Graham Hayes: Sophs could be key for Uconn | The Boneyard

Graham Hayes: Sophs could be key for Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good article.

I think the sophs will be A big key, but not necessarily THE key.

Tiff will be a big key, as will Kelly. Hopefully, Caroline will be a big key too.

Additionally, the freshmen could be a big key. Kaleena looks like a very big impact player and Brianna and Kiah looks like real contributors as well.

Regarding the sophs, Michala may be a real contributor as a bench player. She has a knack for certain things like offensive rebounds and putbacks.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i thought Kelly's comments were interesting... "That's what killed us in the end [last season]; we just kind of stood there and said, 'Here, Maya, bail us out.'"

i'm not sure i thought the team just kind of stood there. but i guess from their perspective, they left it up to Maya to make it happen. the good thing is i think the whole team feels that way and it gives them motivation and opportunity to have each player shoulder some burden instead of letting Maya shoulder a majority of it...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
i thought Kelly's comments were interesting... "That's what killed us in the end [last season]; we just kind of stood there and said, 'Here, Maya, bail us out.'"

i'm not sure i thought the team just kind of stood there. but i guess from their perspective, they left it up to Maya to make it happen. the good thing is i think the whole team feels that way and it gives them motivation and opportunity to have each player shoulder some burden instead of letting Maya shoulder a majority of it...
I think this is something of a natural phenomenon when you have one super player, especially if she is a senior. Some of that may have been Geno's game plan overall, but especially in the N.D. game. He said that last week. Bria and Stef were frosh, so deferring seemed natural. Kelly was not a stellar shooter. And Tiff struggled.

This year, everyone knows that they do not have Maya. They have been preparing for this since April. This team will rarely look like the team that lost to N.D. In particular, the 4 returning starters will be more assertive. And we have more depth and real quality depth than last year. That's why I think a #2 ranking is more accurate than a #6 ranking. :)

Reaction Score
It is good that the players realize that short coming (I do think Geno needs to take responsibility for this as well) now we get to see the growth of a more seasoned team, should be a great year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom