Graduate transfers | The Boneyard

Graduate transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a new wave of "recruiting" right? I mean if you need a piece of the puzzle for the next year and you can pick up a late season 4 year kid out of HS OR else maybe wait out the end of season to see what's available immediately you may have to wait. If you have a program and a team that would attract an impact senior who hasn't won anything but would now have a chance to not only get to the dance but potentially win the pot of gold your program would peak his interest. It certainly keeps the fans interest as the names are thrown out there.

I mean Miller will help, how much we don't really know. We do know the Huskies become more experienced immediately and that's not easy to do with incoming frosh. Kromah was better than we imagined even though he didn't have lights out numbers he did so many things vital to a team.

This is "fun" although with the Gibbs thing now though. Well fun as in excruciating LOL

Reaction Score
I suspect this is the last year where graduate transfers can transfer and eligible immediately. NCAA realizing most graduate programs are two years. Would be harsh, but expected of the NCAA, to derail college athletes and their careers a bit more. Wouldn't be surprised if starting next year grad. transfers were forced to sit a year unless their specific program they will be studying is only a 1 year graduate program.

Reaction Score
I have zero issues with this rule. Im not just saying this because its helped us either. Its just funny how some people in the media criticize this. At least this whole thing is mostly about academics because the main reason for the kids transferring is to attend graduate school. Its a win-win for everyone involved. I like this version of one and done a lot better than what goes on at Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I suspect this is the last year where graduate transfers can transfer and eligible immediately. NCAA realizing most graduate programs are two years. Would be harsh, but expected of the NCAA, to derail college athletes and their careers a bit more. Wouldn't be surprised if starting next year grad. transfers were forced to sit a year unless their specific program they will be studying is only a 1 year graduate program.

Is there a study that shows most are 2 years?

Reaction Score
Is there a study that shows most are 2 years?
It was in some article I read, lost in the internet now (not really, could probably dig it up on ESPN) but from what I remember the article discussed the fact that the NCAA is considering revising the graduate transfer rule. One of the reasons being that many graduate programs are two years (maybe I exaggerated saying most) while these kids are just going for one year to finish up their eligibility and then bouncing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another side effect of this could be more kids redshirting their freshmen year. That way they could earn a degree in four calendar years but only expend three eligibility years.

Reaction Score
It was in some article I read, lost in the internet now (not really, could probably dig it up on ESPN) but from what I remember the article discussed the fact that the NCAA is considering revising the graduate transfer rule. One of the reasons being that many graduate programs are two years (maybe I exaggerated saying most) while these kids are just going for one year to finish up their eligibility and then bouncing.

Since colleges have gotten rid of TA funding for MAs in the last 10 years in a bid to cut costs, the model for many MAs (outside of business and fine arts) is 1 year with a summer/fall for the thesis or project. So, 1 1/2, but the new model encourages minimal credits for thesis (1 cr. for instance) so students don't have to incur a major financial investment.

The MA, outside education and business, is going to become a "toes in the water" degree. do I want to spend additional time going to an advanced degree? It used to be that MAs were a lot more rigorous and preparatory but most undergrads looking to advance now are being advised to think of PhD programs.

Reaction Score
All bachelors programs are 4 years, and nobody in the NCAA or ESPN gives a duck about UK kids going for only one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom