Gov. Malloy: is he for real?... | The Boneyard

Gov. Malloy: is he for real?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Word on the street: Malloy confirms UConn is interested in moving to ACC if that conference goes to 16 teams, and adds if not, "you fall back to the Big East."

I don't believe he said that in that context. He's a BC grad; he can't be THAT dumb, can he?...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
That explains his charmless incompetence.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately yes. He's awful, but he's around for awhile. He's a BCU grad i think, what do you expect?

Word on the street: Malloy confirms UConn is interested in moving to ACC if that conference goes to 16 teams, and adds if not, "you fall back to the Big East."

I don't believe he said that in that context. He's a BC grad; he can't be THAT dumb, can he?...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Thats the first real public acknowledgement that we are indeed f ucked unless ND decides to join the ACC which is about a 99% chance that we are f ucked.

Reaction Score
Maybe he doesn't even realize there's a small chance the SEC could poach an ACC school.

Reaction Score

I can't open the link, but what else do you do?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Here's the money quote:

"...the ACC has the first decision to make and that's whether they're going to stay at 14 teams or go to 16. I know that there's one school that they would like to get into the ACC that would guarantee them going to 16 teams and that's been speculated to be Notre Dame. I suspect that that's true."

Malloy said he believes Notre Dame -- a traditional independent football power with a national following and its own TV deal with NBC that runs through 2015 -- is "not terribly likely" to join the ACC. Since 1966, it has sold out every home football game except one, in South Bend, Ind.

"So absent a Notre Dame is there a compelling reason to go to 16 teams immediately or to remain at the 14 they've enlarged to?" Malloy said. "Beyond that then you fall back to the Big East and the Big East has to rebuild itself to fill the loss of the two teams that left and has to worry about its ability to compete on the major sports of basketball and football in particular, as well as how we make that work for student athletes."

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Here's the money quote:

"...the ACC has the first decision to make and that's whether they're going to stay at 14 teams or go to 16. I know that there's one school that they would like to get into the ACC that would guarantee them going to 16 teams and that's been speculated to be Notre Dame. I suspect that that's true."

Malloy said he believes Notre Dame -- a traditional independent football power with a national following and its own TV deal with NBC that runs through 2015 -- is "not terribly likely" to join the ACC. Since 1966, it has sold out every home football game except one, in South Bend, Ind.

"So absent a Notre Dame is there a compelling reason to go to 16 teams immediately or to remain at the 14 they've enlarged to?" Malloy said. "Beyond that then you fall back to the Big East and the Big East has to rebuild itself to fill the loss of the two teams that left and has to worry about its ability to compete on the major sports of basketball and football in particular, as well as how we make that work for student athletes."

I don't get it? You have a problem with that quote? That's basically the expected scenario, what do you want him to say?

Reaction Score
Here's the money quote:

I agree with they guy on everything he said here. Not sure what the controversy is.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I agree with they guy on everything he said here. Not sure what the controversy is.
Im not sure there is any controversy, i just thought it was interesting that he is the first person to admit publicly that we basically have ZERO chance of an invite to the ACC without a ND committment.
God I hope the SEC decides to poach a team or two from the ACC. I simply can't imagine the crap pile of a conference we will be in otherwise.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
@NunesMagician blowing up on Twitter about this

Reaction Score
Every time he talks I hear foghorn leghorn saying "I said, I said that boy is about as sharp as a bowling ball."

Reaction Score
Im not sure there is any controversy, i just thought it was interesting that he is the first person to admit publicly that we basically have ZERO chance of an invite to the ACC without a ND committment.
God I hope the SEC decides to poach a team or two from the ACC. I simply can't imagine the crap pile of a conference we will be in otherwise.

I'm actually starting to think that the Big Ten is going to be more likely for the short term. I don't really see that happening but I think the conferences are not going straight to 16 based on what we are seeing right now. We can certainly hope the SEC poaches the ACC and we get an invite to replace someone. I still have no idea what is going to happen with the SEC. I think Mizzou, and WVU are still the most likely candidates but WVU is no guarantee to get an invite and Mizzou may be trying to make it work in the Big 12. The Big 10 taking UConn and Rutgers preemtively in order to get a share of the northeast market and prevent the ACC from monopolizing it may be our best case scenario in the immetiate term.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'm actually starting to think that the Big Ten is going to be more likely for the short term.

If we are invited to the B1G, it won't be short term. That's not a short term move. If we are invited there, we're there to stay. Their football is arguably the 2nd/3rd best in the country and don't they make a ton of money on their TV deals? I believe I saw Indiana brings in almost double what schools who actually win games bring in.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I kind of hope that that Cinci, Louisville and WVU go to the Big 12 soon and ND is forced to do something. There would be enough back room pressure on ESPN/ACC that they would have to take Uconn and Rutgers when ND decides that they don't want the ACC and they either join the Big 10 or stay with the catholic schools for all other sports and remain Indy for the time being.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I kind of hope that that Cinci, Louisville and WVU go to the Big 12 soon and ND is forced to do something. There would be enough back room pressure on ESPN/ACC that they would have to take Uconn and Rutgers when ND decides that they don't want the ACC and they either join the Big 10 or stay with the catholic schools for all other sports and remain Indy for the time being.

That would be just about the worse thing that could happen to UConn Football.

Reaction Score
What do you expect from a man who's favoRite words are "uhh and uhm"

Reaction Score
Sounds like the ACC is just holding off at 14 for now unless they can coax ND to join, then they would undoubtedly expand to 16 ASAP. Doesn't mean they've stopped all expansion plans nor that we have zero chance of getting an invite without ND. They're waiting to see where the chips fall first with ND and the rest of the football landscape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom