Goodman: Hurley prefers UConn over Pitt | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goodman: Hurley prefers UConn over Pitt

Reaction Score
Excerpt from article in tweet above:

In the end, Hurley holds UConn in high regard. The question to me has always been about money. Can UConn afford to pay him a competitive salary? I have doubted that ability for quite some time but if they can fire KO with cause, that could be a game changer.

Reaction Score
I’m exceptionally drunk and spent the last hour waving a UConn shirt at URI fans walking around Pittsburgh so please....please....let us have some happiness.

Whether you like Hurley or not, let’s all agree that he’s the best coach available this offseason.

It’s time to feel good again. Lets go.
That would actually be Pitino... but wah, morals!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And, of course, this is why I don't think he passes.

Combine that with his desire to stay in the northeast (we are the top job in the region), plus the high regard he has for Blaney, and it’s why I expected him to come here. If he doesn’t jump now, it’s unlikely that he can land an upgrade job in an appealing place. BC, PC, Rutgers, Seton Hall? Unlikely to have openings any time soon. So if he takes a step up later it will mean moving pretty far from home.

Reaction Score
Combine that with his desire to stay in the northeast (we are the top job in the region), plus the high regard he has for Blaney, and it’s why I expected him to come here. If he doesn’t jump now, it’s unlikely that he can land an upgrade job in an appealing place. BC, PC, Rutgers, Seton Hall? Unlikely to have openings any time soon. So if he takes a step up later it will mean moving pretty far from home.
And he's already turned down Rutgers. Seton Hall is the only one that could be appealing since he's an alum, but it's a slight step up from URI and a step down from UConn.

Reaction Score
I think we should go hard after Ettore Messina. Since we are going outside the UConn family that hire would be a home run. I would pay that guy 3M per. Hurley nah...
Wow, that came out of left field. I have some relatives back in Italy. My cousin's son loves the game and is a ref in area around Rome. He loves this guy and thinks he is a genius.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think we should go hard after Ettore Messina. Since we are going outside the UConn family that hire would be a home run. I would pay that guy 3M per. Hurley nah...

I’m sure he’s got a great basketball mind. Learning under Pop is a plus. But a foreign guy isn’t going to have the connections and understanding of national HS ball to recruit effectively.

If going for NBA guys, I stand by my pick of Jay Larranaga. Learning under Stevens, and under his dad, currently local to New England. Reportedly turned down Georgia Tech previously.

Edit: and if we wanted a San Antonio assistant, I’d prefer Becky. Turned down CSU it seems.

Reaction Score
Wow, that came out of left field. I have some relatives back in Italy. My cousin's son loves the game and is a ref in area around Rome. He loves this guy and thinks he is a genius.

He is from Catania, he could be family! You leave the gun and take him. Problem is age and can he or does he want to recruit. The last guy seemed to have an issue there. Hurley still next, but Oats intrigues me, as does Hammon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I’m sure he’s got a great basketball mind. Learning under Pop is a plus. But a foreign guy isn’t going to have the connections and understanding of national HS ball to recruit effectively.

If going for NBA guys, I stand by my pick of Jay Larranaga. Learning under Stevens, and under his dad, currently local to New England. Reportedly turned down Georgia Tech previously.

Edit: and if we wanted a San Antonio assistant, I’d prefer Becky. Turned down CSU it seems.

Jay Larranaga is a very interesting option - not sure of his connections for recruiting BUT the guy certainly knows the game

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Interesting choice. A gamble...but aren't they all?

Reaction Score
I hear Hurley prefers calzone over pizza, that should tell you something.

Reaction Score

From the comments by Hurley in this article, he would want the UConn job. It'll be interesting how his agent plays it and how Benedict handles the negotiation. It's easy to give away the store to get him on a long term deal which will likely last longer than Benedict will at UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom