Grand Canyon / AZ? | The Boneyard

Grand Canyon / AZ?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Anyone here go to Grand Canyon South Rim and surrounding area from Sedona, AZ ?

I'm thinking about going end of May 2020. I've never gone there before but GC / Horshoebend / Antelope Canyon /etc and Sedona, AZ looks amazing. I would fly into Phoenix and drive to Sedona for about 4 days and take trips out to those places as well explore Sedona.

I wanted to go end of December and visit GC from Vegas, but sounds like it may be chilly for that...... plus much longer drive.

Reaction Score

I'm thinking about going end of May 2020. I've never gone there before but GC / Horshoebend / Antelope Canyon /etc and Sedona, AZ looks amazing. I would fly into Phoenix and drive to Sedona for about 4 days and take trips out to those places as well explore Sedona.

I wanted to go end of December and visit GC from Vegas, but sounds like it may be chilly for that. plus much longer drive.
If you head to the Grand Canyon from Vegas, you go by the Hoover Dam and you can also go up part of the famous old Rt 66. We did it last year when we went out to the Boise State football game. Flew from Boise to Las Vegas, drove to Grand Canyon South Rim, stayed overnight, drove to Hoover Dam and then stayed a few days in Vegas. Great trip.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If you aren't afraid of heights, a hot air balloon ride over the desert is quite spectacular. The one I took was outside Phoenix so didn't go over the canyon, but it's amazingly serene. Sedona is tres cool, some great SW cooking there. Eat all the chiles you can stand.

Also, in Phoenix, Pizzeria Bianco and Vincent's at Camelback highly recommended if you're going to be there for a night or two.

Got nothing for the GC other than it's spectacular. I wasn't putting my fat ass on a mule do go down the bottom, but I did take a great photo of my wife on a rock outcropping with the vast canyon as backdrop that is probably the best photo I've ever taken.

Reaction Score
It is spectacular. If you stand on the south rim as other other tourists come out and see the view, they all say the same things, either "Awesome," "Wow" or "!#%!"

We took the helicopter ride and it's a sphincter shrinker.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I just spent a couple of weeks in Phoenix for work. Did not have time for Sedona this round but will do so next time. Tempe is a cool place to visit on your way out of or back to the airport. Fuzzy’s Taco Shop downtown or Thirsty Lion in the Tempe Marketplace.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We use to have a time share in Sedona. Absolutely beautiful area. The Red Rock formations are worth the time spent hiking and exploring them. Must see is Bell Rock formation, Cathedral Rock and Snoopy Rock. Another must see/ explore is Tlaquepaque Arts Village. Some fantastic arts store and some good food. A Pink Jeep Tour and a visit to the Chapel of the Holy Cross are musts. And if you are a steak eater, the Silver Saddle on Main Street is the place to go.

It takes about 2 hours to drive to the Grand Canyon from Sedona. Expect a full 8 to 10 hour day with drive time. The views are spectacular!

Reaction Score
My brother in law Mike used to live in the Phoenix area. Back in March 2006 we went out to visit him for a week. On one of those days during that trip my wife and I drove up to the Grand Canyon. Mike suggested that we spend the day at the canyon, and then stay the night in Sedona. He gave us a hotel suggestion, and we booked it. My wife and I drove to Sedona after our day at the canyon in the dark on those crazy switchback roads. Obviously, driving at night we could not see the scenery we were driving by. The next morning when we got up, I opened the curtain, and my jaw dropped when I saw those amazing red rock formations.

Reaction Score
Beauty’s absolutely in the eyes of the beholders, but 4 nights in Sedona may be excessive. To each one’s own, but Sedona attracts flocks of wankers like flies to lights on summer nights. No disrespect intended for others who actually enjoy Sedona.

After 2 prior visits strongly suggesting I’m a fly, wanker or both (1 for work with extended weekend, 1 by spousal choice), I’ll never return to Sedona. Some great scenery replicated or exceeded elsewhere in northern AZ, good restaurants at excessive tourist prices, etc. 2 nights is enough.

Quirky perhaps, but we enjoyed the Grand Canyon train from Williams, a night each in rough around the edges Flagstaff and low key Williams (one of the few remaining relatively authentic Rt 66 towns), and touring around rural areas with far fewer S California wanker tourists. Again, to each one’s own and shared solely as a well-intended Sedona alternative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I wanted to go end of December and visit GC from Vegas, but sounds like it may be chilly for that...... plus much longer drive.
Sounds awesome! I'm doing Vegas, GC South Rim, Page (Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend), Bryce, Zion, Vegas in April 2020. The drive from Vegas/Phoenix to GC isn't very different time-wise.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bryce, Zion

Years ago I spent about a week in St. Georges, UT with my family. We spent one day at Bryce and had several forays into Zion. If you get tired of the National Park crowds, just outside St. Georges is Snow Canyon State Park, nearly as spectacular as the NPs without the crowds.

As a side note, I think Bryce is the most photogenic place I've ever been. Point a camera in any direction and something good will probably happen. Crazy rock formations and brilliant colors.

Reaction Score
Bryce, Zion, Red Rocks, Snow Canyon, etc ... some of the greatest views, drives, etc experienced and pictures taken have been on full moon or heavily moon lit nights. Obviously, very different perspectives than on darker nights let alone during sunrise, midday, and sunset.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom