Gotta wonder if UConn is a 2 seed because | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gotta wonder if UConn is a 2 seed because

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Attendance (or geography) is a very reasonable explanation. Strength of conference or strength of schedule is plain BS when you compare Mississippi State to UCONN.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
You are correct. There is not much difference, but I think it is clear that the NCAA and ESPN team up to give favoritism to schools from the P5, and especially to anyone in the ACC. They succeeded to keep UConn out and just like to keep rubbing our noses in it.

Reaction Score
I believe UConn's Women basketball ranking 2'nd is a great motivator for the team. We got the shaft from the ref's for the 2 last years & now this. Reason why, "We win too much" not good for women's basketball! Watch out , if we get to play Mississippi State, I have very strong reservations that the ref's will swing the game to M.S. It's their time to win, you know. The Louisville coach' has expressed the unfairness of the ref's. Last year, he also got the short end of the stick.

Reaction Score
I believe UConn's Women basketball ranking 2'nd is a great motivator for the team. We got the shaft from the ref's for the 2 last years & now this. Reason why, "We win too much" not good for women's basketball! Watch out , if we get to play Mississippi State, I have very strong reservations that the ref's will swing the game to M.S. It's their time to win, you know. The Louisville coach' has expressed the unfairness of the ref's. Last year, he also got the short end of the stick.
I agree. They just need to use it as a motivator and just make shots. Refs can't do anything if the team just makes shots. About the 2 seed, I also think the weakness of the teams at the TG Caribbean Tournament played a role. None of them were ranked so that was 3 games where typically we'd have 3 ranked opponents for the rpi.... Also, if the team could have just shot maybe 45% instead of sub 40% against Baylor and Lville and those would be wins and we wouldn't be having this conversation......

Reaction Score
That was just BS though. The real reason we are a 2 seed, is attendance.
Attendance? Attendance at Storrs for the tournament seems far better, as usual, than most of the sites and I predict that will be true next week as well. If you mean regular season attendance, I suggest you multiply attendance times ticket price. I think you will find UCONN at or near the top.

Reaction Score
The committee told us why we're a 2-seed. They said they considered our strength of schedule and strength of conference. I may not agree with them, but message received loud and clear.
2 seed plays in Albany with lot's of UConn fans = $$$. If one seed out west not so much $$$

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Attendance? Attendance at Storrs for the tournament seems far better, as usual, than most of the sites and I predict that will be true next week as well. If you mean regular season attendance, I suggest you multiply attendance times ticket price. I think you will find UCONN at or near the top.
Ummm Yea, that's why their a #2 seed, to get attendance in Albany.

Reaction Score
As I explained in another thread. We were (most likely) considered the 4th #1. Baylor, ND, Louisville and then UCONN. Meaning we get the West Coast. But if they give Mississippi St. the 4th seed they can be shipped out West and UCONN can have the #2 in Albany.....attendance.

It can be argued (well) that Baylor/ND/Louisville have a better resume than us. Mississippi St, not so much. But attendance wins out.

Really comes down to would you rather have the #1 seed in the West or the #2 seed in Albany? I'll take Albany, especially since I already have tickets. ;)
Agree with your assement. As a MSST fan I would trade places with UConn in a heartbeat, I think MSST vs Louisville in Albany would be an easier win than MSST vs Oregon in Portland, by the same token a UConn vs Louisville match in Albany is easier than UConn vs Oregon in Portland.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Probably a 6'7" center, regional dominance, and the SEC vs. the AAC. Oh! the NCAA committee says so. “We felt that it came down strength of schedule, strength of conference, as well as how they were playing down the stretch,” Ronda Lundin Bennett, chair of the NCAA Division I Women’s Basketball Selection Committee, said in an interview with ESPN. She added that the committee members agreed other teams were playing better than the Huskies coming down the stretch of the season.
So blame Katie Lou for getting hurt. An injured Katie Lou must have influenced the committee. With her UCONN beat its AAC weak sisters by a greater margin then without her. So how could UCONN play well against the premier teams? Particularly against Louisville who already beat UCONN when Katie Lou was healthy. With an injured Katie Lou ...

This hilarious.

So effectively, the committee isn't interested in trying to put the best 4 teams as a number 1 seeds.

They are effectively using an algorithm to determine seeding, instead of using context to determine reality.

What really sucks is they totally screw the 'real' #5 team. The fifth best team (the best 2 seed) should get to play the worst 1 seed. Now the fifth best team is the worst 1 seed, and should have to play the best 2 seed (UCONN). Hell of a reward.

Or is it totally based on geographical location now in WCBB? If so, it's a total farce. Couldn't screw it up more if you tried.

End rant.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
This hilarious.So effectively, the committee isn't interested in trying to put the best 4 teams as a number 1 seeds. They are effectively using an algorithm to determine seeding, instead of using context to determine reality. What really sucks is they totally screw the 'real' #5 team. The fifth best team (the best 2 seed) should get to play the worst 1 seed. Now the fifth best team is the worst 1 seed, and should have to play the best 2 seed (UCONN). Hell of a reward.Or is it totally based on geographical location now in WCBB? If so, it's a total farce. Couldn't screw it up more if you tried.End rant.

You need to find something important to get this upset. :D

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You need to find something important to get this upset. :D

I'm not upset at all. If you're good, you'll win.

That said, I find the concept of finding a way of NOT putting the 4 best teams as 1 seeds hilarious, in an incompetent sort of way.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The first and second rounds are not where the difference between a 1 and 2 seed would matter.

Is it really gonna matter much in Round 3 either? Winner of UCLA-Maryland compared to winner of Gonzaga-Oregon St. UConn shouldn't have much trouble with any of those 4 teams. I just don't see it. Regional Final is in Albany, any of the top 8 seeds are quality teams. Probably Iowa is the weakest but I don't think there was any scenario where UConn would've met them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
For all the whining in various threads about the #2 seed, the committee might've done you a favor. UConn seems to be fired up and is just rolling over their opponents so far.

I mean, the early opponents are exactly a challenge. It doesn't start to get interesting until the elite 8 at the earliest.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is it really gonna matter much in Round 3 either? Winner of UCLA-Maryland compared to winner of Gonzaga-Oregon St. UConn shouldn't have much trouble with any of those 4 teams. I just don't see it. Regional Final is in Albany, any of the top 8 seeds are quality teams. Probably Iowa is the weakest but I don't think there was any scenario where UConn would've met them.
There wasn't ever much doubt UConn would survive the first weekend. Let's hope that was never in question.

After the 3rd weekend, let's re-evaluate whether the committee did us any favors.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If you'd kindly refrain in the future from jinxing UConn, I'm sure the UConn fans would appreciate it. Thanks :)

Reaction Score
This hilarious.

So effectively, the committee isn't interested in trying to put the best 4 teams as a number 1 seeds.

They are effectively using an algorithm to determine seeding, instead of using context to determine reality.

What really sucks is they totally screw the 'real' #5 team. The fifth best team (the best 2 seed) should get to play the worst 1 seed. Now the fifth best team is the worst 1 seed, and should have to play the best 2 seed (UCONN). Hell of a reward.

Or is it totally based on geographical location now in WCBB? If so, it's a total farce. Couldn't screw it up more if you tried.

End rant.
Screw UConn? Versus other scenarios, no easy roads but I like the teams we have to play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom