Got the feed and watched it all. Here are some quick observations. | The Boneyard

Got the feed and watched it all. Here are some quick observations.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
1. Vanguard was completely outmatched physically. Plus, they were completely overwhelmed with the energy UCONN brought at the start of the game.
2. UCONN played a bunch of 1-2-2, often with Lou or Phessa out top. As long as they both are, it will be difficult for point guards to throw it over them.
3. Irwin was first off the bench. It was normal Kyla. I can't decide if she is looking at extensive minutes or if this is a temporary situation until ONO is ready.
4. Speaking of ONO, Vanguard had nobody that could match up to her length. She was active on the boards at both ends.
5. CW made the first basket of the year on a sweet, right-handed layup off the dribble.
6. Lou hinted at this this. MW played the high post on offense an extensive amount of time. She won't (at least not yet) make anybody forget about Gabby's passing skills. If she can hit that mid-range jumper, feed Phessa on the post and reverse the ball, a huge issue is addressed.
7. They started in a 3 quarter 1-2-2 press with Phessa the front person. They only did it about three times but Vanguard had no chance against it.
8. I am sure that Geno is frustrated by the lack of scoring at the end of the game by the subs. Bent and Irwin both missed layups. Touly got a bunch of touches but could not consistently take care of the ball.
9. Feel bad for Touly. She and Lexi were the last two in. With her revealing how much time she has to spend prior to practice just to be able to participate, playing time has to be testing her patience. Unfortunately, I did not see much that would indicate that she deserves more.
10. It never gets old, no matter the competition, watching this team put on an unselfish clinic like that they did in the first quarter.
11. It was great seeing Fudd, Jones, Boston and Bueckers behind the bench. They were emotionless (expected) but there, together nonetheless.
12. Coombs got extensive time. She is really quick, athletic and a good penetrator. I hope, above all the other girls, that Geno shows patience with her. I think, with time, she can help.

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If four starters can carry the scoring load (and it seems likely that they can), then putting Kyla at the low post isn’t a bad idea. She is a willing passer, good at practice; she’s BB smart, and now more athletic with her “new” look. She was not, and is not, a waste of a scholarship in any way. Geno’s faith in her and the fans’ patience will be rewarded.

Reaction Score
Gave you actually seen her at practice big bird?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Gave you actually seen her at practice big bird?

On video, yes. But more important than my own perspective is that of her coaches, who have commented on how dedicated and energetic she is at practice. She may not make it to the wall of honor, but she could be very useful to this team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Things I learned about Williams

She can create her own shot.

She gets to the line.
I’m sure I’ll learn things about CW this season, but I already knew those. I was pleasantly surprised that she moved her feet well on defense. This kid has a lot of tools.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was surprised that UConn played as much zone defense as they did. Also surprised that Napheesa was out front on the zone press defense. Obviously those defenses worked well. The zone defense was pretty active. Wonder if the zone and zone press will be the main defenses this year.

CW played like a junior. Very powerful player, confident. She gets to where she wants to on the court, as they say. She and Crystal (who also looked sharp) should complement each other very well. One unusual observation - she made a number of lengthy (and accurate) passes and I was impressed by the zip they had and the effortless delivery.

As has been noted, the bench did not look good when they were all in there together. However, Coombs, ONO and perhaps Kyla may be able to provide decent minutes when they are out there with the starters. Not looking for them to score much, just be part of the offensive flow and play good defense. Pick a season, Geno is unlikely to go more than eight deep in a big game.

Continue to be amazed at how Lou and Napheesa can score in bunches. Lou took over for a stretch in the second quarter and Napheesa in the third. Basket after basket. Scoring machines. I think Lou had 17 in the second quarter.

Walker is a tenacious rebounder and her ability to hit jumpers from the key area will be very valuable. Gabby was great from that spot although her main strengths were passing from there or taking it to the hoop.

There was a lot of energy in the building for an exhibition game.

When we last saw this group, there were some physical issues to deal with - Lou, Coombs, Crystal, Camara. Very happy to see that they are all moving well!

Reaction Score
I’m sure I’ll learn things about CW this season, but I already knew those. I was pleasantly surprised that she moved her feet well on defense. This kid has a lot of tools.
I noticed that too. CW and MW are trying very hard to do what coach wants them to do. This is a REALLY good thing, as they are more than capable. What worries me is we have no bench at all beyond ONO. Lou and Crystal are fragile, and Phee only has 40 minutes to give.

Reaction Score
I was surprised that UConn played as much zone defense as they did. Also surprised that Napheesa was out front on the zone press defense. Obviously those defenses worked well. The zone defense was pretty active. Wonder if the zone and zone press will be the main defenses this year.

CW played like a junior. Very powerful player, confident. She gets to where she wants to on the court, as they say. She and Crystal (who also looked sharp) should complement each other very well. One unusual observation - she made a number of lengthy (and accurate) passes and I was impressed by the zip they had and the effortless delivery.

As has been noted, the bench did not look good when they were all in there together. However, Coombs, ONO and perhaps Kyla may be able to provide decent minutes when they are out there with the starters. Not looking for them to score much, just be part of the offensive flow and play good defense. Pick a season, Geno is unlikely to go more than eight deep in a big game.

Continue to be amazed at how Lou and Napheesa can score in bunches. Lou took over for a stretch in the second quarter and Napheesa in the third. Basket after basket. Scoring machines. I think Lou had 17 in the second quarter.

Walker is a tenacious rebounder and her ability to hit jumpers from the key area will be very valuable. Gabby was great from that spot although her main strengths were passing from there or taking it to the hoop.

There was a lot of energy in the building for an exhibition game.

When we last saw this group, there were some physical issues to deal with - Lou, Coombs, Crystal, Camara. Very happy to see that they are all moving well!
Get used to the zone defenses. It will be their best chance against good teams. Their vulnerability to dribble drives and offensive rebounding with their lack of depth would kill them playing man defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Get used to the zone defenses. It will be their best chance against good teams. Their vulnerability to dribble drives and offensive rebounding with their lack of depth would kill them playing man defense.

Geno had fun with that in his interview. He was saying the kids were never happier than when they are told to play zone defense and only need to guard a patch the size of a desk. ;)

Reaction Score
With the starting line up of Lou, Phessa,CD, MW, CW. we have no lergimate center. So zone will be played quite often.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Two things I really liked is that Christyn Williams is a much better passer than I would've thought she was. And ONO can pass out of a double team.
Very good observations. Looks like we got a couple of really good recruits. And as Geno said, Williams could be really, really (that's 2) good.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Very good observations. Looks like we got a couple of really good recruits. And as Geno said, Williams could be really, really (that's 2) good.
Too good is just what we need! ;)

Reaction Score
Curious with the recruits in attendance, what did attendance look like? Assumed fan energy high?

Reaction Score
Not sure how much can be gleaned from this exhibition. What I saw was that the starting unit is more than competent at scoring. I thought Walker and Collier worked well together. Not sure Vanguard was much of a challenge for them defensively.

The reserves were for the most part competent. No, they didn't score well but it was the first game. I think they took care of the ball better than they did last year, but again this was not much of a test. Coombs was out of control a bit. Still, errors of commission are preferable to errors of omission. ONO was good, but making freshman mistakes defensively (reaching over rather than staying vertical) as expected and I don't see her holding up well underneath against top flight competition in the post area. She will need to get stronger or she will get pushed off the block a lot.

The game against Ohio State will provide a better picture of where the team is.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Curious with the recruits in attendance, what did attendance look like? Assumed fan energy high?

Was not there but the commentators said an estimated attendance was ~ 6500 and they sold out the student sections so I am guessing it was a very good environment. CW also implied about the environment and how she had never played in front of such a crowd. She was nervous before the game and was happy to get out to a good start.

Reaction Score
Was not there but the commentators said an estimated attendance was ~ 6500 and they sold out the student sections so I am guessing it was a very good environment. CW also implied about the environment and how she had never played in front of such a crowd. She was nervous before the game and was happy to get out to a good start.
Attendance was listed as 8200 although the 6500 # is more realistic. Lots of season ticket holders stayed home

Reaction Score
I expect a lot more zone than last year. Might be a good strategy to get the youth acclimated more quickly & with less stress. The big question mark is if UConn can get TOs & transition quickly enough for "easy points" using a zone defense.

Reaction Score
1. Vanguard was completely outmatched physically. Plus, they were completely overwhelmed with the energy UCONN brought at the start of the game.
2. UCONN played a bunch of 1-2-2, often with Lou or Phessa out top. As long as they both are, it will be difficult for point guards to throw it over them.
3. Irwin was first off the bench. It was normal Kyla. I can't decide if she is looking at extensive minutes or if this is a temporary situation until ONO is ready.
4. Speaking of ONO, Vanguard had nobody that could match up to her length. She was active on the boards at both ends.
5. CW made the first basket of the year on a sweet, right-handed layup off the dribble.
6. Lou hinted at this this. MW played the high post on offense an extensive amount of time. She won't (at least not yet) make anybody forget about Gabby's passing skills. If she can hit that mid-range jumper, feed Phessa on the post and reverse the ball, a huge issue is addressed.
7. They started in a 3 quarter 1-2-2 press with Phessa the front person. They only did it about three times but Vanguard had no chance against it.
8. I am sure that Geno is frustrated by the lack of scoring at the end of the game by the subs. Bent and Irwin both missed layups. Touly got a bunch of touches but could not consistently take care of the ball.
9. Feel bad for Touly. She and Lexi were the last two in. With her revealing how much time she has to spend prior to practice just to be able to participate, playing time has to be testing her patience. Unfortunately, I did not see much that would indicate that she deserves more.
10. It never gets old, no matter the competition, watching this team put on an unselfish clinic like that they did in the first quarter.
11. It was great seeing Fudd, Jones, Boston and Bueckers behind the bench. They were emotionless (expected) but there, together nonetheless.
12. Coombs got extensive time. She is really quick, athletic and a good penetrator. I hope, above all the other girls, that Geno shows patience with her. I think, with time, she can help.
I like this. I agree with all. #6, comment: Uconn fans remember everyone; with super players they are in every conversation until Geno retires. Gabby, Kia will live in the long UConn Fan Memory like Maria Conlon, a fave of mine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom