Grantland On Preseason All-americans | The Boneyard

Grantland On Preseason All-americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems pretty fair but I think it underestimates his ability to score and how that will impact our team. Also, not sure why they called the team "perhaps the most combustible team in the country". By all accounts these is one of the most grounded and fun loving group of kids UConn has had, and Drummond seems to be fitting in great.

Reaction Score
who knows, but i dont get how harrison barnes is a 2nd team all american. He should be first. Also Ashton Gibbs is good but he aint a #1 or #2 all american caliber player. He shoots lights out as we saw in the Big East tournament and was the only thing keeping Pitt within striking distance of Uconn otherwise it would have been a blow out, but his game will not translate at all to the NBA

Reaction Score
Seems pretty fair but I think it underestimates his ability to score and how that will impact our team. Also, not sure why they called the team "perhaps the most combustible team in the country". By all accounts these is one of the most grounded and fun loving group of kids UConn has had, and Drummond seems to be fitting in great.

The "most combustible" bit caught my eye too. I'm guessing, based on the context of what's around it, that he's referring to the fact that the team is young (although maybe it has something to do with off-court distractions), I'm not sure. He also said it was the "weirdest" team in the country, which I guess might be referring to the depth of talent, but lack of clearly defined roles (I'm guessing that's what he's thinking, I dunno).

Reaction Score
The "most combustible" bit caught my eye too. I'm guessing, based on the context of what's around it, that he's referring to the fact that the team is young (although maybe it has something to do with off-court distractions), I'm not sure. He also said it was the "weirdest" team in the country, which I guess might be referring to the depth of talent, but lack of clearly defined roles (I'm guessing that's what he's thinking, I dunno).
I coudln't read the whole thing, I was laughing to hard at " incandescent Josh Boone".

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Fair analysis but Jamal Crawford for best-case scenario? I'm not even saying Jeremy will be better than Crawford (who's an explosive 6th man), but BEST CASE?

This kid is a First Team All-American -- I think we can also agree that his upside is "NBA Starter," right?

Reaction Score
Fair analysis but Jamal Crawford for best-case scenario? I'm not even saying Jeremy will be better than Crawford (who's an explosive 6th man), but BEST CASE?

This kid is a First Team All-American -- I think we can also agree that his upside is "NBA Starter," right?

I had a similar reaction at first and then I remembered how talented Crawford is. His problems have always been mental and attitude related. If Jeremy can be Crawford with his head screwed on right, that's a hell of a player. I heard Lamb compared to a prime Eddie Jones which I like more because it incorporates his potential as a two-way player.

First Team AA doesn't have anything to do with NBA potential which I'm sure you realize. Look at Marshall (who I don't think should be 1st team AA) who has all the look of a great college player who will be OK in the pros.

Reaction Score
I know I'm a homer but Jeremy had the shortest video and little commentary. Is Marshall as good as those 'hyped' highlights reveal?

Sullinger is legit but a freshman on the 1st team? That nullifies the list for me.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I had a similar reaction at first and then I remembered how talented Crawford is. His problems have always been mental and attitude related. If Jeremy can be Crawford with his head screwed on right, that's a hell of a player. I heard Lamb compared to a prime Eddie Jones which I like more because it incorporates his potential as a two-way player.

First Team AA doesn't have anything to do with NBA potential which I'm sure you realize. Look at Marshall (who I don't think should be 1st team AA) who has all the look of a great college player who will be OK in the pros.

Understood but Jeremy being on the First Team is because of his (NBA) upside, isn't it? He's on the First Team because people think he's gonna be a star at UConn and beyond. Marshall was named to the First Team because UNC went from garbage to amazing once he took over. He is a great COLLEGE player. I think people see more when they look at Lamb. They see a 6'5" player who can score from anywhere on the field and whose long arms will create havoc on D -- at this level and the next.

I agree and disagree about Crawford. He was a bit of a ballhog when he came into the league, true. But his problem now is simply that he doesn't play good defense, and I don't think that's a mental issue -- he's just not very good at it. He's a combo guard who doesn't play D well -- that's his problem. I don't think he's shown any attitude for several years. As a Celtics fan I always coveted him as a bench scorer. But that's what he is. I still think Jeremy has higher upside; whether he gets there is another story.

Reaction Score
Grantland writers are clowns. They are older hipsters who just started watching sports when they got the job.

Reaction Score
Understood but Jeremy being on the First Team is because of his (NBA) upside, isn't it? He's on the First Team because people think he's gonna be a star at UConn and beyond. Marshall was named to the First Team because UNC went from garbage to amazing once he took over. He is a great COLLEGE player. I think people see more when they look at Lamb. They see a 6'5" player who can score from anywhere on the field and whose long arms will create havoc on D -- at this level and the next.

I agree and disagree about Crawford. He was a bit of a ballhog when he came into the league, true. But his problem now is simply that he doesn't play good defense, and I don't think that's a mental issue -- he's just not very good at it. He's a combo guard who doesn't play D well -- that's his problem. I don't think he's shown any attitude for several years. As a Celtics fan I always coveted him as a bench scorer. But that's what he is. I still think Jeremy has higher upside; whether he gets there is another story.

Ok, I can see what you are saying. We both agree that a defense playing Jamal Crawford is a helluva player.

Reaction Score
Lamb's upside would be 'dare I say' Magic Johnson? I mean if the kid develops pg skills with his height and length he could conceivably be the next big NBA PG. Personally I want to see him at the point guard position at the next level, at least offensive possessions, similar to Magic.

Reaction Score
That's a huge stretch. But I like the optimism!

There are plenty of people with the height and length, but I'm not sure what you saw in his passing that makes you think he could reach Magic in terms of playing point.

Reaction Score
You gotta take all these articles and lists with a grain of salt. No one knows the UConn team as well as their fans and writers, whether they pretend to be knowledgeable or not. Napier won't be our only (or best) sharpshooter.

Reaction Score
No offense, but Magic Johnson? lol dude, that might be the funniest comparison I've heard yet. If you're just saying they are similar in that they are both tall guys who can play PG, then I agree. We really haven't seen much from Lamb in the way of passing skills though

Reaction Score
The writer was obviously a UNC-homer. I could buy Marshall on 1st team (he won't be, I don't think, but he's clearly valuable). I expect Barnes 1st team, but 2nd team, okay.

But then John Henson on that list as well? Over Terrence Jones?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I've been watching some of the old basketball games on NBA TV and both Jeremy's physical appearance and his style of play are very reminescent of George Gervin. Gervin is 6'7" with a similar build, but I think Jeremy's arms are actually a little longer and Jeremy is a bit quicker and dribbles closer to the floor...Gervin is in the NBA's top 50 of all time...not bad company if he can get there and a huge step above Crawford.

Reaction Score
Part 2 out. Another UNC player (Zeller) on the list. So this guy has UNC with 4 of their starting 5 in the Top 15 players in the country. Has that ever happened? Even in the year Florida repeated it didn't happen. Not more than 2. Duke in 2002 was the closest, with 3 (Williams, Dunleavy, Boozer).

In my opinion, just foolish and shows rank homerism. That's fine when the article is: why my team will win, but if there was any attempt to be taken seriously, he lost it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7186126/part-two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger