Goofy | The Boneyard

Goofy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kerith asked her about her long arms after the UCF game (or whatever that first game after Louisville was). Her response was finding shirts that fit was difficult. Kerith then asked whether she wished she didn't have such long arms to which Stewart replied no because then it would be harder to reach stuff. It was a classic Stewie moment .

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Most basketball players both men's and women's because of their height deal with all sorts of issues that standard sized human's do not. And they have stood out as different for most of their lives. They have one advantage over all the other 'non-standard' humans in that at least they are recognized and receive praise and positive feedback for their athletic prowess.

Reaction Score
Kerith asked her about her long arms after the UCF game (or whatever that first game after Louisville was). Her response was finding shirts that fit was difficult. Kerith then asked whether she wished she didn't have such long arms to which Stewart replied no because then it would be harder to reach stuff. It was a classic Stewie moment .

I hope that kind of talk doesn't bother her (the goofy talk).

She's going to be one of the great WBB players for the foreseeable future! I like her a lot.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
To be precise, she stated that people should not wish to have short arms because then it would be harder to reach things.

huskybill is still not speaking to her.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
To be precise, she stated that people should not wish to have short arms because then it would be harder to reach things.

huskybill is still not speaking to her.
To be precise, that's huskygoofybill....or is it goofyhuskybill?

Reaction Score
I actually think the longer that those remarks are repeated here on the Boneyard and brought up again and again, the more likely Breanna will read and be distressed by them. Let those remarks go and focus on her great contributions and the teams success and other pertinent matters so that those comments will be long forgotten. Instead, it seems some people want to keep them in the headlines forever, thus serving to compound an unfortunate set of remarks.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I actually think the longer that those remarks are repeated here on the Boneyard and brought up again and again, the more likely Breanna will read and be distressed by them. Let those remarks go and focus on her great contributions and the teams success and other pertinent matters so that those comments will be long forgotten. Instead, it seems some people want to keep them in the headlines forever, thus serving to compound an unfortunate set of remarks.
Doubtful.

I could be wrong, but I just don't think she reads this board or cares what we say.

Reaction Score
Doubtful.

I could be wrong, but I just don't think she reads this board or cares what we say.

Yes, I agree with this.

I know there are many on this board who imagine that what they write goes straight
to the eyes of the players, coaching staff, parents, etc. I suppose it's human nature
to imagine that what we write will be of interest to others . . .

. . . Human nature, but not necessarily realistic.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I have been on this board long enough to trust the Administrators. They have final say on what is appropriate, and what isn't. They have been tested several times, and are very good at their jobs. (Kudos to Nan and others.)

Personally, I am not that crazy about "self-appointed" administrators...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Evidence has long pointed to the fact that players - or their families - read message boards. It would be unnatural to think that none of them would, although some individual player(s) might choose not too.

What I don't think happens is that they obsess over them. It takes a certain maturity to be a D1 athlete in the first place, more to be in a high-profile school / sport and probably a lot more to be a UConn WBB player. So, read or be aware of what is on message boards, probably. Care? Assuming you aren't getting trashed (which I think the mods do a good job of monitoring), probably not so much.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
At the risk of prolonging what some regard as an unwanted topic, there are a few points I'd like to offer. First, the "goofy" remark was first uttered by Doris Burke as I recall. Whether it was she or Lobo, it matters only slightly. There are certain boundaries that broadcasters of prep and college sports know not to cross. And as good as Burke, Lobo, and (to some extent) Ward are, they must surely know that negative remarks critical of physique, faith, family, or intellect will draw wrath every time. And these comments should draw fan reaction. I've done games for years on radio/TV and produced coverage for several years more. I've seen no shortage of players in WBB who are "too-heavy", "too-awkward", "too-wide", "too-thin", or "too-chesty." But even if I am on the edge of a six-Budweiser fade-out, I still wouldn't mention it or say that a player looked goofy.

Making a little noise about this is a good thing. It sends a message, no matter how opaque, that viewers regard a boundary to have been violated and want it stopped.

Just my two cents worth, but I'd guess hell will have frost on its windows before any of the three announcers involved again say anything that stupid about a player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Actually, I think it started with Geno or within the team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You know OK, You Think is just like another rumor!!!
But I do recollect that the concept that it originated with Geno was mentioned a number of times in previous discussions. I have no idea if it is true, but I suspect it may be, since - regardless of what you think of these commentators - Lobo especially is "in the family" and I can't imagine her coming up with it.

Whether it should have been broadcast is perhaps a judgement call, but I would be shocked if it wasn't, in fact, an inside thing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You know OK, You Think is just like another rumor!!!
I believe Geno used goofy on one of his shows as did the players. I think for the player it was in answering those questions like "who would you take with you on a cross country trip?"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
it was said on NATIONAL TELEVISION 1st... thats where it spoke the loudest.

all the crap we say about any other player who isnt one of "our girls"... please!

are you saying its ok to turn on and off our sensitivity level.

Stokes, "between the ears, its in her head" etc. would hurt more than goofy in my opinion.

lets demand an apology from Lobo and Ward, as the letter suggested

Reaction Score
Your Arms Too Short to Box with God

The show that discovered Jennifer Holliday! She went on to star in Dreamgirls on Broadway, helping making that a hit ... which ultimately led to the movie (many years later), and an Oscar for Jennifer Hudson.

Reaction Score
I have been on this board long enough to trust the Administrators. They have final say on what is appropriate, and what isn't. They have been tested several times, and are very good at their jobs. (Kudos to Nan and others.)

Though still overpaid.
:)

Reaction Score
How fortunate we are to be fans of a team whose games have become so easy, so boring, that the fans can turn their attention to whether every comment ever uttered is some perceived slight or insult at a player, the team, or coaches.

In 10 years Geno will be gone and we will long for days that are only half as good.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
with all the crap Geno says to her and about her Im sure goofy is a compliment.

maybe being called the worse post player in America shattered her ego/self esteem... maybe not

Reaction Score
with all the crap Geno says to her and about her Im sure goofy is a compliment.

maybe being called the worse post player in America shattered her ego/self esteem... maybe not

I'm pretty sure she knows better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom