OT: - Gottlieb and Marbury Twitter war | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Gottlieb and Marbury Twitter war

Reaction Score
Gottlieb is only right that there aren't as many great players from NYC as there were 20, 30, or 40 years ago but there are several dynamics why that's true. When Gottlieb played there were not dozens of Europeans in the NBA (and hundreds more in the NCAA) and NYC was much more diverse financially. More importantly, please let college recruiters think that and, in turn, I guarantee UConn and NYC talent will be playing for National Championships for the next decade.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb is probably right but that's not the point, he's a troll. He didn't make some nuanced, well thought-out argument. He said "Biggest myth in basketball... NYC has ball players" and let the trolls attack.

He didn't clarify right now, or add any of these other qualifiers

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Drummond and Gay both moved out of NYC as little kids. Come on now.

NYC - for all of it's 8M plus people and basketball history has Kemba right now in the league.

Say what you want about Gottlieb, but he's not wrong here.
Do you know statistics? I ask this because you are not even wrong here.
Hint, there are 242 million people who do not live in NYC, so your equation has a few missing parts. And that's a W. Pauli reference if you don't recognize it.

Reaction Score
This is true, but also he's correct. Kemba was the last fulltime NYC kid to move up to the NBA. Most of the rest are gone by the start of high school.

The Mecca in Decline

New York is no longer the greatest basketball city on earth. Right now, it’s not even close.

When we talk about the decline of New York City basketball, we’re not talking about the Knicks’ interminable incompetence or the Nets’ lavish and misguided efforts to build a contender. We’re talking about the city’s footprint in the NBA: Years ago, New York’s playgrounds and high schools served as the most fertile breeding ground for the game’s elite. Today, you’re just as likely to become a star if you’re born in Los Angeles, Toronto, or Raleigh.

That's from five years ago and it hasn't changed. If anything it's continued to shift away from NYC and toward other metro areas/less dense parts of the NYC metro (North Jersey, Westchester, etc).

More reading:

Where Have All the NYC-Bred NBA Players Gone?

What Happened to NYC Basketball?

Anyone who _____ on Gottlieb is okay with me.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Do you know statistics? I ask this because you are not even wrong here.
Hint, there are 242 million people who do not live in NYC, so your equation has a few missing parts. And that's a W. Pauli reference if you don't recognize it.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1555444283039.png

Dang, that's cold. Lol.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not surprisingly this board would be the place with capes flying proudly for Gottlieb. Good to see him get bodied like this, he went trolling for attention and got put in place.

Name the top 5 of NYC players in the NBA the past 10 years.

Real NYC kids, not guys that moved when they were 8.

Reaction Score
I didn't know Gottlieb was 11th all time in the NCAA for assists.

I usually think he's a dweeb, but his point is pretty valid. NYC has what, Kemba right now in the league?

I mean which cities outside of LA and Chicago have produced a lot of stars recently? Houston has some decent ones and so does DC, but another area where NYC is at a disadvantage is that I feel like people want to limit it to its city limits for basketball, but don't do the same for other cities.

Reaction Score
Name the top 5 of NYC players in the NBA the past 10 years.

Real NYC kids, not guys that moved when they were 8.
Dougie's tweet made no mention of NBA so you can waste your time debating someone else. When multiple pro players speak up to take their turns to drag him, it's best to sit back and enjoy the laugh, not pull the cape out. But hey, I know y'all move different here.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Dougie's tweet made no mention of NBA so you can waste your time debating someone else. When multiple pro players speak up to take their turns to drag him, it's best to sit back and enjoy the laugh, not pull the cape out. But hey, I know y'all move different here.

God forbid, someone equated a comment about quality basketball players with the highest level of basketball.

Stephon Marbury the voice of reason? Glad he took the time away from chowing down on petroleum jelly to opine.

I'll make it even easier for you.

Name the top 5 NYC players from the past 30 years (if you prefer to include elementary school or Euro league instead of the NBA go for it).

Reaction Score
God forbid, someone equated a comment about quality basketball players with the highest level of basketball.

Stephon Marbury the voice of reason? Glad he took the time away from chowing down on petroleum jelly to opine.

Name the top 5 NYC players from the past 30 years (if you prefer to include elementary school or Euro league instead of the NBA go for it).
I'll make this even easier for you, go debate your moms.

Reaction Score
This is true, but also he's correct. Kemba was the last fulltime NYC kid to move up to the NBA. Most of the rest are gone by the start of high school.

The Mecca in Decline

New York is no longer the greatest basketball city on earth. Right now, it’s not even close.

When we talk about the decline of New York City basketball, we’re not talking about the Knicks’ interminable incompetence or the Nets’ lavish and misguided efforts to build a contender. We’re talking about the city’s footprint in the NBA: Years ago, New York’s playgrounds and high schools served as the most fertile breeding ground for the game’s elite. Today, you’re just as likely to become a star if you’re born in Los Angeles, Toronto, or Raleigh.

That's from five years ago and it hasn't changed. If anything it's continued to shift away from NYC and toward other metro areas/less dense parts of the NYC metro (North Jersey, Westchester, etc).

More reading:

Where Have All the NYC-Bred NBA Players Gone?

What Happened to NYC Basketball?
I seems now a days the players come from everywhere. Just look at the recent UConn greats Racine Wi, Datzell SC. Reading PA, Roxbury MA, Coatesville PA...….

Reaction Score

Mark Jackson, Lamar Odom, Kemba Walker, Andre Drummond, Ben Gordon, Joakim Noah, Lance Stephenson, Ron Artest. Stephon MArbury, Raefer Alston, Jamal Mashburn, Tobias Harris, Rudy Gay, Carmelo Anthony(If you don't want to count him to help your point cool, but he's from NY), Kyle O'quinn, Charlie V

All above average NBA players with a few stars.

His statement was idiotic.

Is the talent coming out the same as 50 yrs ago? No. But NYC isnt struggling for basketball talent

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Biggest problem with New York city basketball is that the kids leave as soon as they're able to these days.

Plenty of players from New York, but not a lot of them sticking around. I think the preps are just offering too nice of an experience for them. We have three New York City kids on the roster, but they came to us via two Connecticut prep schools and another in New Hampshire.

Semi-related note - Marbury and Gottlieb are blithering idiots. That was an absolute kitten fight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Semi-related note - Marbury and Gottlieb are blithering idiots. That was an absolute kitten fight.

If so, Gottlieb was a declawed house cat that met up outside with a tomcat.

Reaction Score
If we are going back 30 years, Jordan was born in Brooklyn.

Dougie Theft posted something inflammatory to drive retreats. It worked.

Reaction Score
I played hoops with gotleib bout 10 years back In west Hartford pickup game. Arrogant dude who always hated big east/uconn. He was arrogant at the gym too. I was coming down on a break and he stepped up to d me and and I pulled up and hit a jumper in his eye. Made my day cuz he was always a punk. My friends and I had a good laugh about that over drinks later that night. I kno it’s nothing but thought it was funny

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom