Graduate Transfers Commentary | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Graduate Transfers Commentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another thought: Kevin Ollie is 77-29 (.726) when he has at least one graduate transfer and 20-15 (.571) when he does not. Of course, this is a rather meaningless statistic and I'm not implying that graduate transfers are the reason for the difference in winning percentage, but in the Kevin Ollie era we seem to have higher quality teams when graduate transfers are around.

Still boggles my mind that we didn't pursue any following the championship. Lost 6 scholarship players and only brought 3 guys in; two of which were Rakim Lubin and Sam Cassell Jr. Only had 10 scholarship players. That was the year to aggressively pursue the grad transfer market, but I guess KO learned from that mistake with his pursuit of Gibbs and Miller.

Still hope we add a quality big who can at least push Facey, Brimah, and Enoch for playing time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Was this year's roster still affected by scholarship reductions?

Dunno, but it was definitely still affected by the recruiting restrictions. Those left a deficit of players in the pipeline, who should have matriculated 1-3 years ago.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think that having hard and fast rules on this stuff is the wrong way to go. If you have holes on the roster and can get a talented player or two that fills needs, you do it. There's risks in bringing in top 20 recruits that you only have them for a year as well - if we could have had Newman/Stone for a year, we take them and don't bother with Gibbs/Miller, but we may have been even worse this season when you factor in maturity levels of freshmen. Louisville was faring pretty well with their two grad transfers, especially compared to how they would have been without them.

Yup. Fans want certainty, when reality fluid. Sometimes it's necessary, sometimes it isn't. You just play the hand your dealt the best way possible. Which I think we did for this particular year.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I look at it as 2 guys who came in, helped us get back to the tourney which we wouldn't have without them for sure. I am extremely happy they came to UConn and did just that. Both brought something to the table and I would love for KO to find the right fit for yet another one next year - maybe a BIG or a shooter.

I think it's tough to have 2/5's of your team rely on guys who have not been in the program though. It was much easier for Lasan K to just fit in as a piece I will agree.

I think this season would have been a disaster overall without Gibbs and Miller. There were a lot of problems but they helped win a number of games and gave us the depth
we needed. I believe we should grab a transfer big if there is a quality one available. I think after next season our own recruiting should be sufficient for most needs. We have been manhandled by many big front lines this year and to expect AB, KF and SE and the freshman MD are going to solve all those problems by next year would be extremely optimistic. It does have to be a quality transfer though who can rebound and provide an inside offensive threat of some kind. Otherwise, I think it would be better to give the youth and the veterans battle it out with the veterans.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Gibbs was asked to do things that you could only ask a mature player to do. Play off his natural position and mentor a rising star in Jalen. Both seemed very difficult at times to do. There were some things about Miller that I really liked but other things that didn't help out, like his foul complaints. In my opinion, we hit a shot and win a tight game like we did against cincy, earlier in the year, and we're off to the races. Tough wins create comraderie and we had little of that until our backs were against the wall.

I like the RJ Evans and Kromah's a bit more than I like instant starters but those were the cards we were dealt this season. Without gibbs and miller it would have been an ugly year.

Reaction Score
Miller was awesome this year. Without him the wheels might totally fall off.

I personally think Gibbs was just overrated coming in. Had the ultimate green light at seton hall. Good shooter but can't exactly get his own shot.

If neither of them came I don't think Jalen Adams would of been ready to be the leader. Not sure he will be ready to lead next year. His body language isn't great. He's also never had to lead his high school team. At Cushing Kaleb Joseph was a year older. At Brewster he played with so many other studs.

Reaction Score
I'm in the flexible camp, if you need players you do your utmost to find the best players available. Ideally graduate transfers are best as 'sixth man' types that can bring their unique skill set & maturity to a team missing a key ingredient (see Kromah, Lasan). That wasn't UConn 2015-16 so I don't think you throw the concept out because it didn't work this time ESPECIALLY when it just worked 2 years ago.

Maybe IF you are evaluating Grad transfers vs diamond in rough type recruits/class that might take a few years to develop but then could blend into a championship level team/player you err on the side of development. But this year was a unique case. If Hamilton had hit his 2nd half of the season stride in early January (instead of March) and Brimah hadn't gotten hurt, UConn may have rounded into a top10-ish team by the end of February. So I'd certainly roll the dice on Miller and Gibbs in a do-over.

It is similar as others have pointed out to one-and-done. Situational use can work. I don't think after Kromah they purposefully steered into a continual strategy of Grad transfers, but they saw it could work then and now have more information about how it can work coupled with the challenges it presents. Good learning experience.

Reaction Score
Gibbs and Miller provided Adams, Hamilton and Co. with NCAA tournament experience. Great building block for next year.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Definitely has to be on a case by case basis, IMO. I think it's difficult to integrate two grad transfers into starting roles but Miller and Gibbs definitely saved our season even if we didn't fully maximize their ability.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yup. Fans want certainty, when reality fluid. Sometimes it's necessary, sometimes it isn't. You just play the hand your dealt the best way possible. Which I think we did for this particular year.
I'm certain I'm fluid. Especially when I have a beer or three.

Reaction Score
I think the OP went off on some tangent.

The fundamental question about 2015-2016 at this point last year was having Jalen Adams step in as Ryan Boatwright left. And we had zero offensive capability inside with Facey, Brimah, Nolan.

The Staff made a conscious choice as to how they wanted to groom Adams - that should be obvious. He needed to grow & none of the 4 former ball handling coaches wanted him to be our lead guard from Day One.

The answer had to be an experienced immediate transfer. Gibbs fit ... and he turned out to be the good citizen as well. Miller also provided a fit.

What do we need? KO pointed to Kansas I think. Development of Bigs over the life of a program (and YES there still is hope that Brimah & Facey can have outstanding senior campaigns - look at other examples). Enoch & Adams are crucial development projects for our Program (and the new guys). You have to have physical polished kids inside - like Landen Lucas. You need to keep feeding UConn with charismatic guards. I'm happy to see Jalen progress.

You don't make graduate student players core strategic pushes; you do need - as Calhoun did - plugs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Gibbs never learned his own game. Right to the end he was making shots off the catch and missing off the bounce.

Reaction Score
Sterling Gibbs played amazing in UConn's home game against Memphis. Without him it would have been are only try "bad loss." For that in itself I appreciate him this past season.

I liked Shonn Miller specifically because for the first time in what feels like a millions years it seemed like we had an offensive player who could actually play post up offense.

It's too bad the team never really jelled but making the NCAA tournament was huge. They helped us get back on track. :)

Reaction Score
Only read the first page of this thread - but a grad transfer will offer more in tutelage and experience than skill. They shouldn't be counted on to lead a team in points - those guys are in the NBA already.

I'm all for the rule. What kid with no NBA potential wouldn't want a chance to keep playing,l and maybe at a place they were interested in as a high schooler - RJ Evans - they get a crack at the big time and to help the young'ns out.

That said - I'd rather get a frosh 1&done TALENT over a mercenary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom