GoT: How should I spend my 100.00? | The Boneyard

GoT: How should I spend my 100.00?

Reaction Score
I am headed to Vegas next month and just saw that you can bet on who will rule Westeros at the end of this final season. You can also wager on who is the first to die this season.

I am definitely betting on both when I'm there. How would you wager $100 if it were you?

Jon Snow is the Latest Betting Favorite

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Just started my re-watch of the entire series. My initial guess would be Jon/Dany as joint rulers, but if I had to choose one I would go with Danerys.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I started the books a month or so ago and am on A Feast for Crows (book 4). What I love about them is their willingness to kill people off. Protagonist, antagonist, colorful side kick... no one is safe. It makes for compelling reading.

Just finished season 1 of the series. It is well made and initially followed the books closely. I'm not a fantasy guy, and started the first one on a whim, but I really like them.

Reaction Score
While I enjoy the speculation, I find it hard to believe that anyone would offer wagers on something where the outcome is a known fact. It may not be known by us, but there are many people associated with the show that know exactly how things will turn out. How would these gambling parlors know to keep those folks from betting?

For the record, I'd take Dany +275.

Reaction Score
Okay. I looked into it and it looks like the odds are "for amusement only"

"Nevada sports books are not permitted to accept wagers on presidential elections, the Academy Awards or the winner of the TV show "Survivor." Some sports books may post odds on these events as a publicity stunt, but these odds are for amusement only. They are not real betting lines.

Under state law, wagers must involve the outcome of "athletic contests" rather than elections or votes of any kind. This means you cannot even bet on who will win awards such as the Most Valuable Player, Rookie of the Year, Cy Young and the like."

Too bad. I was going to clean up on the Night King.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Okay. I looked into it and it looks like the odds are "for amusement only"

"Nevada sports books are not permitted to accept wagers on presidential elections, the Academy Awards or the winner of the TV show "Survivor." Some sports books may post odds on these events as a publicity stunt, but these odds are for amusement only. They are not real betting lines.

Under state law, wagers must involve the outcome of "athletic contests" rather than elections or votes of any kind. This means you cannot even bet on who will win awards such as the Most Valuable Player, Rookie of the Year, Cy Young and the like."

Too bad. I was going to clean up on the Night King.

None of those odds were from anyone in Las Vegas.

Offshores send press releases to dopes who just call everything with odds attached to it Vegas.

They are low limit props that you can bet online with offshores.

Reaction Score
I am headed to Vegas next month and just saw that you can bet on who will rule Westeros at the end of this final season. You can also wager on who is the first to die this season.

I am definitely betting on both when I'm there. How would you wager $100 if it were you?

Jon Snow is the Latest Betting Favorite

I think The Night King wins. The show is the perfect commentary for our time. It is a story about how pride, hubris and petty differences will be the undoing of all humanity.

That, and if it isn’t Snow I don’t want anyone else to win.

Reaction Score
I think The Night King wins. The show is the perfect commentary for our time. It is a story about how pride, hubris and petty differences will be the undoing of all humanity.

That, and if it isn’t Snow I don’t want anyone else to win.

And Bran was the focal point of the first episode being pushed out of the window. So maybe all of this was just the story of him.

Reaction Score
I started the books a month or so ago and am on A Feast for Crows (book 4). What I love about them is their willingness to kill people off. Protagonist, antagonist, colorful side kick... no one is safe. It makes for compelling reading.

Just finished season 1 of the series. It is well made and initially followed the books closely. I'm not a fantasy guy, and started the first one on a whim, but I really like them.

Whomever allowed you to start the books should be de-friended. You just began a series that will never be completed. I began it before high school. And I am 40.

CL82

Reaction Score
Whomever allowed you to start the books should be de-friended. You just began a series that will never be completed. I began it before high school. And I am 40.
Yeah, it was more random than that. I saw the books under a 'popular' list and figured I'd give the first one a shot, it sucked me in. Well supposedly there's just one more left to be written.

I was surprised at how compelling the series is.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it was more random than that. I saw the books under a 'popular' list and figured I'd give the first one a shot, it sucked me in. Well supposedly there's just one more left to be written.

I was surprised at how compelling the series is.

Are you done with it? I wanted to push back against something you wrote, but deleted it for fear of spoilers.

CL82

Reaction Score
Are you done with it? I wanted to push back against something you wrote, but deleted it for fear of spoilers.
Thank you. I'm about 1/2 through Crows and still have the current last one to go (just checked it's called A Feast of Dragons.) Apparently there's two more yet to written, Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

I'll let you know when I finish the last FOD.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Same. Lame as !@#$ and I'm almost thinking about quitting on principle. I'll probably be saved that choice because George RR is busy doing everything in his power to NOT work on the next novel.

Not sure of the odds on him dying before finishing but I'd happily bet a 75% chance he doesn't.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I was surprised at how compelling the series is

There's a reason it became popular.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

What really pisses me off is that the series was kinda ground breaking in terms of 'edginess' and that's part of what made it fun/interesting to read.

Now, that style is more ubiquitous, so it's lost it's luster in that regard.

Reaction Score
What really pisses me off is that the series was kinda ground breaking in terms of 'edginess' and that's part of what made it fun/interesting to read.

Now, that style is more ubiquitous, so it's lost it's luster in that regard.

Try the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It outdoes GRRM at GRRM and it was actually completed in a timely manner. Probably my favorite fantasy series that takes the dark hero or anti-hero approach. It's one of the series I will turn on on Audible when working out or falling asleep.

Reaction Score
There's a reason it became popular.

Yeah, it was very well done. At least the first three books. It's a shame he dropped it, but I am very grateful to HBO for picking up the baton. It'll provide the closure Martin never will.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Try the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. It outdoes GRRM at GRRM and it was actually completed in a timely manner. Probably my favorite fantasy series that takes the dark hero or anti-hero approach. It's one of the series I will turn on on Audible when working out or falling asleep.

I read that one. Quite good.

My favorites that come to mind offhand:
  • Kingkiller Chronicles - though Rothfuss is having some GRR problems atm
  • 1st Law
  • Malazan Book of the Fallen - not for everybody as it is long (10 books!), a bit convoluted and takes a while to get going (one of those you need to get through the 1st book), but in terms of breadth of scope and overall concept, it was impressive. It also made you care about more characters than most other series. And HUGE kudos to Erikson for putting out a book a year for like 10 straight years. Get it together George!
  • The Second Apocalypse by R. Scott Bakker - I really enjoyed this one. Still going, but it's a series of 3 trilogies (actually the second turned into a quadrology. The first 8 books are done. Maybe a bit too intellectual for most, as there's a lot of philosophy in this one, it's not overbearing. Enjoyed it.
  • Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson - I just thought this was interesting in concept and delivery.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I read that one. Quite good.

My favorites that come to mind offhand:
  • Kingkiller Chronicles - though Rothfuss is having some GRR problems atm
  • 1st Law
  • Malazan Book of the Fallen - not for everybody as it is convoluted (one of those you need to get through the 1st book) and takes a while to get going, but in terms of breadth of scope and overall concept, it was impressive. It also made you care about more characters than most other series. And HUGE kudos to Erikson for putting out a book a year for like 10 straight years. Get it together George!
  • The Second Apocalypse by R. Scott Bakker - I really enjoyed this one. Still going, but it's a series of 3 trilogies (actually the second turned into a quadrology. The first 8 books are done. Maybe a bit too intellectual for most, as there's a lot of philosophy in this one, it's not overbearing. Enjoyed it.
  • Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson - I just thought this was interesting in concept and delivery.

I will definetly pick up the Second Apocalypse because I agree with you on all the others. Are you reading Sanderson's The Stormlight Archive series? I like it even more than Mistborn, although it isn't completed yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom