Gottlieb Has Uconn #1 In Preseason Power Rankings | The Boneyard

Gottlieb Has Uconn #1 In Preseason Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He mentioned that he thought we had the best team in the country on twitter a few weeks ago

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I guess this means Bucknell ain't that strong this year

Reaction Score
18 months ago, Doug Gottlieb said that Roscoe Smith should seriously consider decommitting from Uconn. Now, not only does Roscoe already have a Championship Ring, but now the same Doug Gottlieb is proclaiming that he plays for the best team in the country. I wish I was allowed to be this off-base at my job.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Don't anyone dare take this at face value.

Doug Gottlieb is a snake. He lives and breathes Husky hatred. It is his life's mission to drag Jim Calhoun down to where he slithers.

After failing at his usual routine of snide condescension and childish potshots, he's decided to take a different approach. He's trying the ole reverse mojo.

Doooooomed.....

Reaction Score
He isnt any more snake than the handful of ESPN and Yahoo writers with a personal vendetta against Calhoun mostly those that came or currently work for Yahoo such as Eammond and Pat Forde. Gottlieb is hit or miss, sometimes i cant stand him, other times he speaks it like it is. He's like a Colin Cowherd wannabe. And I cant stand Colin Cowherd

Reaction Score
I loath him. This is some ploy on his part to force us to play in the NIT post season. I do not believe it- not for a minute.

Reaction Score
18 months ago, Doug Gottlieb said that Roscoe Smith should seriously consider decommitting from Uconn. Now, not only does Roscoe already have a Championship Ring, but now the same Doug Gottlieb is proclaiming that he plays for the best team in the country. I wish I was allowed to be this off-base at my job.

I made a similar comment about this a month ago or so. That said, it does look like there is the possibility that Roscoe's minutes will get eaten into a little this year. I sure don't think he would change his mind if he could though...........

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
We're soo fuckin doomed.

Doug Gottlieb is like the Ben Bernanke of college sports. He never gets anything right.

Reaction Score
Don't anyone dare take this at face value.

Doug Gottlieb is a snake. He lives and breathes Husky hatred. It is his life's mission to drag Jim Calhoun down to where he slithers.

After failing at his usual routine of snide condescension and childish potshots, he's decided to take a different approach. He's trying the ole reverse mojo.

Doooooomed.....
It's hilarious how sensitive people on this board are.

Gottlieb doesn't hate UConn specifically - he hates everyone not named Oklahoma State. The only team he reserves a special hatred for is Notre Dame.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If I was oversensitive, then I'd hate a whole slew of analysts more than Gottlieb. That's not the case. Gottlieb is special. He's crossed an ethical line between reporting, and trying to influence the field in which he reports. He should've been fired for his Roscoe Smith comments.

As an aside: Jay Williams draws a paycheck as a basketball analyst. What a strange world we live in.

Reaction Score
If I was oversensitive, then I'd hate a whole slew of analysts more than Gottlieb. That's not the case. Gottlieb is special. He's crossed an ethical line between reporting, and trying to influence the field in which he reports. He should've been fired for his Roscoe Smith comments.

As an aside: Jay Williams draws a paycheck as a basketball analyst. What a strange world we live in.
That I completely agree with. And I wasn't trying to call you out personally - I just think it's funny how every single fanbase thinks Gottlieb hates their team.

Reaction Score
It's not what Gottlieb says that bothers me..it's the way he forces it. I think he tries too hard to be a revolutionary/outside the box thinker when a lot of times that's not necessary.

He probably picked UConn as his #1 because everyone else was picking UNC and had UConn lower. Just like once Kemba's draft stock was rising, he tried saying Charles Jenkins should go before him in the draft.

He likes to stand out, and as evidenced by this thread he does it well.

Reaction Score
\

haha Jay Williams is horrendous. I remember he once said, "Florida is the favorite in the SEC West". That's one of an incalculable number of errors on his part. Not only does he have his fact straight but he delivers them in a bumbling, stuttering, pausing way. Hes the Mandledove of analysts.

Reaction Score
haha Jay Williams is horrendous. I remember he once said, "Florida is the favorite in the SEC West". That's one of an incalculable number of errors on his part. Not only does he have his fact straight but he delivers them in a bumbling, stuttering, pausing way. Hes the Mandledove of analysts.

have his facts wrong*****

Reaction Score
I used to play pick up with him at the Southington YMCA, he really is a good guy (and almost unstoppable in pick up games) but I agree with the notion that he tries too hard to have out of the box opinions and it's a bit annoying. I don't think he specifically hates Uconn more than any other school, but his comments about Roscoe in 09 were completely out of line

Reaction Score
Be careful wouldn't want rumrunner sending out the dogs for ya and initiating libel claims on behalf of Jay Williams (technically a public figure). Wouldn't want to slip off that slippery slope would ya? hahahahhahaha

In all seriousness it could be argued that a "certain former player" has a bad reputation for actions that are analogous to a common P.I.M.P. The gray area in all these business transactions is the relationship between the agents, the AAU coaches, the player and the front man for the agent (emphasis added). In theory there is precedent protecting player(s)/AAU coach(es) from the inevitable complications of player/agent relationships.

This is how it works and it happens a lot. NCAA rules prohibit the player from receiving anything of value from an agent. The question then becomes can an AAU basketball coach accept a donation from a "sponsor"/or agent? I would venture to guess there is no rule explicitly prohibiting such a donation. So typically and this is common place the AAU coach pays for the airline tickets, dinner or whatever else using this influx of cash. It is all semantics more or less as the P.I.M.P tries to operate with impunity. This is why AAU coaches (and their posse) obviously have so much power and influence. Underground capitalism at its finest for some. The player a mere pawn at the whim of the violator and his cohorts. This is troubling and Boatright or any other player before his enrollment should not have to pay the price. I don't care about UConn here. My thoughts and concerns are with Ryan Boatright. He deserves better then this.

Best Always...

Reaction Score
I hate all the talking heads. Uconn will survive all their crap. On paper we can compete and should be a ff participant, but as we all know we will need a little luck to get there and then JC and Ollie will take over.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
The two easiest jobs in the country are a)TV weatherman and b) Doug Gottlieb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom