Gopherdaily predicts UConn as 1 seed next year | The Boneyard

Gopherdaily predicts UConn as 1 seed next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
About as optimistic as it could possibly be. Not sure I'm as optimistic, but I'd say anything better than a 5 seed is plausible and not offensive.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
So this guy from Minnesota obviously knows we're headed to the B1G as there's no way anyone from the AAC ever sees a 1 seed.

Reaction Score
So this guy from Minnesota obviously knows we're headed to the B1G as there's no way anyone from the AAC ever sees a 1 seed.

Not saying it would happen, but if we did something like win the Maui Invitational and went undefeated in the AAC regular season, we'd probably be in consideration.

Reaction Score
I'd say 5 or less total losses could get a 1 seed. We have a very good OOC schedule next year I believe

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Our name recognition will help us in this area. Despite being in a subpar conference, a UConn team in March with only 3-4 losses would be a serious contender for a 1 seed because the committee and fans would know we are capable and not some kid major that got hot one season, which usually show up as flukes in the tourney.

Reaction Score
If Bentil leaves with Dunn and PC makes the tournament then Cooley should be coach of the year.

Reaction Score

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Can we actually get back to rolling through the regular season next year? I expect a few out of conference losses- our schedule is shaping up to be tough.
But the talent discrepancy between us and the rest of the AAC next year is yuge.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I obviously think the AAC isn't a P5 conference, but I think it gets some love. The top of the conference is good. UConn, SMU, Temple, Tulsa, Cincy, Memphis are all solid teams (SMU might take a big step back without Moore and Kennedy though.) It's the bottom half that hurts the conference. However, maybe Tulane with new coach Dunleavy can bring themselves to respectability.

Reaction Score
A team that was a 6 seed and could bring almost all the important pieces back? Why is that unreasonable.

Seems like they're assuming whitehead will be unhappy with his draft stock. I think he's going to dip.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga has been a 1 or 2 seed plenty of times. Hell, Wichita State was a 1-seed two years ago.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gonzaga has been a 1 or 2 seed plenty of times. Hell, Wichita State was a 1-seed two years ago.
And Memphis as well. People on this board don't like to embrace actual reality, they like to complain about the conference.

Do you guys realize what kinds of seasons WSU and GU had to put together to get those 1 seeds?

Wichita St. was undefeated in conference and 31-0 in the regular season.
Gonzaga was 31-2 in the regular season.

Does anyone really think the 2016-17 Huskies are losing 2 or fewer games?

Sorry, not this guy. Not with our inside game. Doesn't mean we couldn't win an NC with speed as in 2014, but this isn't a 0, 1 or 2 loss team.

Reaction Score
Do you guys realize what kinds of seasons WSU and GU had to put together to get those 1 seeds?

Wichita St. was undefeated in conference and 31-0 in the regular season.
Gonzaga was 31-2 in the regular season.

Does anyone really think the 2016-17 Huskies are losing 2 or fewer games?

Sorry, not this guy. Not with our inside game. Doesn't mean we couldn't win an NC with speed as in 2014, but this isn't a 0, 1 or 2 loss team.

Yes, I know what type of seasons those teams put together, although I'm not sure why you brought up Wichita St. since neither of us did.

They put together a season that any of our good regular season teams of the last 30 years would have put together had they played in the AAC at that time. So if we get back to the level of those regular season teams, we will have an extremely good record, and get a very high seed in the tournament.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes, I know what type of seasons those teams put together, although I'm not sure why you brought up Wichita St. since neither of us did.

Wichita St. is mentioned right there in the quote I used. Are you going Boeheim on me with nonsensical denials? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The Missouri Valley Conference was the #11 conference in kenpom when WSU was a 1 seed.
The WCC was the #10 conference when Gonzaga was a 1 seed.
C-USA was the #10 conference when Memphis was a 1 seed.

Even if the AAC takes a step back it's gonna be better than any of those leagues were next year. To act like we have to lose only 2 games or go undefeated is a little silly.

Reaction Score
Wichita St. is mentioned right there in the quote I used. Are you going Boeheim on me with nonsensical denials? :rolleyes:
True, my bad. I must have skimmed past it. Obviously your post is idiotic regardless.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
As sad as I am to say this, I say this with 100% conviction: We'd have to go undefeated to even sniff a #1 seed as long as we're in the AAC. With that said, #1 seeds are over-rated. Just look at this year's Final Four. The goal should be a 3 seed or higher. Even a #4 is good.

Reaction Score
As sad as I am to say this, I say this with 100% conviction: We'd have to go undefeated to even sniff a #1 seed as long as we're in the AAC. With that said, #1 seeds are over-rated. Just look at this year's Final Four. The goal should be a 3 seed or higher. Even a #4 is good.

This has no basis in reality. There is nothing to suggest that it's any easier to get a #1 seed in the ACC than it is in the AAC.

If you flipped the results of the Gonzaga game, the Maryland game, the Houston game, and one of the Cincy/Temple games, UConn would have been in the conversation for a #1 seed this season w/ 5 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom