Grant | The Boneyard

Grant

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Anyone watching this? I'm finding it enlightening and well-produced, almost at a Ken Burns level. The reenactments have high production values. If this documentary becomes the definitive public record of Grant, his image as a corrupt drunkard will have been almost completely rehabilitated.

My one quibble with it is that in battle scenes, it's like troops have modern sniper rifles when in reality, those rifles weren't all that accurate.

Reaction Score
I watched all three episodes. I'm fairly familiar with the Civil War. I think they did one of the better jobs of conveying the intensity and bloody nature of the fight. The Ken Burns thing never really brought home the true scale of the carnage. It's always hard to give a true portrayal of the horrific magnitude of the battles especially something as insane as Cold Harbor. The movie "Glory" did that exceptionally well. They also weaved pretty seamlessly in narrative from illustrations, to photographs, to re-enactments to on camera presenters.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Very well done. Grant presented in a matter of fact manner. I don't think people really understand how intelligent he was when it came to battle strategy. His knowledge of his opponents from his years at West Point was an eye opener.

The scene that really got me was the return to the Wilderness and the showing of the skeletons from 2 years prior. Grim reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange
Top Bottom