Goodbye SNY, Hello WFSB? | The Boneyard

Goodbye SNY, Hello WFSB?

Reaction Score
Verizon FIOS in Fairfield County doesn't currently carry WFSB so if WFBS starts carrying all of the games hopefully the gold coasters will rally together and force them to.

Reaction Score
Verizon FIOS in Fairfield County doesn't currently carry WFSB so if WFBS starts carrying all of the games hopefully the gold coasters will rally together and force them to.

It look like Youtube TV in Fairfield County doesn't carry WFSB also.

However.... WFSB has their own free streaming app for local show. Hopefully they will put the live UCONN sports on it also.

Reaction Score
It look like Youtube TV in Fairfield County doesn't carry WFSB also.

However.... WFSB has their own free streaming app for local show. Hopefully they will put the live UCONN sports on it also.

I'm sure they'd put UConn sports on the app but definitely not for free unless you already get WFSB with your cable package.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, so what about the rest of us "poor slobs" outside these station's broadcast area?!?. UConn has fans from coast-to-coast, and boarder-to-boarder. SNY was serving our needs quire nicely, as most of us were able to access their broadcast on the various TV apps and DirecTV.

So now what? Are we destined to be S.O.L? :eek: If the games will still be available via streaming.......fine. Allowances must be made for those of us "die-hard" UConn fans around the country. I haven't missed a UConn WBB game in 16 years. I don't want to start now. They have to make allowances for the rest of the country. They can't leave us hanging..................................can they? :eek: Would they?

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Don't they still have a contract with SNY? Through all this hoopla, SNY will still have broadcast rights, so WFSB cannot show our womens games. If they can, I won't have to switch to HULU from YouTube TV. It will probably be the men that they will be televising.

Reaction Score
I just watched the video announcement from WFSB and at the end of the piece they specifically said that this arrangement is in addition to the current outlets currently in place for UCONN sports. They did show a UCONN WCBB clip within the piece. I guess it is wait and see.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that all the games will remain on their current platforms. The local stuff will be like coaches shows and highlight stuff and special features.
In addition to potential games of minor sports.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
When does the current SNY contract with UConn basketball expire? Obviously if SNY still has a contract, then no other tv station can broadcast their games and programs without SNY's permission and paying a pretty penny. Correct? Or what am I missing?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yeah, so what about the rest of us "poor slobs" outside these station's broadcast area?!?. UConn has fans from coast-to-coast, and boarder-to-boarder. SNY was serving our needs quire nicely, as most of us were able to access their broadcast on the various TV apps and DirecTV.

So now what? Are we destined to be S.O.L? :eek: If the games will still be available via streaming.......fine. Allowances must be made for those of us "die-hard" UConn fans around the country. I haven't missed a UConn WBB game in 16 years. I don't want to start now. They have to make allowances for the rest of the country. They can't leave us hanging..................................can they? :eek: Would they?
Correction................That should be "BORDER-TO-BORDER." :cool:
Thanks Sifaka. ;)

Reaction Score
Note the comment about Men's and Women's Basketball!

"UConn men’s and women’s basketball, ice hockey, softball, and several coaches’ shows were said to be in the works."

I have been less than impressed by WFSB's sports coverage, particularly for women's sports. I'd rather have SNY or NBC-CT. But it's not up to me.

Reaction Score

While I understand your Pain and frustration of what may be happening, I can now say you will understand how we Ct residents feel (I've lived within 1/2 hours drive from the UConn campus for 40yrs) after going 15 year sonly being able to watch the women play maybe a third of the times because of SNY and the disputes they've had with the Cable /internet carriers.

Carnac

Reaction Score
While I understand your Pain and frustration of what may be happening, I can now say you will understand how we Ct residents feel (I've lived within 1/2 hours drive from the UConn campus for 40yrs) after going 15 year sonly being able to watch the women play maybe a third of the times because of SNY and the disputes they've had with the Cable /internet carriers.
I feel your pain to a certain extent. If I lived that close to the campus, I’d be a season ticket holder (2 seats), for the women and I would take a picture with every player if allowed. I don’t solicit autographs.

I’d have the best seats I could get since we can’t take it with us when we transition. Attending 2 games at Gampel is high on my bucket list. I gotta see two. 3,000 miles each way is too far to travel to attend only 1 game. :cool:

Reaction Score
A VPN is your friend. I live close to UConn too, and just use a VPN for all home games.

I much preferred (selfishly) when CPTV had the rights. I could get all of the games on Sling which is much cheaper than Hulu per month. Now I can only get the SNY games on Hulu.

Reaction Score

You and WE are back to CPTV days. They were fun. Geno's show was great--we could actually talk to Geno and CD about games. Maybe that shall happen again. Into each rain some life must fall.
I doubt the UConn Brand (Women) can lay dormant while other teams spread their brand. I suspect the Wheels in Storrs are working diligently to get Uconn games to every one that wants them. Fear NOT---Geno shall endure and you shall see your games.

Reaction Score
I feel your pain to a certain extent. If I lived that close to the campus, I’d be a season ticket holder (2 seats), for the women and I would take a picture with every player if allowed. I don’t solicit autographs.

I’d have the best seats I could get since we can’t take it with us when we transition. Attending 2 games at Gampel is high on my bucket list. I gotta see two. 3,000 miles each way is too far to travel to attend only 1 game. :cool:
If you are getting PICKY about distance maybe you aren't the Uconn Fan you believe your self to be.
Buy stock in CPTV and maybe you'll get preferential treatment, Or you could show your CIA or FBI or FBCI cards and get connected. Political clout does wonders. If you don't have it--make it up --no one questions the FBCI.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I have liked the SNY coverage and would be disappointed if they were not longer in the picture. They have made a concerted effort to treat UConn WBB as a big deal, which of course it is.

If WFSB were to take over the coverage at some point I would be concerned that they would not provide the same level of professionalism that SNY brings to the table. I would love to be proven wrong.

I know some complain about Beswick and Culmo, but there are many who are a whole lot worse out there. I like them.

Reaction Score
I live in the Hudson Valley, NY. I get SNY thru my Verizon Fios package. Will I continue getting SNY and the UConn Women's Basketball games? Is the dropping of SNY just for those who viewed it thru YouTube?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

exactly, 30 minutes away... but in which direction?

Carnac

Reaction Score
exactly, 30 minutes away... but in which direction?
Hi DaddyChoc. Where ya been? :) Any direction. Right now, I'm 3,000 miles away. A 30-minute drive can't be more than 40 miles (in light traffic).

Carnac

Reaction Score
You and WE are back to CPTV days. They were fun. Geno's show was great--we could actually talk to Geno and CD about games. Maybe that shall happen again. Into each rain some life must fall.
I doubt the UConn Brand (Women) can lay dormant while other teams spread their brand. I suspect the Wheels in Storrs are working diligently to get Uconn games to every one that wants them. Fear NOT---Geno shall endure and you shall see your games.
That's right!!! :D That's how I started watching UConn WBB. The quality of those broadcasts were horrible, but it was better than nothing. :eek:
I think a lot of changes are forthcoming in the next 60 days.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I think most of the schedule will remain on SNY but it would be nice if WFSB would pick up the games that SNY doesn't cover.

As for the old CPTV days, it was great to have coverage, something most WCBB teams did not have, but the constant begging drove me crazy.

Reaction Score

I knew a Season ticket holder who had seats right behind where Geno sits about 6-8 rows up pre 95. within in 2 years he was pushed up to the upper bowl and end line side of the corner. donating and paying a whole lot more then before. He stopped buying season tickets because the donation he had to make yearly just kept increasing to where he couldn't afford it. I'm retired ,on social security, a single season ticket is so far out of the realm of possibility for me that TV and the replays that get posted are all I have. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of us here in the same boat........

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that all the games will remain on their current platforms. The local stuff will be like coaches shows and highlight stuff and special features.
SNY carries all women's games that are not shown by the national networks like Fox, ESPN, CBSSN. As previously mentioned, shows would probably be special talk shows or highlight shows. Any game shown would be Mens games since they don't have a contract with any network except the league contract with FOX. I don't think this thing with WFSB will affect the womens program hardly at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom