Grad Transfer Kassoum Yakwe To Be UConn Men's New Rim Protector | The Boneyard

Grad Transfer Kassoum Yakwe To Be UConn Men's New Rim Protector

Reaction Score
Amore: A Late Bloomer On The Court, Grad Transfer Kassoum Yakwe To Be UConn Men's New Rim Protector

>>Takwe’s days begin with weight training shortly after 6 a.m., then workouts, then classes and study, and finally back in the Werth Center for a little more work on his game. “I like it, it’s very calm,” Yakwe said. “It’s not like New York. Outside of campus, there is nothing to do. I like it because all I do is go to school, study and focus on basketball. I think this is the perfect place for me.”<<

>> “He’s very athletic,” said Taliek Brown, UConn’s new director of player development, who saw Yakwe in New York early on. “Great motor. He’s just got to get his legs under him and learn the game a little more. He’s everywhere on the floor, he makes plays, he changes shots, crowds the paint. He’s just an old-school big guy. It’s all about confidence, just go hard and push yourself.”<<

Reaction Score
I feel like it’s more intense here,” Yakwe said. “Coach Hurley is going all the time, he doesn’t even stop. Drill after drill, the pace is great. When you practice that way, the game will be easier.”

Yakwe could help with the recruiting of Achiuwa and others being recruited by UConn+SJU since Yakwe has played for both programs now.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I feel like it’s more intense here,” Yakwe said. “Coach Hurley is going all the time, he doesn’t even stop. Drill after drill, the pace is great. When you practice that way, the game will be easier.”

Yakwe could help with the recruiting of Achiuwa and others being recruited by UConn+SJU since Yakwe has played for both programs now.

And Sid Wilson.

Reaction Score
It's a problem when your "rim protector" is 6-7, 210 (In the photo, Yakwe looks barely taller than Hurley.)

On the other hand, the guy definitely has hops. The follow-up slam in the video is something Onuorah probably could not have done.

We will play with what we have this year, and it seems that all of our 4-5 candidates will be a bit undersized in one way or another. Diarra also is barely 6-7 and Cobb maybe 6-7 1/2. Our bona-fide 6-8's (Polley and Whaley) are toothpicks.

It will be critical to play a disruptive defense that keeps the opponent out of leisurely half-court offensive sets.

Reaction Score
It's a problem when your "rim protector" is 6-7, 210 (In the photo, Yakwe looks barely taller than Hurley.)

Are you referring to the picture of Tarin Smith with Hurley? You made me curious but I didn't see a pic in that link.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

On the other hand, the guy definitely has hops. The follow-up slam in the video is something Onuorah probably could not have done.

We will play with what we have this year, and it seems that all of our 4-5 candidates will be a bit undersized in one way or another. Diarra also is barely 6-7 and Cobb maybe 6-7 1/2. Our bona-fide 6-8's (Polley and Whaley) are toothpicks.

It will be critical to play a disruptive defense that keeps the opponent out of leisurely half-court offensive sets.

He does have a nice 7' wingspan though.

Reaction Score
Ben Wallace was listed as 6'9, closer to 6'7/6'8

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Ben Wallace was listed as 6'9, closer to 6'7/6'8
Kevin Love is listed at 6'10, At the NBA combine he was measured at 6'7.5.

UconnU

Reaction Score
St. Johns really failed this kid developmentally. How does a 4 star top 100 kid coming out of high school struggling with "Understanding the game" after 3 years of high major D1 ball?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Yea it is, DeJaun Blair was one of the best centers we ever faced and he was like 6'6. Wingspan is more important than height.
Shoulder span and butt span are important in owning your space on the floor.

UconnU

Reaction Score
One of the reasons I really like Tre Mitchell. We haven't had that kind of player in a long time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

My shorthand for boxing out was stick out your butt and stick on the opposing players thigh. It was surprisingly effective.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My shorthand for boxing out was stick out your butt and stick on the opposing players thigh. It was surprisingly effective.
And from behind, your right knee into the back of his left knee (or vice versa depending on position and direction) and it takes away his ability to jump.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
And from behind, your right knee into the back of his left knee (or vice versa depending on position and direction) and it takes away his ability to jump.

Or just step on his foot. Simple. Effective. Refs don’t look for it.

Reaction Score
St. Johns really failed this kid developmentally. How does a 4 star top 100 kid coming out of high school struggling with "Understanding the game" after 3 years of high major D1 ball?

I’m afraid understanding the game can affect lots of kids. Natural ability and athleticism can hide a lot in HS but coaches can’t teach “understanding” the game. We’ve seen plenty of that lately coaches need to recruit smarter on the court players. Not saying they can’t pick up some intelligence of the game but usually you already “get it” when you arrive.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m afraid understanding the game can affect lots of kids. Natural ability and athleticism can hide a lot in HS but coaches can’t teach “understanding” the game. We’ve seen plenty of that lately coaches need to recruit smarter on the court players. Not saying they can’t pick up some intelligence of the game but usually you already “get it” when you arrive.
I blame AAU a bit (not that this all that hot a take) because it emphasizes up and down one on one play. HS basketball is getting infected with mindset somewhat.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I love the statements about Hurley's drive and practice more than anything. Haven't heard that type of talk in a few years. Now "that" reminds me of the JC years.

Glad it's back, somewhat surprised it had left but I don't recall any such talk in recent years. Maybe it was lost in all the other stuff, maybe not

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

You didn't watch the Caron interview at the HOF yesterday, did you?
He said he didn't even THINK about understanding the game until Pat Riley stated to teach him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I blame AAU a bit (not that this all that hot a take) because it emphasizes up and down one on one play. HS basketball is getting infected with mindset somewhat.

AAU ball is tough on bigs development. Especially for more traditional bigs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom