Graduated From Kollege Today | The Boneyard

Graduated From Kollege Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
does life get better. Send help.
Nope, the good old days are officially behind you. You will now need to learn a little thing called responsibility. I've been stuck with that monkey on my back for the past 33 years and it sucks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
does life get better. Send help.

Yes. And no.

But mostly yes.

There's less of a safety net, but there's a big world out there and you can go anywhere in it.

If you want to get a job in an office and put on a suit every day, you can. If you want to move to the sun and serve umbrella drinks to tourists for a few years, you can. If you want to go milk yaks in Tibet for your own yak yogurt startup, you can do that, too.

At this very moment, you are probably the freest person on the planet.

But that fades by the second, so don't waste time.

Good luck.

Reaction Score
Mechanical engineering landed me a job! Wohoo! At least I did that right ;)

Seriously, congrats. I hope you enjoy what you do. You've entered a different chapter of your life. Work hard have fun. Be professional at work. Act like a just graduated somewhere else.

Reaction Score
College was great. I loved it.

My 20s were great. I moved to Boston, got married, hung out and drank with friends.

I just turned 30, and so far my 30s have been great. I'm actually good at my job now, I have the money and freedom to travel, and so do my friends. You start to lose some people you care about, which sucks, but if you're a good and outgoing person you can continue to fill your life with awesome people.

I loved college--I had a blast--but I don't wholly understand why people see it as the best years of their life. It makes me sad. I guess it depends on what you are looking for from life; there's no reason why it can't keep getting better.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yes. And no.

But mostly yes.

There's less of a safety net, but there's a big world out there and you can go anywhere in it.

If you want to get a job in an office and put on a suit every day, you can. If you want to move to the sun and serve umbrella drinks to tourist for a few years, you can. If you want to go milk yaks in Tibet for your own yak yogurt startup, you can do that, too.

At this very second, you are probably the freest person on the planet.

But that fades by the second, so don't waste time.

Good luck.

My 20s were great. I moved to Boston, got married, hung out and drank with friends.

I just turned 30, and so far my 30s have been great. I'm actually good at my job now, I have the money and freedom to travel, and so do my friends. You start to lose some people you care about, which sucks, but if you're a good and outgoing person you can continue to fill your life with awesome people.

I loved college--I had a blast--but I don't wholly understand why people see it as the best years of their life. It makes me sad. I guess it depends on what you are looking for from life; there's no reason why it can't keep getting better.
Seriously, congrats. I hope you enjoy what you do. You've entered a different chapter of your life. Work hard have fun. Be professional at work. Act like a just graduated somewhere else.

These are great pieces of advice. Thank you guys.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Did they burn the ROTC Hangar down? Seriously, where did my alma mata bury its young cadets years after I left? Do they meet in Arjona and drill in Van Der Mehden ?
Money for Hillary speech but not
For military?
LOL. GOOD LUCK

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Graduated in '01, still miss it and loved every second... But you got a lot of good stuff ahead of you. Next couple of years, you can pretend to still be a student while you still know people there... Except now you have money. It's great. Enjoy the hell out of your 20's, slow down a bit in your 30's... Having a wife, a house, and now a kid is pretty freakin great... As is getting to brainwash the little guy to follow UConn from Day 1. Be proactive and make the career/life you want, don't let anyone else dictate the terms.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Congrats CTB!

Now, you have 44% of my total likes. Please don't let real life get between us.
Challenge accepted.
Good to see you mastered the subtleties amongst the 'cs' and 'ks'.
Wasn't much of an English guy. Stuck to math and physics, forgive me!

Reaction Score

You just turned 30 and you just got married and you have no kids.

What's that boneyard line? Oh yeah, wait 20 minutes. You'll be dry-humping your college memories.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you don't tether yourself with debt and/or children, you can plot many courses.
If you have kids or take on a lot of debt, you eliminate many courses.
Not to say that's a bad thing - the spouse, 2.5 kids, and 30 year mortgage is just one course. But, unlike many others, once you get down it a ways, it's impossible to easily change course.

As for me, I didn't particularly like high school or college. Just my bit - getting loaded and chasing skirt just never appealed to me like it did to my mates in North. My life has gotten better every year since leaving.

Good luck. I envy your position and feel badly for you at the same time.

Reaction Score
You just turned 30 and you just got married.
I got married 5 years ago, and I'd been with my wife for a while before the marriage (5 years +).

Things can change, for sure. Life is complicated; you aren't the first person to say something like this, and I'm not the first person to be happy 5 (10) years into a relationship to still have things go wrong. But I feel pretty damn good about the choices I've made.

And, indeed, I did just turn 30. At some point my body will start breaking down and that will suck, and, worse, I'll start losing more people that I care about than I already have. That's inevitable. But I'm optimistic by nature--as @CTBasketball can attest when we were running our Bubble Watch--and I know many older people who are happy, vibrant, and unrepentant. I can only hope I'm lucky enough to keep my health and enjoy the fruits of different ages. But there's only so much we can control, so that doesn't worry me too much.

Reaction Score
You just turned 30 and you just got married and you have no kids.

What's that boneyard line? Oh yeah, wait 20 minutes. You'll be dry-humping your college memories.
Hey I got married last year for the first time and Im 45 with no kids. Sometimes I wonder "why I did get married?". Married life is tough as it was so much easier when it is just me and no one to nag me. LOL!

Reaction Score
As I was leaving for college someone told me that the next 4 years will be the best of your life, they are the years you have between your mother and your wife. You will eat better and have more money in your pocket assuming you find a job. Some day you will get married and probably have kids. You will have responsibilities that you have to face everyday and the process of facing them will make you a full time adult. Your goals will change from personal to family and it happens naturally. You wouldn't change any of this but you will have days when you look back on your college years with a big smile on your face. Best of luck to you.

Reaction Score
Well, eventually you will earn more money which will make you more free than you have ever been. However, there is a cruel twist. Your job will eventually make you a slave to that money and you won't even have time to spend it. My biggest advice is never keep a job that you have anxiety going to. If it's sunday night and your dreading work on Monday....like really really dreading it.....QUIT! Life is too short.

Earn money, date a bunch of girls, go on vacations, etc. Hopefully you aren't married yet....once that happens there isn't much hope for you. At least thats what my married friends keep telling me (I kid---sorta). Good luck out there! You always have the huskies to make BBall season fun!

Reaction Score
I graduated in 4 years with luck and a lot of summer classes and thought I was smart for doing so. 3 months after getting a job, I was very jealous of my friend who was on the 7 year plan.

Reaction Score
I got married 5 years ago, and I'd been with my wife for a while before the marriage (5 years +).

Things can change, for sure. Life is complicated; you aren't the first person to say something like this, and I'm not the first person to be happy 5 (10) years into a relationship to still have things go wrong. But I feel pretty damn good about the choices I've made.

And, indeed, I did just turn 30. At some point my body will start breaking down and that will suck, and, worse, I'll start losing more people that I care about than I already have. That's inevitable. But I'm optimistic by nature--as @CTBasketball can attest when we were running our Bubble Watch--and I know many older people who are happy, vibrant, and unrepentant. I can only hope I'm lucky enough to keep my health and enjoy the fruits of different ages. But there's only so much we can control, so that doesn't worry me too much.

I wish you luck and I like to be optimistic as well.

Kids are great, I love my kids....but I'm telling you once you have kids, you will be drooling over the lifestyle you had in college LOL. And at some point your lovely wife may also get a tad more lets say cranky? Finances and stress get a little more wratcheted up in the house when you add children to the mix.

I'm not trying to talk you out of having kids, if you want them go for it full throttle. If you're on the fence, then DONT. But damn, was college incredible. I look back at thursday-sunday and think it was some fantasy world.

Reaction Score
The best part about being an adult is finding out that you don't have to do anything different than you've already been doing (except the late-night partying and the overdrinking), but now you have enough money to do those things in a more fun way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom