how good he was. Kemba rocketed up the rankings very quickly so Calhoun was a good judge of his talent.

I found the Hartford Courant article from June 17, 2007, the day after he committed to UConn, written by Mike Anthony (can't find a link) which gives his ranking from Scout.com and Rivals.com. Rivals.com still had him at #118 at the time he committed to UConn. Also, here's the Scout.com article when Kemba committed where Telep says he wasn't even ranked coming into the spring of his junior year. Below are the 2 articles.

New York Point Guard Commits

By MIKE ANTHONY
Courant Staff Writer

June 17 2007

Kemba Walker, a point guard from Rice High School in New York, made an oral commitment to attend UConn Saturday.

Walker, 6 feet 2, chose the Huskies over Cincinnati and St. John's.

Walker is said to be a player with rising stock. He has been impressive in recent AAU tournaments such as the Cactus Classic in Phoenix, where he led the New York Gauchos to the championship and was named MVP.

Scout.com rates Walker the No. 4 point guard and No. 36 overall player in the Class of 2008. Rivals.com has him as the No. 20 point guard and No. 118 player.

The feeling at UConn is that Walker is, or will become, one of the elite players in the class.

Walker joins guard/forward Nate Miles from Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., as high school seniors-to-be who have committed to UConn.

For the Class of 2009, the Huskies have commitments from Alex Oriakhi, a 6-8 post player, and Jamal Coombs, a 6-6 guard/forward, both juniors at the Winchendon School in Massachusetts.

Walker made an unofficial visit to UConn June 6 and will likely make an official visit once his senior year begins. Walker and Rice coach Maurice Hicks could not be reached Saturday.

UConn sophomore forward Curtis Kelly played at Rice.

Walker Makes His Pick
By Dave Telep
National Recruiting Director
Posted Jun 16, 2007
Kemba Walker, Scout.com’s No. 36 prospect in America, is no longer uncommitted. On Saturday, Walker became the 7th Top 10 point guard to make up his mind and offer a commitment.

Kemba Walker matched his rapid ascension up the point guard charts by making a very quick collegiate decision. The 6-foot point guard out of Manhattan (N.Y.) Rice committed to the Connecticut Huskies this week. He considered Cincinnati, St. John’s and a host of high level programs.

UConn moved swiftly on Walker. After being named the MVP of the Cactus Classic in May, Jim Calhoun’s crew immediately brought him to campus, offered a ride and ended the process.

It was almost like Walker was sitting on one particular program. “Actually, it was the school I was waiting for,” Walker said. “It’s probably my dream school.”

Walker’s proof that dreams do come true. Unranked prior to the spring, the tough leader went from Top 20 at his position to No. 36 nationally. Presently, he’s the No. 4 ranked point guard in the Class of 2008.

“I know they got a couple of guards already,” Walker said. “But, they said none of them are true point guards and they need a true point guard. Some of the other guys are scorers and they want me to come in and run the team.

“I’m a tough player. I’m not afraid of anybody and I love challenges. All my life I’ve always been told that I’m not good enough so that made me work harder.”

Now that he’s a Husky, Walker is ready to hand out his first assist. The Huskies had Scout.com’s No. 2 prospect on campus last week and Walker is ready to help out if he can.

“(I want) Ed Davis. I like the way he plays. I really don’t play with many big men. This is my first year playing with bigs and I know in college you need them. I played against Ed Davis in the Memorial Day Classic and he plays hard. He plays like me but he’s bigger and he plays hard.”
Yes, I know he was ranked in the teens. I said that above. Did you even read what I wrote? He was not ranked that high when he committed to UConn. Anyone who followed recruiting back then should remember that. He wasn't even ranked by most coming into the spring of his junior year. He was generally top 100 by the middle of the spring but he was not top 10-20 until later that summer, after he committed to UConn, when he showed all spring/summer how good he was. Kemba rocketed up the rankings very quickly so Calhoun was a good judge of his talent.

I found the Hartford Courant article from June 17, 2007, the day after he committed to UConn, written by Mike Anthony (can't find a link) which gives his ranking from Scout.com and Rivals.com. Rivals.com still had him at #118 at the time he committed to UConn. Also, here's the Scout.com article when Kemba committed where Telep says he wasn't even ranked coming into the spring of his junior year. Below are the 2 articles.

By MIKE ANTHONY
Courant Staff Writer

June 17 2007

Kemba Walker, a point guard from Rice High School in New York, made an oral commitment to attend UConn Saturday.

Walker is said to be a player with rising stock. He has been impressive in recent AAU tournaments such as the Cactus Classic in Phoenix, where he led the New York Gauchos to the championship and was named MVP.

Scout.com rates Walker the No. 4 point guard and No. 36 overall player in the Class of 2008. Rivals.com has him as the No. 20 point guard and No. 118 player.

The feeling at UConn is that Walker is, or will become, one of the elite players in the class.

Walker joins guard/forward Nate Miles from Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., as high school seniors-to-be who have committed to UConn.

For the Class of 2009, the Huskies have commitments from Alex Oriakhi, a 6-8 post player, and Jamal Coombs, a 6-6 guard/forward, both juniors at the Winchendon School in Massachusetts.

Walker made an unofficial visit to UConn June 6 and will likely make an official visit once his senior year begins. Walker and Rice coach Maurice Hicks could not be reached Saturday.

Walker Makes His Pick
By Dave Telep
Posted Jun 16, 2007
Kemba Walker, Scout.com’s No. 36 prospect in America, is no longer uncommitted. On Saturday, Walker became the 7th Top 10 point guard to make up his mind and offer a commitment.

Kemba Walker matched his rapid ascension up the point guard charts by making a very quick collegiate decision. The 6-foot point guard out of Manhattan (N.Y.) Rice committed to the Connecticut Huskies this week. He considered Cincinnati, St. John’s and a host of high level programs.

UConn moved swiftly on Walker. After being named the MVP of the Cactus Classic in May, Jim Calhoun’s crew immediately brought him to campus, offered a ride and ended the process.

It was almost like Walker was sitting on one particular program. “Actually, it was the school I was waiting for,” Walker said. “It’s probably my dream school.”

Walker’s proof that dreams do come true. Unranked prior to the spring, the tough leader went from Top 20 at his position to No. 36 nationally. Presently, he’s the No. 4 ranked point guard in the Class of 2008.

“I know they got a couple of guards already,” Walker said. “But, they said none of them are true point guards and they need a true point guard. Some of the other guys are scorers and they want me to come in and run the team.

“I’m a tough player. I’m not afraid of anybody and I love challenges. All my life I’ve always been told that I’m not good enough so that made me work harder.”

Now that he’s a Husky, Walker is ready to hand out his first assist. The Huskies had Scout.com’s No. 2 prospect on campus last week and Walker is ready to help out if he can.

“(I want) Ed Davis. I like the way he plays. I really don’t play with many big men. This is my first year playing with bigs and I know in college you need them. I played against Ed Davis in the Memorial Day Classic and he plays hard. He plays like me but he’s bigger and he plays hard.”
"I think he was in the 50-75 range and then moved into the teens near the end of that summer. "
My bad, I missed that part.

Reaction Score
Kemba's one of my all-time Uconn favorites. These max and supermax deals are crazy. Imagine being 'eligible' for $221mil but willing to 'settle' for $180mil?
Really curious. What can you do with 220 mil that you can't do with 180? Any examples? If the only difference is winning and the only downfall is taking a pay cut, come on...

Reaction Score
I photographed local sports around NYC back then and I had received an assignment to photograph Kemba before he committed to UCONN. It was more a cheesy style story than a basketball profile. Then he commits a week before our shoot, which was a surprise because I had heard nothing about Kemba and Uconn up till then. He brought Durand Scott, also on the Gauchos, and I just told him Calhoun was crazy but was going to make him the best player he could be. That was his first pro photoshoot and my profile picture was fom that day.

Reaction Score
Kemba man- that’s my man , I remember that San Diego State game too - we were pretty much playing on their home floor for the sweet 16 - had to take it right at those West Coast cats. Speaking about out West, still can’t believe Jimmer Fredette won player of the year over Kemba that year. if you compare the competition each player had to go through - Kemba should’ve won hands down - don’t get me wrong jimmer had a great year , but come on now.

Reaction Score
Kemba man- that’s my man , I remember that San Diego State game too - we were pretty much playing on their home floor for the sweet 16 - had to take it right at those West Coast cats. Speaking about out West, still can’t believe Jimmer Fredette won player of the year over Kemba that year. if you compare the competition each player had to go through - Kemba should’ve won hands down - don’t get me wrong jimmer had a great year , but come on now.
It's better that Kemba didn't win Big East POY or National POY, and I wouldn't change that if I could go back in time. I think that aggravated Kemba more than he will ever let anyone know and is a big reason he went on such a tear. Everyone with a shred of knowledge knows he was the best player in the nation that year. Best player of that draft is Kawhi Leonard, but we are talking about college basketball in the year 2011, hands down it was Kemba.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score

By MIKE ANTHONY
Courant Staff Writer

June 17 2007

Walker Makes His Pick
By Dave Telep
Posted Jun 16, 2007

Kemba joins Nate Miles at UConn... ouch.

Reaction Score

By MIKE ANTHONY
Courant Staff Writer

June 17 2007

Walker Makes His Pick
By Dave Telep
Posted Jun 16, 2007

Still nice to get a highly ranked commitment in his Junior year. I would be happy even if they didn’t end up 5 stars. Good top 150-75 talent and the occasional top 50 guy is where I would like to be. We did better than that the last couple years so hopefully we keep it going. 3-5 years from now? Yeah if Hurley stays we can start looking at 5 star guys. We’re heading in the right direction.

Reaction Score
It's better that Kemba didn't win Big East POY or National POY, and I wouldn't change that if I could go back in time. I think that aggravated Kemba more than he will ever let anyone know and is a big reason he went on such a tear. Everyone with a shred of knowledge knows he was the best player in the nation that year. Best player of that draft is Kawhi Leonard, but we are talking about college basketball in the year 2011, hands down it was Kemba.
Great point. And EVERYONE knew he was the guy that year. Even those that lived in Provo, Utah

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom