Got 5 so we might as well talk about them | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Got 5 so we might as well talk about them

Reaction Score
So tough to decide!

I was too young/not a UConn follower for 99 and 04
2011 was the first year I started watching UConn ball, and 5 games in 5 days is still unbelievable 12 years later
I was a student on campus for 2014 so it will always have a special place in my heart

But I think my favorite was 2023. This team was the most fun UConn team I've ever watched, they had so many weapons and were built as a nearly perfect team. Overcame a lot of midseason adversity to steamroll their way through everyone in March. It especially felt good after the program was dead in the water just 5 years ago

Reaction Score
04 / 13 were dual championships too. 1999 is the best as it took hold in 88 with the NIT championship.
Hate to nitpick but the two dual championships were 2004 and 2014. We did not win in 2013

Reaction Score
Not sure how I felt before the tournament started but before the season started I thought 2014 had a chance at winning it all. I thought we would have the best backcourt in the country and it turned out to be true. 2011 blindsided me, I thought we were going to probably stink heading into that season. It seemed we were scrambling a bit for recruits, I wasn't expecting much of anything from all the new faces and I had no idea Kemba was going to turn into the best player in the country. The performance in Maui was shocking.
2011 was a pleasant surprise for me as well, but not as much. I've said before here that I think that the 2011 team's defense was underrated and their length surprised most of the teams they face in the tourney. Lamb, Smith and Oriahki aren't huge guys for their positions, but when they are flying out at shooters with their wingspans, it can be unsettling for an opposing player. One of the worst things for a shooter is to have to speed up your shot as your taking it to ensure getting it off. I love how the analysts all think it was pure luck that the Huskies opponents shot poorly against them. Even today, a few who bring it up, talk like UConn was lucked into a title and didn't really deserve it.
This last year, watching them play out of conference early, and then that stretch at the beginning of conference play, I had trouble sorting out what was the real team.

Reaction Score
2011 was a pleasant surprise for me as well, but not as much. I've said before here that I think that the 2011 team's defense was underrated and their length surprised most of the teams they face in the tourney. Lamb, Smith and Oriahki aren't huge guys for their positions, but when they are flying out at shooters with their wingspans, it can be unsettling for an opposing player. One of the worst things for a shooter is to have to speed up your shot as your taking it to ensure getting it off. I love how the analysts all think it was pure luck that the Huskies opponents shot poorly against them. Even today, a few who bring it up, talk like UConn was lucked into a title and didn't really deserve it.
This last year, watching them play out of conference early, and then that stretch at the beginning of conference play, I had trouble sorting out what was the real team.
Jay Wright was in CBS studio and said the same thing. He stated that the UConn defenders could back off the opposing ball handler or shooter to impede the drive but has enough length to still bother their shot.

Reaction Score

11 straight elimination games including 5 in 5 nights; which I feel is somehow not acknowledged enough, even here. 5’10 Kemba and a bunch of underclassmen (also not acknowledged enough). One of the most iconic March shots of all time. That was a truly “marvelous” run.
There are a couple "acknowledgements" missing.

One is at MSG there's display boards featuring great events at the Garden and the Syracuse 6 OT win over us is one of them, but there's none featuring the five wins in five nights in 2011.
Maybe I missed it?
Maybe they dismissed it because it wasn't a single game?
Or maybe they dismissed it because it wasn't a single play?

The other is the ESPN documentary, "Requiem for the Big East".
It's even more problematic in my eyes because it featured Syracuse winning 4 games in 4 nights..........with no mention of UConn winning 5 games in 5 nights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom