Gotta Love Geno! | The Boneyard

Gotta Love Geno!

Reaction Score
Came across this and it just reminds you about the genius that he is. Not only as a coach, but just as a human being.

Definitely worth a viewing! Many ideas expressed but I enjoyed Geno's explanation of the quote from John Wooden: "There is
no such thing as an "underachiever or overachiever". Find the "GENOism" that speaks to you!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
interesting

geno's clearly put a lot of thought into this. seems he's realized it's not all about him. life's not all about him.

very nice. wisdom. pass it on.

Reaction Score
To me, that was the best interview Geno ever gave. He has analyzed his life and is now in a place that he will get the most out of life. That's why I think he is a genious personified. GO GENO!!! GO FRESHMEN!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Agree with all of the above. One of the best things was his in depth comment on how things that used to bother him about players, how they played, what they did, etc. - he's had to set that aside and it no longer bothers him. He talked about figuring out what he can do to help the kids, etc.

His opening comment - "I want my players to grow, to thrive, to become something they weren't, and then once they get there, to find the next thing for them to become. And if I'm asking my players to do that, then over the years I've learned I should do that too". Just some great stuff from the GOAT.

Reaction Score
The evolution of the coach is big part of how well the do over time. Geno has always been a great strategist and fantastic recruiter and with that has always had 10 players who would most likely start for any other team. I have noticed his demeanor change over the years and it will probably result in him coaching a lot longer and live a much happier life.

Where I think the most difficult transition is in coaching is communication style. The reality is you have 10 players, 8 of them communicate in a style that is compatible with you so logic says those are the ones you will get the most out of, right? Where the challenge comes is when you have a need and that need is locked in a person that doesn't communicate like you and you have to figure out what the communication key is for that player. With UConn I think this is the biggest challenge because the coaches have been together for so long they most likely are very close in communication styles.

Typically they have a whole roster full of high quality players so any shortcoming is masked and their coaching talents are much greater than any deficiency they could have. Then you have a couple years where injuries give you a short bench and those tiny, buried deficiencies become an itch you struggle to scratch.

Reaction Score
Geno has realized a lot about himself, his job, his relationship with his team and others. Now he has to show the players how to realize that about themselves.
I think that might be why the Freshmen have evolved so quickly. They can get rid of all the noise and concentrate on what they were brought to UCONN to do......be themselves.

Reaction Score
There is a marble bench in Central Park near the pond where they sail model boats. It's the Waldo Hitchens Bench, tucked into a niche in the shrubbery near an entrance to the Park. It's 4' tall and 27' wide in a curving arc. The Latin enscription (trans) says: "“One must live for another if he wishes to live for himself”
-- Seneca, Roman philosopher

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Geno has realized a lot about himself, his job, his relationship with his team and others. Now he has to show the players how to realize that about themselves.
I think that might be why the Freshmen have evolved so quickly. They can get rid of all the noise and concentrate on what they were brought to UCONN to do......be themselves.
he may give them some advice, maybe a model, but the players have to come to it on their own. in the general population, many, if not most, never get there. there is no secret formula.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
So cool this was posted. Watched it earlier today while researching CNC router machines.

I copied & saved the link thinking to share it with the next BYer dogging on one of the kids who aren't performing to the BYers expectations. :)

Reaction Score
There is a marble bench in Central Park near the pond where they sail model boats. It's the Waldo Hitchens Bench, tucked into a niche in the shrubbery near an entrance to the Park. It's 4' tall and 27' wide in a curving arc. The Latin enscription (trans) says: "“One must live for another if he wishes to live for himself”
-- Seneca, Roman philosopher
It has a second inscription: "Let it not be destroyed by the passage of time.”
That area of the park is one of my favorites. I like sit on the west side of the pond, near the Hans Christian Andersen statue.

Reaction Score
It has a second inscription: "Let it not be destroyed by the passage of time.”
That area of the park is one of my favorites. I like sit on the west side of the pond, near the Hans Christian Andersen statue.
Well done, Sleep! : )

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I have been hearing all this stuff about Belichick and Saban being the GOAT. We on The Boneyard know who that really is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom