Gottlieb | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gottlieb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever seen anyone give a legitimate rationale as to why they can't stand Doris Burke. Maybe you can be the first?

She does very little research and says things that are demonstrably untrue.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You mean he isn't a Muslim guy? Kevin Ali? All along I thought it was Ali.

Reaction Score
Realistically though...... I value them both. They both make coherent statements throughout the broadcast that infers they have actually done some research and attempt to provide meaningful insight. Gottlieb's playing career (on the court....) gives him credibility. Beyond that I do think he works at his craft and continually improves, unlike a Mike Patrick whose fading off into the sunsight ingloriously. I'll take Burke and Gottlieb over anyone that is usually broadcasting the AAC games on ESPNU.

Reaction Score
Doug knows the game extremely well, is usually well prepared, and is extremely stubborn, which makes for an interesting combination.

Doris is usually very good but clearly hasn't watched a lot of UCONN this year, which has made for a bad showing from our perspective this year.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
She does very little research and says things that are demonstrably untrue.
Horses**t, she is actually very knowledgable (especially when compared to the idiots they seem to get off the street before gametime to do our other AAC games) and she is usually very pro-UConn due to her strong connection with the womens program, she spends a great deal of time covering UConn and its almost always positive. You just dont like listening to a female commentator or find her voice "annoying" or whatever that means.

Reaction Score
Horses**t, she is actually very knowledgable (especially when compared to the idiots they seem to get off the street before gametime to do our other AAC games) and she is usually very pro-UConn due to her strong connection with the womens program, she spends a great deal of time covering UConn and its almost always positive. You just dont like listening to a female commentator or find her voice "annoying" or whatever that means.

I dont care if she's pro-UConn. I can't stand listening to someone say things that are absolutely and totally wrong.

Reaction Score
Doug knows the game extremely well, is usually well prepared, and is extremely stubborn, which makes for an interesting combination.

Doris is usually very good but clearly hasn't watched a lot of UCONN this year, which has made for a bad showing from our perspective this year.

Exactly.

Reaction Score
Unadulterated horseSH-T, particularly when you consider that many of the Schmoes they throw in our games can't pronounce "Brimah" and "Ollie."

I'm sorry to criticize your cousin, but she used to be very good. Must have mailed it in after she signed a contract, but she says crazy things all the time that are just not true now.

Reaction Score
I think Dorris is one of the best on ESPN w Bilas. I like Dougie too. He's knowledgeable and not boring.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I dont care if she's pro-UConn. I can't stand listening to someone say things that are absolutely and totally wrong.
Please tell me one thing she said that was so egregiously wrong that you hold this position on her sports casting abilities.

Reaction Score
FartMan69 said:
He pronounces our coaches name correctly, that alone makes him the best we've had this season.

The fact that these guys can't pronounce Ollie is staggering. It really makes me question the average IQ of a sportscaster.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I liked the Gottlieb broadcast.

I like Burke as well but didn't care for her last game discussing UConn. Too much he's got real gift when x player made a shot and within a short period of time "he's got to work on" to make the shot! She was scrambling more than normal and saying the obvious vs. her norman insightful stuff.

Bilas is my favorite but he's becoming more like the rest.

Like Kara Lawson more than Doris.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Did anyone else hear his CBS Radio spot yesterday where he ripped the Minnesota Vikings for not being loyal to Adrien Peterson for all the charity work he's done and what he's done for them in his career and saying he is right to want to play somewhere else? Apparently, he doesn't know that the NFL is a business and public relations is a huge part of it......and that punching a 3 year old in the nutz and beating him with a stick until blood runs doesn't deserve loyalty. He's a sensationalist jackazz.

Reaction Score
I've never understood why people think Gottlieb has some grudge against UConn. Yeah, he missed the boat on the recent national title team - so did everybody else besides ok4prez. In 2011 he said all year, even while we were struggling, that UConn was the team in the Big East most likely to make the final four. He also had us #1 in his preseason 2012 poll.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I've never understood why people think Gottlieb has some grudge against UConn. Yeah, he missed the boat on the recent national title team - so did everybody else besides ok4prez. In 2011 he said all year, even while we were struggling, that UConn was the team in the Big East most likely to make the final four. He also had us #1 in his preseason 2012 poll.

It all goes back to him openly saying that Roscoe Smith should decommit.

Reaction Score
It all goes back to him openly saying that Roscoe Smith should decommit.

That's true, and I agree that was bad, but sometimes he gets lumped in with shmucks like Gary Parrish who openly antagonize UConn. Gottlieb just strikes me as an opinionated dude who can be reactionary at times.

Reaction Score
I searched my comments on Doris and only a couple came up (one was the WV game from 3 years ago, when Napier fouled out, was crucified as dumb bball player in the game thread, and people kept ripping Doris Burke for her comments), but the other one is this thread: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/ann...r-and-viewer-entertainment.15191/#post-189015

As I said, used to like her. Now like nails against chalkboard.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
That's true, and I agree that was bad, but sometimes he gets lumped in with shmucks like Gary Parrish who openly antagonize UConn. Gottlieb just strikes me as an opinionated dude who can be reactionary at times.

Agreed, as far as analysis and basketball knowledge goes he's not even CLOSE to Parrish or even Goodman. I don't mind him but advertising that a recruit should decommit from a school is ridiculous.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I searched my comments on Doris and only a couple cme up (one was the WV game from 3 years ago, when Napier fouled out, was crucified as dumb bball player in the game thread
As I said, used to like her. Now like nails against chalkboard.

Anyone else wondering if Upstater is Doris' ex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom