GOR's? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GOR's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The final two schools the B1G will take to = 16 will be;

Kansas and UConn.

Watch.

As a fan of college basketball, I would enjoy watching Kansas and UCONN play in the B1G but question whether Kansas is an option.
With respect to your mention of Kansas, yes according to Lee Barfknecht, the B1G apparently gave consideration to Kansas and there are some who do feel the Big 12 GOR could be successfully challenged.
http://sports.omaha.com/2013/04/22/realignment-expansion-not-out-of-the-question/#.UYblxFvD-Un

From the article:
As a sidenote, two sources have told The World-Herald that the Big Ten has done prior “homework” on Oklahoma, Kansas and Vanderbilt among other schools who might some day be expansion targets. The Big 12 grant-of-rights deal didn’t stop a look-see for OU and KU"

By the schools “granting” media rights to the conference for 14 years, the theory is that it would be too costly for a school to change leagues because it wouldn’t have much of value to “carry” to a new league.
Several old friends in the business of college athletics I talked to Monday said they wouldn’t bet their own money on that. These people — from conference offices and major-college athletic departments — all agreed that any number of lawyers would be delighted to challenge those deals in court. The ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 have such deals. As one buddy with a wicked sense of humor said, “Do you really think Texas would sign up for something it couldn’t get out of?”

Aside from the Big 12 GOR, which I still think would be an issue of concern to the B1G though, another potential issue is splitting from Kansas State. Kansas and Kansas State are governed by the Kansas Board of Regents and there have been statements that these two schools would not be permitted to separate into different conferences and Kansas State is not of interest to the B1G. Granted this particular article is from 3 years ago when it looked like the Big 12 would dissolve but I find it difficult to believe this sentiment does not remain.
http://cjonline.com/sports/football/2010-06-05/big_12_best_option_for_ku_ksu

From the article:
"What makes me happy and proud is that both KU and K-State have worked as a team throughout these meetings in Kansas City, basically as one voice," said Dan Lykins, a member of the Kansas Board of Regents. "I think that's helped a lot. Both ADs, Lew Perkins and John Currie, are working closely with other ADs. President Schulz gave a real inspirational speech at one of the meetings. I know he's very well respected among the other presidents and ADs." If the Big 12 falls apart, KU and K-State will be looking for a new home. Wherever they go, Lykins said, they will go together. "KU and K-State will always be in the same conference together," Lykins said. "There's not going to be a split."

pj

Reaction Score
It would have to be a situation where the Pac takes K-State and the B1G-Pac one-game rivalry idea is revived. Then you would have to do the same for OU-OSU and Texas-TT. It seems like a lot of moving parts to pull off.

Reaction Score
This is how I see it...

Texas is watching ‘little brother’ quickly grow and become more successful in the SEC. You can see this in the video of their new stadium. HUGE. The BXII is a shell of its former self, and the ‘Longhorn Network’ is not working out.

TX, TTech, OU, and OSU > PAC 16.

This will leave WV, TCU, Baylor, IAST, KSU, and Kansas. B1G will only take KU of that group, and UConn to secure the eastern front. The rest will join the AAC.

By adding KU and UConn the B1G will equal the ACC RE hoops, while still dominating them in FBall. They will be, BY FAR, the most overall balanced Conference adding these two BBall Blue-bloods to their already HUGE stable of FBall powers. Many being national powers in both FBall and BBall (MICH, OSU, MSU, WISCO.) KU adds a true all-time BBall Blue-blood (and AAU member), and UConn adds a current BBall Blue-blood, flag-ship state school (hopefully AAU soon), and also locks in NYC further.

I am also hoping the B1G adds Johns Hopkins for LaCrosse (only) and CIC membership. Maybe even Univ Toronto for B1G Hockey (only) and CIC membership.

Done.

Reaction Score
It would have to be a situation where the Pac takes K-State and the B1G-Pac one-game rivalry idea is revived. Then you would have to do the same for OU-OSU and Texas-TT. It seems like a lot of moving parts to pull off.

This is an interesting thought and agree with you this seems like a lot of moving parts to pull off. Do you even think the PAC 12 would be interested in K-State and OSU and TT without Kansas and OU and Texas? It is my sense that the PAC12 would only be interested in former members of the Big12 if Texas were a part of the group. Certainly, the B1G is not interested in OSU or TT.

Reaction Score
This is how I see it...

Texas is watching ‘little brother’ quickly grow and become more successful in the SEC. The BXII is a shell of its former self, and the ‘Longhorn Network’ is not working out. TX, TTech, OU, and OSU > PAC 16.

This will leave WV, TCU, Baylor, IAST, KSU, and Kansas. B1G will only take KU of that group, and UConn to secure the eastern front. The rest will join the AAC.

By adding KU and UConn the B1G will equal the ACC RE hoops, while still dominating them in FBall. They will be, BY FAR, the most overall balanced Conference adding these two BBall Blue-bloods to their already HUGE stable of FBall powers. Many being national powers in both FBall and BBall (MICH, OSU, MSU, WISCO.) KU adds a true all-time BBall Blue-blood (and AAU member), and UConn adds a current BBall Blue-blood, flag-ship state school (hopefully AAU soon), and also locks in NYC further.

I am also hoping the B1G adds Johns Hopkins for LaCrosse (only) and CIC membership. Maybe even Univ Toronto for B1G Hockey (only) and CIC membership.

Done.

What becomes of Kansas State? Does the Kansas Board of Regents just permit Kansas to go the B1G in light of prior statements that the two schools would not separate?

Reaction Score
I've never seen anything RE KU/KSU being joined at the hip.

I have seen something RE OU and OKST, but then again, I heard the same about TX and TA&M.

Reaction Score
I've never seen anything RE KU/KSU being joined at the hip.

I have seen something RE OU and OKST, but then again, I heard the same about TX and TA&M.

Agree with you that Kansas being #16 to UCONN being #15 for the B1G would make a great basketball conference. Certainly trying to find a #16 to UCONN being #15 is one of the challenges for our UCONN friends being extended an invitation to the B1G. As you mentioned you have heard about OU and OSU being joined. I have heard this too but also have heard it about KU and KSU and the article I mentioned above is one of those places. Aside from the Big12 GOR, I think this is another reason why Kansas being #16 is a less likely option.

Reaction Score
Can you link that article??

I believe you, I'd just like to read it.

Like I said, TX & TA&M were ALWAYS considered joined, more so than either KU/KSU or OU/OKST. They were (((supposedly))) LOCKED for life.

Since they were able to split, IMO, that means any two might be able to split.

pj

Reaction Score
This is an interesting thought and agree with you this seems like a lot of moving parts to pull off. Do you even think the PAC 12 would be interested in K-State and OSU and TT without Kansas and OU and Texas? It is my sense that the PAC12 would only be interested in former members of the Big12 if Texas were a part of the group. Certainly, the B1G is not interested in OSU or TT.

Fox would have to mediate this in order to bring the B12 properties into the Pac/B1G orbit. The Pac would not want K-State, OSU, and TT if it could get anything better, but if Texas, OU, and Kansas prefer B1G or SEC -- both of which would take those -- then what can the Pac do? Fox may bribe the Pac to accept KSU/OSU/TT rather than let the SEC encroach further on B12 territory, and enable the B1G to capture Texas/OU/KU.

If it gets to be a bidding war with the SEC/ESPN on one side and Pac/B1G/Fox making offers to B12 teams, the states of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas will assure that all 6 state schools get good landing places. This limits the SEC's ability to poach because it can't take all 6 and due to the ESPN/Fox rivalry it can't coordinate a deal with the B1G or Pac. But it might try to play spoiler to a B1G/Pac poaching effort and bid up the payouts. In addition to the big prizes Texas and OU, it might consider TT/OSU for example to solidify Texas for A&M and it might believe that OSU in the SEC could beat out OU in popularity; or OSU/K-state to complement Missouri and A&M.

Not really sure how this would play out and to what degree the Pac wants to expand or Fox would pay up to see the B12 teams migrate to conferences it has firmer control over. Overall it's not clear carving up the B12 would be beneficial for anyone, except the leading B12 teams who can probably arrange a bidding war for themselves that increases their income.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't think OKST is a bad school RE athletics, and I think the PAC would be fine with them if they were fine taking Utah.

TTech is the weakest of the TX/OK package. The other three, def OU and TX, would be GREAT additions IMO.

Kansas is the wild-card, IMO. I don't think ANYONE wants KState, while I think KU would have many options. KState needs to go the way of IAST and head to the AAC, leaving KU for the B1G.

Reaction Score
I don't think OKST is a bad school RE athletics, and I think the PAC would be fine with them if they were fine taking Utah.

TTech is the weakest of the TX/OK package. The other three, def OU and TX, would be GREAT additions IMO.

Kansas is the wild-card, IMO. I don't think ANYONE wants KState, while I think KU would have many options. KState needs to go the way of IAST and head to the AAC, leaving KU for the B1G.

I think we are both in agreement that UCONN at #15 would be a great addition for the B1G. I just question if Kansas would really be an option. I apologize to our UCONN hosts, but as a new member to this board I do not know your answer, who do you think would be a realistic #16 for the B1G?

Reaction Score
Nobody.

Aside from ACC schools whom don't seem to be going anywhere now, UConn is the only school left that would fit.

Notre Dame was always the final hope, but they may have found a permanent home that will take them w/o FBall, so they may be gone as well. We would never let them be a 'partial-member' and it seems the ACC is OK with that. Their loss, IMO. I know the Domers covet B1G Hockey.

The only place I see #16 coming from is the BXII. I know TX was rumored for a long time, but I see the TX/OK schools going PAC if they go anywhere.

If that does happen, then KU would be the only one left that would interest the B1G, IMO. Otherwise, we stay at 14.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I think we are both in agreement that UCONN at #15 would be a great addition for the B1G. I just question if Kansas would really be an option. I apologize to our UCONN hosts, but as a new member to this board I do not know your answer, who do you think would be a realistic #16 for the B1G?

Buffalo :). Totally joking.

I think Mizzou is the best chance if we aren't waiting for GORs to expire. If the B1G is willing to wait then we are back to the OU, UT, UVA, UNC, GA Tech discussions again in 12 years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't know how much of this was factual and how much was speculation on their part but a few years ago, when Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St to the PAC appeared to be a done deal (until Beebe saved the B-12, at the cost of his job, although he did receive roses from Marinatto), there were hundreds of Kansas fans throughout the internet who blamed their needing to take KSU along with them as the reason they were left behind.

pj

Reaction Score

This is our problem, it's hard to find any realistic #16. Missouri if they were willing to leave the SEC; maybe Vanderbilt likewise if the B1G was interested in a non-flagship school not geographically contiguous. Kansas, OU, or Texas if they were willing to leave the B12. UVa etc have already been tried and proved unwilling to leave the ACC. Notre Dame is unwilling to give up independence. With all due respect to Buffalo, Syracuse, and BC, none fit the B1G. West Virginia is maybe a notch above Buffalo, they are a flagship state university but for a small state with weak academics, though they do support the DC market. Another possibility is a swap with the Pac, Colorado to B1G and Pac poaches B12, but then why wouldn't the B1G poach the B12? None of those possibilities seem to have more than the slenderest chance. It looks like barring dissolution of the B12, for UConn to enter the B1G would most likely have to go to 15.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Buffalo :). Totally joking.

I think Mizzou is the best chance if we aren't waiting for GORs to expire. If the B1G is willing to wait then we are back to the OU, UT, UVA, UNC, GA Tech discussions again in 12 years.

Also, we are generally full of and alternatively: a) hopefully optimistic; b) dreadfully pessisimistic. So if you see a poster extoll UConn as the second coming of UVA in one post, then write us off as Florida Gulf Coast in the next that is about what you should expect here until we land in a decent conference.

Reaction Score
As a fan of college basketball, I would enjoy watching Kansas and UCONN play in the B1G but question whether Kansas is an option.
With respect to your mention of Kansas, yes according to Lee Barfknecht, the B1G apparently gave consideration to Kansas and there are some who do feel the Big 12 GOR could be successfully challenged.
http://sports.omaha.com/2013/04/22/realignment-expansion-not-out-of-the-question/#.UYblxFvD-Un

From the article:
As a sidenote, two sources have told The World-Herald that the Big Ten has done prior “homework” on Oklahoma, Kansas and Vanderbilt among other schools who might some day be expansion targets. The Big 12 grant-of-rights deal didn’t stop a look-see for OU and KU"

By the schools “granting” media rights to the conference for 14 years, the theory is that it would be too costly for a school to change leagues because it wouldn’t have much of value to “carry” to a new league.
Several old friends in the business of college athletics I talked to Monday said they wouldn’t bet their own money on that. These people — from conference offices and major-college athletic departments — all agreed that any number of lawyers would be delighted to challenge those deals in court. The ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 have such deals. As one buddy with a wicked sense of humor said, “Do you really think Texas would sign up for something it couldn’t get out of?”

Aside from the Big 12 GOR, which I still think would be an issue of concern to the B1G though, another potential issue is splitting from Kansas State. Kansas and Kansas State are governed by the Kansas Board of Regents and there have been statements that these two schools would not be permitted to separate into different conferences and Kansas State is not of interest to the B1G. Granted this particular article is from 3 years ago when it looked like the Big 12 would dissolve but I find it difficult to believe this sentiment does not remain.
http://cjonline.com/sports/football/2010-06-05/big_12_best_option_for_ku_ksu

From the article:
"What makes me happy and proud is that both KU and K-State have worked as a team throughout these meetings in Kansas City, basically as one voice," said Dan Lykins, a member of the Kansas Board of Regents. "I think that's helped a lot. Both ADs, Lew Perkins and John Currie, are working closely with other ADs. President Schulz gave a real inspirational speech at one of the meetings. I know he's very well respected among the other presidents and ADs." If the Big 12 falls apart, KU and K-State will be looking for a new home. Wherever they go, Lykins said, they will go together. "KU and K-State will always be in the same conference together," Lykins said. "There's not going to be a split."

I must have completely blown by this post earlier. Totally missed it.

Thx.

Reaction Score
Instead of picking a fight with the Pac12 over Colorado, I think Colorado State has tremendous upside, but it's long term investment that would be slighted by many at first, but truly embraced within a decade.

CSU is in a a difficult battle to build an on campus stadium that seats 50k - plus. I guarantee a BIG membership would inject the necessary muscle to get the stadium built. They don't have very many Men's sports, but I could see them adding hockey (both sexes), baseball & maybe lacrosse (both sexes) via BIG membership - that would be enough over time.

Colorado can support both the Pac12 & BTN, statewide.

Ft Collins is gorgeous & worth visiting every couple of years.

The state is growing at a rapid pace, drawing lots of midwestern folks and Californians.

Coloridians, in general, are caring more and more about their public education, k-graduate research.

The nice thing about CSU and UConn additions, both would want to join the BIG, both have long-term upside.

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Colorado State, intriguing idea, they are a research university, $330 mn in annual research expenditures, enrollment 27,500, there is upside there. I've wondered why you never hear their name with the B12 but never considered them for the B1G.

Reaction Score
I don't know how much of this was factual and how much was speculation on their part but a few years ago, when Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma St to the PAC appeared to be a done deal (until Beebe saved the B-12, at the cost of his job, although he did receive roses from Marinatto), there were hundreds of Kansas fans throughout the internet who blamed their needing to take KSU along with them as the reason they were left behind.

I think it's very real. It was always a misnomer to think Kansas was possibly going to get left behind if the Pac-16 came to fruition as if KU alone had anything to do with it. The reality was that they can't really proactively move without endangering Kansas State. It's the same thing with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. In the game of conference realignment, Kansas and Oklahoma are easy adds for any conference (including the Big Ten) on their own. However, if you have to add KSU and/or OSU on top of them, then that's a different equation for even the wealthiest conferences that can "afford" to take another school like the Big Ten and SEC. I know that I've seen a lot of fans from both KU and OU that believe that they could move on their own if they wanted to, but I've heard and seen quite a bit to the contrary.

Reaction Score
Colorado State, intriguing idea, they are a research university, $330 mn in annual research expenditures, enrollment 27,500, there is upside there. I've wondered why you never hear their name with the B12 but never considered them for the B1G.

There's a pretty massive gap for Colorado State to become an AAU school and they aren't really that strong of a sports brand name. They're just nowhere on the radar for the Big Ten. If the Big Ten was interested in heading into the Rocky Mountain region, they would have grabbed Colorado itself. Now, CSU ought to be a Big 12 candidate if they had any pulse in football, but they simply don't have that pulse. (We could say the same about New Mexico and UNLV, too.)

While the Big Ten certainly expanded to add Rutgers and Maryland because of the markets that they sit in, please don't forget that they fit other critical Big Ten criteria that would have applied even before the days of the Big Ten Network: they're AAU institutions (not just possible ones - they are *in*) with favorable demographics in excellent (for the North) football recruiting grounds. If you have to start making exceptions in terms of explaining why a school would be a candidate to the Big Ten that's not an unambiguously elite and powerful football brand name (e.g. Nebraska and Notre Dame), then they're not a realistic candidate. The Big Ten simply won't be expanding without schools from the Big 12 and/or ACC involved. I know people here want/need further realignment chaos (and it might still happen with the Big 12), but it just won't happen with the Big Ten here. Heck, remember that the Big Ten PASSED on Missouri multiple times when the school was on knee pads for the conference for the better part of 18 months. Why the heck would the Big Ten suddenly want them now and, even if they did, why would a school leave the SEC no matter how good the B1G money might be when ACC schools didn't? Nothing makes sense about that scenario at this point. There has never been a reason for the Big Ten to expand for the sake of expanding - too many people think 16 members (or 18 or whatever number they think the Big Ten will expand to that will include their favorite school) is the goal in and of itself when nothing could be further from the truth.

Reaction Score

Done.

U-Toronto isn't going to leave the CIS, not even for hockey; the only way that's happening is if there's a SERIOUS move by a number of teams to the NCAA, with the promise they can get a landing spot in Division I as a group.

CIS hockey is a serious step below NCAA D-I, and pretty much a step below NCAA D-III. A middle of the road CIS team like U-Toronto will get pummeled in B1G hockey.

And Hopkins lacrosse values its independence about as highly as Notre Dame does its football independence. If the B1G came with an offer that said "If you join and let us get the automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, we will just straight up GIVE it to you," Hopkins would still think about it.

Reaction Score
I think it's very real. It was always a misnomer to think Kansas was possibly going to get left behind if the Pac-16 came to fruition as if KU alone had anything to do with it. The reality was that they can't really proactively move without endangering Kansas State. It's the same thing with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. In the game of conference realignment, Kansas and Oklahoma are easy adds for any conference (including the Big Ten) on their own. However, if you have to add KSU and/or OSU on top of them, then that's a different equation for even the wealthiest conferences that can "afford" to take another school like the Big Ten and SEC. I know that I've seen a lot of fans from both KU and OU that believe that they could move on their own if they wanted to, but I've heard and seen quite a bit to the contrary.

Why would a Kansas be an easy add for the Big Ten? Poor football, small market.

Missouri seems a much bigger grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer