Graham Hays on Caroline | The Boneyard

Graham Hays on Caroline

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
I hope a guard heavy lineup anchored by Caroline bring home a big win tomorrow night... This could be her homecoming...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's going to take some time for this team to learn how to win, at least at the level it expects and in the kind of settings in which it's used to doing so. Looking to someone who plays with such contempt for losing is a good place to start.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's going to take some time for this team to learn how to win, at least at the level it expects and in the kind of settings in which it's used to doing so. Looking to someone who plays with such contempt for losing is a good place to start.

And that's why it's Caroline Doty's team this year, and possibly next, even though she's not the best player. Her natural competitiveness and toughness, combined with the additional competitive fire spawned from having to watch 1.5 seasons from the bench, on top of her playing the PG position, make her the straw that stirs the drink. As pretty and girl-next-door-ish as she looks off the court, she has an frighteningly intense glare on it. During the huddle-ups after a foul, I see her looking like she wants to rip someone's head off...and this makes me smile.

GG

Reaction Score
Nice read. I hope CD stays healthy.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What a great article. Many thanks for posting. My prayers for C to have two more glorious seasons. She deserves it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I hope a guard heavy lineup anchored by Caroline bring home a big win tomorrow night... This could be her homecoming...

They'll have to make shots. From John A's twitter: Geno says "With our small lineup (four guards) we have advantage if we make our shots. We don't, it goes away."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nice piece. It sounds exactly like the Caroline I have been telling you guys about for 5 years.

Reaction Score
Caroline makes the other players better and tougher. Last year, UCONN got pushed around by ND, Georgetown and Baylor.........This year, nobody pushed her team around........You see the players like Heather, Tiff play with more gusto and confidence.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Caroline makes the other players better and tougher. Last year, UCONN got pushed around by ND, Georgetown and Baylor.........This year, nobody pushed her team around........You see the players like Heather, Tiff play with more gusto and confidence.

If this is so ... what does that say about Maya? That she's not a leader? That she doesn't bring out the best in her teammates? That's would seem to be the implication. I bet that would not get many "likes" around here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is some truth in Maya not bringing out toughness in the team. Maya's toughness was a quiet intensity not the same type of Philly in your face like Caroline. Caroline will not just want the team to stand strong she will not want them backing down to anyone in a more assertive way, nose to nose.

Reaction Score
There is some truth in Maya not bringing out toughness in the team. Maya's toughness was a quiet intensity not the same type of Philly in your face like Caroline. Caroline will not just want the team to stand strong she will not want them backing down to anyone in a more assertive way, nose to nose.

You are, after all, talking about, women's basketball. Right?

If, for you, "Philly in your face" means something other than a 2/3 pointer shot "in your face," then I must confess that I don't understand your meaning.
You were not talking about street fighting, right?

Peace,

John Fryer

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

If, for you, "Philly in your face" means something other than a 2/3 pointer shot "in your face," then I must confess that I don't understand your meaning.

Peace,

John Fryer
It means Caroline takes no flack from no one. Just as Graham describes her. It is indeed the toughness of a street fighter and says you aren't bring that in here.

Reaction Score
It says that Maya, as wonderful as she is, and as great as she is, wasn't the best leader we've ever had. (She wasn't a bad one mind you, but she wasn't a Diana, a Sue, a Renee, and a Caroline) Sometimes the best players aren't the best leaders, and it's harder to do it from a forward position.

Reaction Score
If this is so ... what does that say about Maya? That she's not a leader? That she doesn't bring out the best in her teammates? That's would seem to be the implication. I bet that would not get many "likes" around here.

MM is and has been a stellar baller and that can not be argued, she was a leader here for certain, but Coach let the team rely far to much on her output, so in the end MM was not in a position to get the others to step up their respective games.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Peace,

John Fryer
Im sure Philly isnt the ONLY place where "in your face' people are from.

its the silliest quote thats pumped out in Husky Nation (Meg Culmo says that crap too)

Brooklyn & Chicago has some "in your face" people also.

let that Philly crap go

JS

Reaction Score

its the silliest quote thats pumped out in Husky Nation (Meg Culmo says that crap too)

let that Philly crap go
Caroline played HS ball in the Philly area and Icebear is from PA. Why would he refer to Brooklyn or Chicago?

Speaking of letting things go . . .

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

let that Philly crap go
It is an attitude that folks from Philly are widely known for. They tend just like Geno to be blunt, sarcastic and directly in your face. The kids get it everyday in practice and Graham noted the attitude in Caroline in the article. I was giving it its regional context. It is an urbanesque attitude but Philly has distilled it like a fine cognac, well... more like a raw 100 proof whiskey.

Philly fans are known to have booed Santa Claus and pelted Santa with snowballs. Snopes on this fact.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Caroline played HS ball in the Philly area and Icebear is from PA. Why would he refer to Brooklyn or Chicago?

Speaking of letting things go . . .
or Chino

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

let that Philly crap go

There's a reason Philly fans are the worst on the planet!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

No, they just handled things differently. Maya was more of a leader by example. She worked hard, said little, and expected others to watch and copy. Doty is a little more of an "in your face" leader.

Both styles are good. In fact, it could be awkward to have too many "in your face" leaders on the same team, so they were complementary, not conflicting.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Exactly, Phil. Maya was Eisenhower, Doty is Patton.

Reaction Score
This time is more aggressive this season than anytime the past 2 years. Tara noticed the difference that this UCONN played in your face all night and Caroline Doty is the main reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom