Grading the performance of John Marinatto | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Grading the performance of John Marinatto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
so let me get this right, it is Marinnatto's fault that:
1. the ACC offered Cuse and Pitt more money because apparently they're collecting lousy football teams
2. Big12 offered TCU more money
3. Notre Dame didn't join us for football
4. our contract with ESPN didn't expire for another two years
5. that a WVU court pissed on our exit clause
6. that Rutgers isn't the football dynasty we've all been told it will be one day
7. and we might as well throw in that he's fat

did i miss anything?

Reaction Score
so let me get this right, it is Marinnatto's fault that:
1. the ACC offered Cuse and Pitt more money because apparently they're collecting lousy football teams
2. Big12 offered TCU more money
3. Notre Dame didn't join us for football
4. our contract with ESPN didn't expire for another two years
5. that a WVU court pissed on our exit clause
6. that Rutgers isn't the football dynasty we've all been told it will be one day
7. and we might as well throw in that he's fat

did i miss anything?

Yeah you did:
1)The Big East may lose it's automatic BCS bid in the next few years
2)UCONN is gone from the Big East sooner than later, then the domino's really start falling
3)Marinade and his boss Tranghese basically did nothing to protect the league after the first raid several years ago
4)Top Big East coaches are seeing the writing on the wall and are exiting the league faster than Marinatto can wolf down a chicken parm
5)If D1 football goes to a playoff system then Big East FB revenue becomes about the same as womens field hockey.
6)If the Big East, as we know it, folds after UCONN leaves the conf then several upscale italian restaurants in Boise, Annapolis, Texas, and Manhattan will go out of business.
7)Lou Carnesecca is being seen at more and more Knicks games even when St Johns is playing.

Reaction Score
Yeah you did:
1)The Big East may lose it's automatic BCS bid in the next few years
2)UCONN is gone from the Big East sooner than later, then the domino's really start falling
3)Marinade and his boss Tranghese basically did nothing to protect the league after the first raid several years ago
4)Top Big East coaches are seeing the writing on the wall and are exiting the league faster than Marinatto can wolf down a chicken parm
5)If D1 football goes to a playoff system then Big East FB revenue becomes about the same as womens field hockey.
6)If the Big East, as we know it, folds after UCONN leaves the conf then several upscale italian restaurants in Boise, Annapolis, Texas, and Manhattan will go out of business.
7)Lou Carnesecca is being seen at more and more Knicks games even when St Johns is playing.
I'm not a big fan of Marinatto, but I don't think you can blame him. You can't protect a league from the decisions of its own members.

Reaction Score
BCS bids probably won't exist in a few years, if they do we'll have one. most of these issues existed before Marinatto took over, and most of them would have existed no matter who was boss. when you're the weakest league you're always going to be ripe for the picking.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan of Marinatto, but I don't think you can blame him. You can't protect a league from the decisions of its own members.

A point relating to the league UCONN, Rutgers and any other member(s) trying to escape.

Right now it's the only league they've got so, unless there are iron-clad guarantees we don't know about, each member better give the appearance of being "all-in."

"Blame," at this juncture, better be number 10,000 on the league's short list of things "to do." Blameless or not, Marinotto has been the league's face during the upheaval. The league needs a complete image makeover, starting with a campaign that stresses the positive impact provided by the new members; especially as it relates to football. I'm sorry, but I have no confidence in Marinatto's ability to sell anything to the press and, therefore, college football fans. He doesn't have to be fired. Let him be the assistant who concentrates on basketball.

Image-wise, the league is in total disrepute and changing the image is going to be a really difficult job. So, I'll close with a question.

If the job (league boss) were presently open, and you were on the hiring committee, knowing everything that you know and have seen, would you recommend the present league boss to the member Presidents?

Reaction Score
That begs the question of whose really been running this league all these years, the catholic basketball schools or the football schools? Judging recent events, I think the answer is clear.

Reaction Score
What happened to that NFL guy who was supposed to guide us through all this crap.

Reaction Score
That begs the question of whose really been running this league all these years, the catholic basketball schools or the football schools? Judging recent events, I think the answer is clear.

i think the answer it nobody. everyone's been sitting on their hands for the last ten years

Reaction Score
A point relating to the league UCONN, Rutgers and any other member(s) trying to escape.

Right now it's the only league they've got so, unless there are iron-clad guarantees we don't know about, each member better give the appearance of being "all-in."

"Blame," at this juncture, better be number 10,000 on the league's short list of things "to do." Blameless or not, Marinotto has been the league's face during the upheaval. The league needs a complete image makeover, starting with a campaign that stresses the positive impact provided by the new members; especially as it relates to football. I'm sorry, but I have no confidence in Marinatto's ability to sell anything to the press and, therefore, college football fans. He doesn't have to be fired. Let him be the assistant who concentrates on basketball.

Image-wise, the league is in total disrepute and changing the image is going to be a really difficult job. So, I'll close with a question.

If the job (league boss) were presently open, and you were on the hiring committee, knowing everything that you know and have seen, would you recommend the present league boss to the member Presidents?
Regarding changing the Conference's image:
1. Move the Conference's offices to New York City: nothing says smalltime like taking Puddle Jumper Airways to Providence
2. Fix the Big East Website: When major announcements are made, show a VIDEO podcast instead of just an audio feed-even an amateur can rig up videocams, Why can't the Big East?
3. Reconsider membership of Boise, SDSU, & Navy as football onlys: As experience has shown-this doesn't work for a number of reasons.
Once Rutgers, Virginia Tech, & West Virginia were granted full membership, their athletic programs thrived. Navy could compete well in most sports (men's basketball being the exception). The point is the league need to be uniform. (AFA understands this. They compete in the Montain West, even though their men's hoops team has little or no shot of winning the conference championship).
4. (probably should be # 1) Identify & Hire a forward thinking, aggressive administrator as the new conference commissioner: e.g Jurich is a fine example as is the Pac-12 commisioner. In football terms, I'm not a big fan of read & react, bend but don't break styles. Take the action to the opposition & force your will on the field of play is more my preference (with charm, of course;))

Reaction Score
What happened to that NFL guy who was supposed to guide us through all this crap.
His alma-mater Georgetown is still in the league (as a non-football playing catholic school) having a good season in hoops, and is poised to make more money on the league's next tv deal than they make now...I think he's happy with how things ended up so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom