Graham Smith article: It's Time for UConn & UMass to Make a Bold Move | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Graham Smith article: It's Time for UConn & UMass to Make a Bold Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn needs to win games, put fans in the seats and in turn, improve the value of their football contract. FCS is a waste of money for a school like UConn. There will be bigger financial losses and we will lose a ton of marketing value for the university as a whole.

Reaction Score
There is an expression in hiking, "never make a decision when you are going uphill." That's because it can be very tough going uphill. That's when thoughts about quitting creep in. You are you mentally at your weakest. It is easy to want to turn around and head back down. But you are far better off toughing it out, getting to the top of the rise and considering your options. To me, UConn did this when it made a decision on it's athletic future. It made a decision at the worst possible time. When football and basketball were lost. This stupid idea that we need James Madison to secure our future is just more horrible decision making that borders on panic thinking. Do not make decisions when you are weary. Do not make deisions based on fear, in business, in life or in sports.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I got to “ UConn effectively kicked out of the the American conference “ before I stopped reading.
You stole my quote! I had the exact same reaction. Plus he spells collage with a K for no evident reason. DUMB!

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
In basketball, which has been established since the early 90s, an obvious no brainer... not with football bro.. a pipedream at best.. Maybe we can pry Rutgers away somehow (they just can't win in the B1G in football at all).. that's about it....
There many lower tier P5 teams in the same boat as Rutgers. They need OOC wins to be bowl eligible. Not going to get many wins in their conferences. That is why Purdue, Cuse,B.C.,Duke, N.C. State, Maryland, and North Carolina are all scheduled to come to the Rent in future years. They see Uconn as a very beatable opponent. Also, CBS Sports Net is a plus.

AD Benedict has shown that he is more than capable of putting together a schedule with a mix of P5 and G5 teams.And a pay day game also.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rutgers... every conference needs a cellar
Yet the cellar dwellers of the Big Ten are raking in 50 million/year. I wouldn't mind that for UConn. Rutgers hit the jackpot!

Reaction Score
Yet the cellar dwellers of the Big Ten are raking in 50 million/year. I wouldn't mind that for UConn. Rutgers hit the jackpot!
UConn is the ultimate cellar dweller. Ranked 130 in FBS. Hard to get $$$ without fans and performance

Reaction Score
The conference that never was, but should have been:

UConn
Rutgers
Syracuse
BC
Temple
Penn State
West Virginia
Pitt
Maryland
Cincinnati

Reaction Score
UConn is the ultimate cellar dweller. Ranked 130 in FBS. Hard to get $$$ without fans and performance
Some cellar dwellers are luckier than others. When it mattered, Rutgers had the numbers as far as cable subscribers or they would be in the same boat as UConn. So it wasn't fans and performance that mattered for them but how many subscribers the BTN would get by adding them.

Reaction Score
Some cellar dwellers are luckier than others. When it mattered, Rutgers had the numbers as far as cable subscribers or they would be in the same boat as UConn. So it wasn't fans and performance that mattered for them but how many subscribers the BTN would get by adding them.
Rutgers should not be in the Big 10- Terrible fit

Reaction Score
This is the kind of grant/donation UConn needs. If Maine can get it, so can we. That kind of money could get UConn some Nobel prize winners on the faculty, dorm upgrades, and a new research focus so we can move toward membership in AAU. Maybe we can also pay decent salary for FB coaches.

Reaction Score
They should go FBS with that trust fund behind them. Wyoming was able to do it. Why not Maine?

Reaction Score
My idea is from a UMass perspective and bowl access. Army and UConn will never go for an affiliation, but say each is willing to schedule the MAC 4 games. UMass goes in for the full 8 game conference schedule with the MAC.

So what is the prices, some scheduling and bowl access. Ya, know you guys have no interest. But it sounds more realistic than the garbage article for this thread.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
A regional model for UConn is BC Cuse Rutgers Maryland Penn St UVA
That’s the ideal scenario. But I have a better chance of spending this weekend with Maria Sharapova in Fiji than those schools (plus UConn) forming a conference.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
UConn
UMass
UNH
Army
Buffalo
Villanova (or Temple)
Delaware
Marshall
Old Dominion
James Madison
Ohio
Miami (OH)

meh

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
My idea is from a UMass perspective and bowl access. Army and UConn will never go for an affiliation, but say each is willing to schedule the MAC 4 games. UMass goes in for the full 8 game conference schedule with the MAC.

So what is the prices, some scheduling and bowl access. Ya, know you guys have no interest. But it sounds more realistic than the garbage article for this thread.

the MAC hasn't gone for this in the past - why would they do it now? The conference itself is struggling financially - how does UMass help it?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Given the exact same resources (schedule, TV contract) as BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers, etc., we would put an equal (or better) product on the field. Our history in the Big East proved that.

Reaction Score
Hear you, the draw for the MAC is Army, perhaps a few BB from UConn and would allow Bowling Green to shift back to the west division where they belong. So move BG back to the west for 7 teams, then the Army/UConn combo and UMass in the east for 7 teams. Unlikely but like I've said, better than this guys plan. UMass gains an affiliation as looking at conference and ruling out AAC, knowing it's appeal is gone now that you left, what else is there? Every other G5 conference is heavily southern. Dreaming of a break away east coast conference. The hope that a few more teams go independent is probably what UConn and UMass are hoping. But there are times when a conference affiliation has it's advantages.

Reaction Score
Hear you, the draw for the MAC is Army, perhaps a few BB from UConn and would allow Bowling Green to shift back to the west division where they belong. So move BG back to the west for 7 teams, then the Army/UConn combo and UMass in the east for 7 teams. Unlikely but like I've said, better than this guys plan. UMass gains an affiliation as looking at conference and ruling out AAC, knowing it's appeal is gone now that you left, what else is there? Every other G5 conference is heavily southern. Dreaming of a break away east coast conference. The hope that a few more teams go independent is probably what UConn and UMass are hoping. But there are times when a conference affiliation has it's advantages.
UConn is much more of a national brand than any of those schools. Joining them in football makes no sense for us and would kill interest in the program. If we have to be an independent in football for the foreseeable future to play a national schedule, so be it.

Reaction Score
Yes, get that along with Army and that is why package it as a scheduling alliance for you guys and an affiliation for UMass. Army routinely schedules a few MAC teams. So adding UMass and UConn to the 4 game package would be fine.

Reaction Score
Smith poses a new path for the Huskies, forging ahead with UMass, Delaware, Villanova, William & Mary, etc.

While it may seem far fetched, these scenarios have been circulating quite a bit. It fits what Diaco was saying about committing to the regional model.

It's worthy of a read.

So unbelievably dumb and somehow you got two likes.

C

Chief00

There is an expression in hiking, "never make a decision when you are going uphill." That's because it can be very tough going uphill. That's when thoughts about quitting creep in. You are you mentally at your weakest. It is easy to want to turn around and head back down. But you are far better off toughing it out, getting to the top of the rise and considering your options. To me, UConn did this when it made a decision on it's athletic future. It made a decision at the worst possible time. When football and basketball were lost. This stupid idea that we need James Madison to secure our future is just more horrible decision making that borders on panic thinking. Do not make decisions when you are weary. Do not make deisions based on fear, in business, in life or in sports.
For me it was often easier going uphill than downhill. Easier on the toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom