Gotta Love Geno’s Passion on Coaching | The Boneyard

Gotta Love Geno’s Passion on Coaching

Reaction Score
Geno has set records in Women's BB that will Never be broken, because there is only one Gena and Uconn has him.Uconn was blessed the day he set foot on Uconn's BB court and created the Legend of Geno. GO GENO!!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
For those of us in Geno's age bracket, we get it.

The passion for what you love and do is always there. It doesn't go away. It takes a different form until its showtime.

I'm a horn player in my early 70's. I know because it's showtime Friday night for the annual Halloween Dance. The band is ready to go. 350 people in the ballroom and we are the live music. We're going to rock it for a couple of hours.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score

The passion for what you love and do is always there. It doesn't go away. It takes a different form until its showtime.

I'm a horn player in my early 70's. I know because it's showtime Friday night for the annual Halloween Dance. The band is ready to go. 350 people in the ballroom and we are the live music. We're going to rock it for a couple of hours.
Huskeynut, very cool! I am curious as to what songs you and the band will be playing. Do you target music that has a lot of horns in it (i.e., Southside Johnny, Chicago, early Springsteen, etc.) or do you improvise and add horns to more recent stuff?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Another great video was the 14 minute interview the 3 ladies had with Geno at the end of the Big East Media Day. I m sure it was posted in the BE Media Day thread, but here it is again. He is so excited for this team. Talked about Aaliyah, Ice, Nika, Paige, Azzi, and KK.

He said Aaliyah would have been 1st team AA based on how she played up to February, but like the rest of the team, she got tired out from no rest and all the injuries. Talked about how good Ice is and how he wished she was here last season to play with Dorka. Talked about how much better Paige is, and how her enthusiasm for the game is rippling through the rest of the team. How Azzi is the happiest player in the world since both Nika and Paige are incredible at finding open players to score. And talked about how electric KK is and how much fun she will be to watch this season.

Didn't get a chance to talk about the other players, but with the depth we have, you know the entire staff and team are excited for this season! I think they all feel very confident and positive about what's to come...

Reaction Score
He's clearly excited about his bench and the in game changes they will afford him.
We will see. I have been watching UConn for a long time and don't ever remember Geno playing more than 8 in a rotation regardless of talent on the bench. At the very least he will have a quality replacement if one of the front line players go down.

Reaction Score
Geno is a fantastic coach who has a great personality. He loves to be interviewed and people love to interview him so they are very enjoyable for us fans.

Reaction Score

I have a former colleague in his early 80s who still fronts a big band every weekend. Doc retired at 93. Just keep doing those lip slurs.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Huskeynut, very cool! I am curious as to what songs you and the band will be playing. Do you target music that has a lot of horns in it (i.e., Southside Johnny, Chicago, early Springsteen, etc.) or do you improvise and add horns to more recent stuff?

All our arrangements our done by our leader, keyboardist and alto sax player. There are 10 of us. 1 trumpet (me), 2 alto saxes, 1 tenor sax, another keyboardist, rhythm guitar, electric bass guitar, drum set and 2 conga players.

We back up 9 singers - 3 males and 6 females. The singers, in various combos, perform 2 part to 4 part harmony.

We perform a wide variety of styles. Elvis, Miami Sound Machine, Sinatra, Motown, rhythm & blues, blues, some jazz vocals, Stevie Wonder, the Four Seasons. Our book is about 120 songs. We perform 5 times a year. Always a sold out perfomance.

We do get solos within the band. So yea, I do get to use my upper register to "scream" a little.

Since we are all in our late 60's to 70's, we have a great time performing. For us it's all about the music.

Reaction Score
We will see. I have been watching UConn for a long time and don't ever remember Geno playing more than 8 in a rotation regardless of talent on the bench. At the very least he will have a quality replacement if one of the front line players go down.
Then you didn't see Uconn when CD kept a log of PT! IMO, the 8 rotation was not by design but necessity--8 players he could count on. Look at this line up, the European Tour, and think---CAN GENO, only play 8 players consistently? When push comes to shove in the Tourney, he may fall back to his comfort position of whatever number pleases him.

mmt

Reaction Score
All our arrangements our done by our leader, keyboardist and alto sax player. There are 10 of us. 1 trumpet (me), 2 alto saxes, 1 tenor sax, another keyboardist, rhythm guitar, electric bass guitar, drum set and 2 conga players.

We back up 9 singers - 3 males and 6 females. The singers, in various combos, perform 2 part to 4 part harmony.

We perform a wide variety of styles. Elvis, Miami Sound Machine, Sinatra, Motown, rhythm & blues, blues, some jazz vocals, Stevie Wonder, the Four Seasons. Our book is about 120 songs. We perform 5 times a year. Always a sold out perfomance.

We do get solos within the band. So yea, I do get to use my upper register to "scream" a little.

Since we are all in our late 60's to 70's, we have a great time performing. For us it's all about the music.
Love to see a clip of you playing!

Reaction Score
Another great video was the 14 minute interview the 3 ladies had with Geno at the end of the Big East Media Day. I m sure it was posted in the BE Media Day thread, but here it is again. He is so excited for this team. Talked about Aaliyah, Ice, Nika, Paige, Azzi, and KK.

He said Aaliyah would have been 1st team AA based on how she played up to February, but like the rest of the team, she got tired out from no rest and all the injuries. Talked about how good Ice is and how he wished she was here last season to play with Dorka. Talked about how much better Paige is, and how her enthusiasm for the game is rippling through the rest of the team. How Azzi is the happiest player in the world since both Nika and Paige are incredible at finding open players to score. And talked about how electric KK is and how much fun she will be to watch this season.

Didn't get a chance to talk about the other players, but with the depth we have, you know the entire staff and team are excited for this season! I think they all feel very confident and positive about what's to come...

This is the most fantastic video I have watched on the Bone Yard since I've been watching. Thank You for it. I also have never seen Geno so animated about this team that I don't remember him doing the same about another.I'm glad that Geno will have a calmer time coaching this team because of the possibility that it might be his best ever. I know I'm pushing Breanna's team,but the possibility is there. My philosophy has always been "it's possible" and nobody can dispute this because they don't know it's not. This year I believe I will be the happiest about in this team. GO GENO!!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom