Gopherdaily predicts UConn as 1 seed next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gopherdaily predicts UConn as 1 seed next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd say 5 or less total losses could get a 1 seed. We have a very good OOC schedule next year I believe
We thought we had a great OOC schedule then half the team's completely shut the bed this year.

Reaction Score
As sad as I am to say this, I say this with 100% conviction: We'd have to go undefeated to even sniff a #1 seed as long as we're in the AAC. With that said, #1 seeds are over-rated. Just look at this year's Final Four. The goal should be a 3 seed or higher. Even a #4 is good.
If we had finished 32-2 this year with losses at Cincinnati and at SMU our RPI would have been 3 and we would have been a number one seed. Every team we've ever had that has been a number one seed would have been a number one seed if they played this year's schedule.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
how does one learn about a "gopherdaily"?

why does it exist?

is it a hockey site? maybe ice fishing?

Reaction Score
Well a lot of variables need to happen for this team to be a #1 next year. I mean the list is large, from people staying, people getting more consistent, people getting better finally, freshman impacting and even the potential additions forthcoming. Nonetheless they will have a chance to have a special season if it all comes together.

Reaction Score
Well a lot of variables need to happen for this team to be a #1 next year. I mean the list is large, from people staying, people getting more consistent, people getting better finally, freshman impacting and even the potential additions forthcoming. Nonetheless they will have a chance to have a special season if it all comes together.
Good points and of course watching what guys like Reynolds (Xavier) and Whitehead (Seton Hall) decide to do with their NBA/overseas careers will be interesting. As much as I hate to say it Duke will probably be a pretty heavy favorite to get the MSG #1 Seed in the East. The committee could put them in Memphis but NYC is about 3 hours closer to Durham.

Reaction Score
We are Def going to be a 1 seed...

....in the NIT.

Doooooomed already!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I want MSG this year, it's always magic.

Reaction Score
Yes, I know what type of seasons those teams put together, although I'm not sure why you brought up Wichita St. since neither of us did.

They put together a season that any of our good regular season teams of the last 30 years would have put together had they played in the AAC at that time. So if we get back to the level of those regular season teams, we will have an extremely good record, and get a very high seed in the tournament.
Uconn hasnt lost less than 5 games since 99 and have only loss less than 4 twice. Sure it was the big east but i definitely dont see next years team losing less than 5 games.

Reaction Score
Uconn hasnt lost less than 5 games since 99 and have only loss less than 4 twice. Sure it was the big east but i definitely dont see next years team losing less than 5 games.
Well the 2005-6 team had less than 5 losses, and the 2008-9 team had less than 5 going into the tournament. If everyone comes back and Adams makes the improvement he's capable of over the offseason, I can see us losing less than 5. Hell, if we had any ability to win close games during the regular season, we would have been in the 5 loss range this year. We were just spectacular at losing close games.

My point is I don't see how it's any harder to get a number 1 seed out of this conference than it was in the Big East. Yes, we have an easier schedule so we'll need to have 1 or 2 less losses than we would if we played the Big East schedule, but we should have 1 or 2 less losses because the schedule is easier.

Reaction Score
Must be some wild weed that the golden gopher writers are munching out there. Regardless of our great class, projecting us to a number one seed is hallucinogenic at this point looking at our entire roster. Then again I believed we were going to be a dominant team as last season started.

Reaction Score
Uconn hasnt lost less than 5 games since 99

Did you go back and look at the seasons before you said that? Obviously you don't count NCAA tournament losses in such a calculation because those come after the seeding, but we even had one were we lost less than 5 with the NCAA tournament loss.

Reaction Score
I'm one of the most optimistic fans ever and I'm not sure about this. I think next year's starting five (assuming the current roster is final) will be Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, Facey and Brimah. Don't think that 5 has the potential to be a 1 seed. To me, we are looking at a 4-5 seed. We will also really need our freshman to step up. Gilbert needs to become a true point and grind it out on defense. Vance needs to give us some 3 point shooting. Mamadou needs to play scrappy and help us out on the boards.

Reaction Score
I'm one of the most optimistic fans ever and I'm not sure about this. I think next year's starting five (assuming the current roster is final) will be Adams, Purvis, Hamilton, Facey and Brimah. Don't think that 5 has the potential to be a 1 seed. To me, we are looking at a 4-5 seed. We will also really need our freshman to step up. Gilbert needs to become a true point and grind it out on defense. Vance needs to give us some 3 point shooting. Mamadou needs to play scrappy and help us out on the boards.
Well I'm an eternal pessimist and I see us as having an outstanding team, the best regular season we've had since maybe '09 (can't remember a few of the years). So I guess we cancel each other out!

I think the biggest reason people are missing the boat on my enthusiasm is the board is selling Gilbert short. We've had so many guys that have been quite good, but haven't lived up to the hype. Sometimes the hype gets crazy like Lubin a few years ago, i couldn't even wade into those ridiculous assertions that he was Adrien 2.0.

Gilbert and Adams give us two elite creators, and will free up Purvis and DHam for open looks, good opportunities slashing as well. we have struggled so much for two years on O since we only had one guard ballhandler. Now DHam is third or so in the handle pecking order and that's more natural to him.

PG - 2 headed monster back in place!!! What makes UConn great! Very strong in this area, Gilbert is physically ready strength wise and a more natural point by a mile than Jalen, who is a point also but more of a combo to me. Gilbert is a big-time ready-made point. He will play big mins right away.

SG - Jalen and Purv - Would still like to add a player here that is a zone buster and strong handler. Purv will be helped so much by getting better opportunities to run/cut to the hoop with two creators. Very strong here as Purv is awesome on D as well.

SF - Provided DHam returns, he could be an All-American if he makes a big jump we all know he can make if he develops more mental toughness. His biggest issues are in his head and the overall low quality shots he attempts! I cannot emphasize the second part of that enough. He will not need to create off the bounce as much and can play the high post more where he looked great as a frosh. Larrier is a great complement as better athlete but raw. Durham a 3/4, if he can play, u don't RS him- Very strong group.

PF - Weakness of team for sure but tons of options. I think Larrier will play a lot so depending on your view either DHam/Larrier plays some here. DHam is such a terrific rebounder as a 3. I'm not sure how much Enoch can play the four in this age of small ball, but if he can, I expect him to play a lot as he is young and will make a big jump in the offseason. We haven't seen a freshman that had his offensive skillset in some time, at least among post players. Facey can play a lot as a senior, hopefully he adds some weight as he is willing to do the little things and is a good offensive rebounder. Don't have much faith in Diarra as a freshman but will be strong 4-year guy. He will push guys like Facey to play tougher for sure and that will help.

C - A senior Brimah will be a strong option at center. Teams don't throw it into the post that much anyways and he is such a force as a rim protector. With more options including Enoch poss at the 4, his average rebounding can be a bit masked. I love Brimah and think he could improve in the offseason as he sees what other bigs can do in pre-draft camps etc. Enoch if can't go at the 4, would play a lot here.

Would love to see a 5th year post at the 4. We will be deep, can't afford an injury to Rique or Jalen. I suspect staff will add another handler/combo like Vital. I think the staff is being real aggressive in the open market now so hopefully we get another strong 4 and a solid handler. Obviously if DHam/Purv/Brimah leave it dents things quite a bit but I think this team could be a 2/3/4 seed at worst if everyone's back. I can't overstate the second point impact and KO knows it. I would be quite surprised if we didn't add a grad transfer at the 4 because everyone connected to the staff is pointing it out.

I think the loss to Kansas will help the team understand the rebounding/strength deficiencies and address them, just as we did after Texas in 2003, we got a lot bigger in size the following year.

Reaction Score
Well I'm an eternal pessimist and I see us as having an outstanding team, the best regular season we've had since maybe '09 (can't remember a few of the years). So I guess we cancel each other out!

I think the biggest reason people are missing the boat on my enthusiasm is the board is selling Gilbert short. We've had so many guys that have been quite good, but haven't lived up to the hype. Sometimes the hype gets crazy like Lubin a few years ago, i couldn't even wade into those ridiculous assertions that he was Adrien 2.0.

Gilbert and Adams give us two elite creators, and will free up Purvis and DHam for open looks, good opportunities slashing as well. we have struggled so much for two years on O since we only had one guard ballhandler. Now DHam is third or so in the handle pecking order and that's more natural to him.

PG - 2 headed monster back in place!!! What makes UConn great! Very strong in this area, Gilbert is physically ready strength wise and a more natural point by a mile than Jalen, who is a point also but more of a combo to me. Gilbert is a big-time ready-made point. He will play big mins right away.

SG - Jalen and Purv - Would still like to add a player here that is a zone buster and strong handler. Purv will be helped so much by getting better opportunities to run/cut to the hoop with two creators. Very strong here as Purv is awesome on D as well.

SF - Provided DHam returns, he could be an All-American if he makes a big jump we all know he can make if he develops more mental toughness. His biggest issues are in his head and the overall low quality shots he attempts! I cannot emphasize the second part of that enough. He will not need to create off the bounce as much and can play the high post more where he looked great as a frosh. Larrier is a great complement as better athlete but raw. Durham a 3/4, if he can play, u don't RS him- Very strong group.

PF - Weakness of team for sure but tons of options. I think Larrier will play a lot so depending on your view either DHam/Larrier plays some here. DHam is such a terrific rebounder as a 3. I'm not sure how much Enoch can play the four in this age of small ball, but if he can, I expect him to play a lot as he is young and will make a big jump in the offseason. We haven't seen a freshman that had his offensive skillset in some time, at least among post players. Facey can play a lot as a senior, hopefully he adds some weight as he is willing to do the little things and is a good offensive rebounder. Don't have much faith in Diarra as a freshman but will be strong 4-year guy. He will push guys like Facey to play tougher for sure and that will help.

C - A senior Brimah will be a strong option at center. Teams don't throw it into the post that much anyways and he is such a force as a rim protector. With more options including Enoch poss at the 4, his average rebounding can be a bit masked. I love Brimah and think he could improve in the offseason as he sees what other bigs can do in pre-draft camps etc. Enoch if can't go at the 4, would play a lot here.

Would love to see a 5th year post at the 4. We will be deep, can't afford an injury to Rique or Jalen. I suspect staff will add another handler/combo like Vital. I think the staff is being real aggressive in the open market now so hopefully we get another strong 4 and a solid handler. Obviously if DHam/Purv/Brimah leave it dents things quite a bit but I think this team could be a 2/3/4 seed at worst if everyone's back. I can't overstate the second point impact and KO knows it. I would be quite surprised if we didn't add a grad transfer at the 4 because everyone connected to the staff is pointing it out.

I think the loss to Kansas will help the team understand the rebounding/strength deficiencies and address them, just as we did after Texas in 2003, we got a lot bigger in size the following year.

I think the team will be very good, don't get me wrong, but I just think a 1 seed is a little bit of a stretch. Not completely out of the question, though.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think we've got a shot to be pretty good next year. I'd be willing to bet we pick up a 4th guard somewhere (Vital would be awesome!) and run Hamilton mostly at the 4, so Larrier can play the 3. I also like us to run 3 guards out there at times; I think Purvis can be deadly as our 3rd playmaker. Rebounding will probably be a bit of an issue again, but I think our defense will again be very good, and the offense should be improved with another year of experience for Hamilton and Adams (and the 2nd PG on the floor a lot of the time in Gilbert).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think the team will be very good, don't get me wrong, but I just think a 1 seed is a little bit of a stretch. Not completely out of the question, though.

Agreed. A 1 seed, coming out of the American, means we likely have 2 losses at most. That's a real tough sell from this perspective.

We've got a good team next year, which I expect comfortably in the dance, with the chance to make a run. But the absolute floor for losses would be 5 or so, likely a bit higher.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
We will have last year's team with Facey/Diarra instead of Miller and Gilbert instead of Gibbs with a stronger bench. Add in the development of Adams & Hamilton (not expecting big leaps for Purvis or AB) and minus the greenness of the freshmen and Larrier.

We will be better but probably not 1 seed stuff. We would need an outstanding freshman year out of Gilbert as well as big years from Adams & DHam to do that.

Trying to be logical (not that I am): Sweet 16 is a good target, 4 seed, fighter's chance to break through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom