Got Water? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Got Water?

Reaction Score
Anyone rationing?

Went fishing from shore and was able to walk out much further than usual at a couple of lakes. Also was in Mass and some communities have started water restrictions. Lot of rivers, streams and brooks are dry. Some CT golf courses are on water restriction, and can only draw so much water for the course from local sources. Some took away the water stations and its freakin August!

Is this what San Diego feels like?

Making light of this but I think this is going to get serious for some folks, especially out west. I'm also wondering if I need to be doing something in preparation for the worse.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Anyone rationing?

Went fishing from shore and was able to walk out much further than usual at a couple of lakes. Also was in Mass and some communities have started water restrictions. Lot of rivers, streams and brooks are dry. Some CT golf courses are on water restriction, and can only draw so much water for the course from local sources. Some took away the water stations and its freakin August!

Is this what San Diego feels like?

Making light of this but I think this is going to get serious for some folks, especially out west. I'm also wondering if I need to be doing something in preparation for the worse.
I don't fish from shore, but can tell you that some of the shallowed boat ramps at lakes in the western part of the state are a foot or so shallower than normal summertime levels. Couple places that I won't go back to this season because of it.
We have a massive Tulip Tree and its leaves started turning yellow a few weeks ago, then brown, then falling. I was freaked out when I noticed it because I feared it was dying. It's only around 30' from our house so it would have to be taken down, which would cost a ton of money. Dr. Google says that it's not dead, but that this happens in summer when there is not enough water.

We had a HUGE one that was actually on the neighbor's side of the property line, but for the 53 years we lived in that house, it ALWAYS started dropping leaves before September. Most tulip trees more than 30 years or so old are hollow, and you don't find out until they fall.

Reaction Score
We just bought and planted 4 hydrangea trees and they’re already not looking so hot. Watering them twice a day now - I’ve not mowed for 3 weeks and my grass has barely grown - not that I care really. But the gardens could use some rain.

Every time there’s rain in the forecast it never materializes here.
My wife misses Hydrangeas. she loves them . Cool plant you could vary their color by changing the PH in the soil , from White , Pink , Blue
Experiment
They’re hardy enough that even I didn’t kill them. If the plants have a most wanted list I definitely near the top. Cereal killer.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife misses Hydrangeas. she loves them . Cool plant you could vary their color by changing the PH in the soil , from White , Pink , Blue
Experiment
They’re hardy enough that even I didn’t kill them. If the plants have a most wanted list I definitely near the top. Cereal killer.
I love them all, but I like the greenish-maroonish ones most. Have never grown those, though. I think they are a different variety.

Reaction Score
I live in Glendale which is Northwest of Phoenix. I check the weather radar because my dogs don't like thunder. The radar shows a storm coming and by the time it reaches Phoenix it has dried up. Today we have a 48% chance of rain, but so far nothing.
AZHusky confused me , my son was the original AZHuskie , I kind of stole it by adding Pop. He now posts under another name mostly recruiting.
There was a another storm late last night to the west , I live in Eastern Gilbert .
almost Queen Creek The thunder woke me at 1Am but we only got sprinkles . Wednesday it rained so hard the streets started to flood thank god it didn’t last long.
By the way rain is forecast for Sat , Sun , Mon. good luck to you and your dog.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We’re having the wettest monsoon in many years. We’re more than double the annual summer rainfall. I understand Lake Mead has risen, which is unheard of during the summer. The lakes and reservoirs in Az depend mostly on the winter snowfall melt runoff upstream to sustain them. The mountains that are N & NE of Phoenix can get 200 inch of snow on a good year.
My golf courses out here used reclaimed water . That water although not potable is pure enough to sustain fish and other wildlife in the course ponds. Those ponds then continually recirculated the water through filters.
Az is a Big State but when you subtract the lightly populated Reservations The Gila ( Hila) River Pima res is 587 sq miles but only has 11-12 thousand residents.
Arizona is lightly populated and limited in growth because:
The Federal Givermment Manages 42% of the land in national parks and Forrest’s.
State trusts 12.6%
Native Tribes over 27% ( probable 200,000. -300,000 people .
That leaves only 18+ % of the land for private use. That’s insane .
Having said that Maricopa county is a rising economic powerhouse. What’s happening here has’t been seen in Ct since the 19th and early 20th century. I think uncertainty in the Far East and California taxes and favorable business attitudes are the reason
I may have to go back to the serenity of the desert and Cotten fields 50 miles south of here.
AZs tap water is 60% reclaimed waste water. Big issue out there is pharmaceutical removal from waste water. I wouldn’t drink it on a regular basis long term

Reaction Score
A positive of this drought compared to last summer is the lack of mosquitoes. They swarmed us last summer walking in the afternoon. Rivers are drying up quickly in Eastern Ct. Serious situation. Have not heard of wells going dry yet. UConn tied into Shenipsit Lake via Connecticut Water Company a few years ago and it was good planning. They would have had major campus water restrictions with the return of students soon. I am sure the students will be encouraged to conserve water but it won't be as dire a situation.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
By diverting water from the Lucinda River?

i saw this film on a double feature with the 'ice storm' at a friends house a while back. they called it something like 'movies aboot weird fairfield county people.'
toss in beatlejuice, pillow talk, mr blandings builds his dream house, and a whole lot more, and you could have quite the movie festival on the subject.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Your foundation is about to undergo something called exsiccationary implosion
not mine. it's made of fieldstone.
more importantly, while it is downright arid at surface and above, for some strange reason, while low, the water table doesn't seem as low as it should be given the lack of water. mebbe that's just a local thing.

Reaction Score
So you guys are telling me it’s finally less humid in the northeast this summer?
I have no statistics on humidity, but last week, it was brutally humid here in Southern Connecticut, and for the NYC radio station that I listen to, WCBS 880, its weather forecasts confirmed that humidity for the NY and NJ regions.

This week, back to 80-85 and pleasant.

Only good thing about the drought is more dry beach days.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Btw, if you're familiar with the Cheever short story upon which the movie is based, see if you can find a 1993 recording of it being read aloud by the author.

I watched that movie by myself when I was a kid and I was very confused about what I was supposed to be taking away from it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Got the Charlie Brown treatment this morning.

A 30 minute squall that looked like a pin on the radar map. Within a 100 mile radius had about a 2 mile sized rain cloud dump.

Reaction Score
I watched that movie by myself when I was a kid and I was very confused about what I was supposed to be taking away from it.

I vaguely recall having seen the movie a long time ago, but here goes.

Maybe, it has to do with not crashing other people's parties even if you think they are already your friends or who you think are your friendly neighbors.

When you venture on an adventure never before taken, you can get taken or get a healthy dose of reality.

Burt was one of my favorite actors. I loved his diction and word pronunciation and versatility.

Reaction Score
I'm fortunate. Lake Erie is 4" higher than last year and 1" short of the highest level recorded. Rainfall has been sporadic. Some of my trees are showing drought stress. June and July were short of their monthly average but only by an inch or so. August is 1" above normal so far.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I vaguely recall having seen the movie a long time ago, but here goes.

Maybe, it has to do with not crashing other people's parties even if you think they are already your friends or who you think are your friendly neighbors.

When you venture on an adventure never before taken, you can get taken or get a healthy dose of reality.

Burt was one of my favorite actors. I loved his diction and word pronunciation and versatility.

That's good improvisational analysis.

I don't remember anything about it other than Lancaster basically trespassing for an hour and a half, but I remember being captivated.

Reaction Score

I don't remember anything about it other than Lancaster basically trespassing for an hour and a half, but I remember being captivated.
The ladies probably didn't mind the trespassing, but as I recall, one was bitten by him once before and didn't want his attention.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

i remember it as another 60s flick on 'what's it all mean?' 'who am i? where am i going?' etc.
in other words - borriiiinnngggg. mebbe if he wore board shorts, had a righteous rasta doo, and cracked out a doob or two, with sum babes tossed in for atmosphere, it would at least be funny.
ahh, i can see it now. our hero, wasted, spends like half an hour, contorting his body to get the massage effect everywhere on his body, of standing next to the jacuzzi'ish discharge. the possibilities are endless.

i have low standards for entertainment.

Last edited:

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
The last time I remember a summer this dry was 1999, and I believe we caught the rainy side of a hurricane in September.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom