Got deja vu last night | The Boneyard

Got deja vu last night

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
During that first half run where we just overwhelmed Alabama on both ends of the floor and everything looked easy, I couldn't help but think back twelve years to when we did the same thing to Kentucky in Maui. We had a team with one bonafide superstar and a bunch of pieces that we thought could be good, but were unproven. The composition of our team is a little different this time around, we're much less top heavy but still have some really, really good players. I fully expect this run to vault us into the top 15-10 and keep us there for the rest of the year, just like 2011.

Reaction Score
During that first half run where we just overwhelmed Alabama on both ends of the floor and everything looked easy, I couldn't help but think back twelve years to when we did the same thing to Kentucky in Maui. We had a team with one bonafide superstar and a bunch of pieces that we thought could be good, but were unproven. The composition of our team is a little different this time around, we're much less top heavy but still have some really, really good players. I fully expect this run to vault us into the top 15-10 and keep us there for the rest of the year, just like 2011.
I think they dropped out of the top 10-15 in 2011. I could be wrong but they went 9-9 in conference and there was a point where they were struggling and had a bad stretch.

Yup, just looked it up. Had a 1-3 stretch in late January/early February and then a 1-4 stretch before the Big East Tournament. The Big East was loaded that year so they were all "good" losses and only fell to the 20th range before the Big East Tourament.

I'm hoping this year's team has a better in-conference record. Although I will take the same end result. :)

Reaction Score
Just some perspective on how good this team is playing right now. Oregon lost to Uc Irvine, #2 Houston and #12 MSU by a total of 27 points. We blew them out by 23 and it couldve been 30 had we kept starters in the last 3 minutes. We then pulled away from #18 Bama and won by 15 points. It will be interesting to see where this team is ranked come monday especially if we beat Iowa St. tonight. Top 10 as of now, if we win i dont see how we arent in the top 5.

Reaction Score
One of the differences with this team is they are deeper and can give you multiple looks. Hurley can go real big. He could play somewhat small. He can put out a team that pressures or a team that can really clamp down in the half court. He can also put out a really athletic team.

pj

Reaction Score
One of the differences with this team is they are deeper and can give you multiple looks. Hurley can go real big. He could play somewhat small. He can put out a team that pressures or a team that can really clamp down in the half court. He can also put out a really athletic team.

Yes. I said this in the off-season when people were complaining about Hurley. Last year he had five good players, six if you count Polley, but only one look he could put out there. There was no optionality to throw different looks at the opponent or play matchups. It was easy for opponents to prepare. Hurley looked like a limited coach, but really it was the roster construction that limited his options. This year he built a deep, versatile roster. He can throw a lot of looks at opponents and exploit any matchup. This is the kind of team that makes the better coaches shine. Hurley will look like a superstar coach this season.

Reaction Score
Yes. I said this in the off-season when people were complaining about Hurley. Last year he had five good players, six if you count Polley, but only one look he could put out there. There was no optionality to throw different looks at the opponent or play matchups. It was easy for opponents to prepare. Hurley looked like a limited coach, but really it was the roster construction that limited his options. This year he built a deep, versatile roster. He can throw a lot of looks at opponents and exploit any matchup. This is the kind of team that makes the better coaches shine. Hurley will look like a superstar coach this season.
They have also all bought in, and it shows on the defensive side especially. Even if a guy is beat, they don't give up. The rotate down most of the time and try to take away the passing lane. They are flying around the court on the defensive end. We knew Jackson was pretty good defensively. But Hawkins and Karban have been pretty darn good and Diarra and Alleyne seem like they can get under other guards and make them uncomfortable.

Reaction Score
Just some perspective on how good this team is playing right now. Oregon lost to Uc Irvine, #2 Houston and #12 MSU by a total of 27 points. We blew them out by 23 and it couldve been 30 had we kept starters in the last 3 minutes. We then pulled away from #18 Bama and won by 15 points. It will be interesting to see where this team is ranked come monday especially if we beat Iowa St. tonight. Top 10 as of now, if we win i dont see how we arent in the top 5.
I guarantee we won't beat Iowa State tonight.

Reaction Score
I think the big difference is we have a consistent big 3. Sanogo, Hawkins and Newton. Newton has been steady as a rock at the point. Doesnt force his own offense, takes the drive when its there but is always looking for the open guy. That deep 3 he hit against Bama was cold and just put an end to their night basically.He has been outstanding. Hawkins is an absolute demon on defense and can put up 15 points in his sleep and hes not even playing his best basketball yet. When he takes that leap forward:eek: watch out. Sanogo seemed like he needed a bit of time to adjust to facing size and athleticism and he exploded last night in the second half and i believe he will only get better as the season goes.
Then you have the complimentary players like Clingan and Karaban who have been WAAAAAYYY better early on than anyone thought. Believe me i was high on both those kids but i thought theyd need time to adjust and theyve hit the ground running. I mean Clingan held his own two nights in a row against really good frontcourts and Karaban was everywhere, hitting shots and dropping dimes! Just a fun player to watch. Throw in Joe Cali whos a 4 alarm blaze right now and this team is clicking far quicker than expected. Ajax needs to find his role and excel and when he does his impact will be big and we`ve got Diarra and Alleyne who will contribute. Oh yeah Samson gives us another big who can hopefully defend, rebound and block shots adding more depth to keep the bigs as fresh as possible for that March run.

Reaction Score
Here‘s a question and I know it’s early but how does this team’s talent compare to 11 and 14? The eye test to me so far says as good if not better.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I said this in the off-season when people were complaining about Hurley. Last year he had five good players, six if you count Polley, but only one look he could put out there. There was no optionality to throw different looks at the opponent or play matchups. It was easy for opponents to prepare. Hurley looked like a limited coach, but really it was the roster construction that limited his options. This year he built a deep, versatile roster. He can throw a lot of looks at opponents and exploit any matchup. This is the kind of team that makes the better coaches shine. Hurley will look like a superstar coach this season.
I think the whole transfer portal/extra year of eligibility deal really helped Hurley. He recruits well, but shopping the transfer portal for this season, he wasn't projecting what high school kids might turn into. He was looking at proven talent and skill sets, and had an easier time of identifying players who could fill the specific needs he saw in our team, as well as fit the system that he wants to play. Bigger, faster guards with ball handling skills, and improving our perimeter D.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom