Goodbye one-and-done: With scandals rocking youth basketball, NBA readying to step in | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Goodbye one-and-done: With scandals rocking youth basketball, NBA readying to step in

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've earned three degrees from University of Phoenix this week alone, and it's only Tuesday.
Pack 'em in. There's a tournament starting on Thursday.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Won't affect UConn as much as it will Kentucky, Duke, UNC and a few others. Will level the playing field in the NCAA.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Initially, you’ll see a lot of dudes go Euro or G-League straight out but once they realize you fade into obscurity doing that you will probably only see the handful of guys who are really ready to be NBA contributors go each year.

Reaction Score
IIRC, one and done was put in so kids wouldn't bypass college, not get drafted and have no where to play. If the NBA can set up a two tiered league that would help non-college players hone their skills and help them manage their lives then it is a big win. Players could skip college and have a good landing spot. Like baseball, the players who go to college would go with a 3 year commitment and then could declare for the draft.

Would it eliminate the shenanigans of backdoor payoffs to kids? Probably not but it would reduce substantially, IMO.
You don’t remember correctly. The one and done came about through negotiations between the players union and owners to help extend the careers of older and marginal players. Had zero to do with protecting the options of high school kids. It was all about Protcting the current NBA players’ jobs.

Reaction Score
Obviously dont know the details, but something has to change.

My gut tells me only a few kids each year go this route (top 10, or something) and it wont affect college bb much
Even top 30, with the majority of that number not going directly into the NBA, the college game would be fine.

Reaction Score
a lot of mlb players end up with bubkus.

There is a college scholarship plan but not everyone gets full boat on that.
Eh, I disagree. Granted, when you're talking about 5000-6000 total players, sure, some are going to get bubkus, but the fact is, that's 10 times as many that are getting paid to play a kids game than in the NBA. In baseball you have 17 and 18 year olds playing in rookie ball and 30 year olds playing in AAA. Fact is, you can actually make a halfway decent living as a professional minor league baseball player. And by the same token, you have a much larger coaching base with all those minor league teams and international scouting and foreign league organizations for some of those guys to continue their careers.

Until the NBA actually has a similar system, my concern is that the NBA wants to be involved with what ? - a dozen kids each year while 10,000 kids think they're one of those dozen. And that's the key. It's a huge difference between actually having a system like minor league baseball and "getting involved with HS players", which MLB doesn't actually do.

The baseball system is setup with draft eligibility as follows:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed
Keep in mind that even if you're drafted, you don't exhaust your eligibility unless you sign.

Then, all of those players are slotted into the appropriate level of the minor league system. Sure, some small number of draftees actually contribute in teh NBA in their rookie season, but even veteran players would probably would benefit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I think this is ultimately a good thing.

Both for CBB and, you know, ethically

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Eh, I disagree. Granted, when you're talking about 5000-6000 total players, sure, some are going to get bubkus, but the fact is, that's 10 times as many that are getting paid to play a kids game than in the NBA. In baseball you have 17 and 18 year olds playing in rookie ball and 30 year olds playing in AAA. Fact is, you can actually make a halfway decent living as a professional minor league baseball player. And by the same token, you have a much larger coaching base with all those minor league teams and international scouting and foreign league organizations for some of those guys to continue their careers.

Until the NBA actually has a similar system, my concern is that the NBA wants to be involved with what ? - a dozen kids each year while 10,000 kids think they're one of those dozen. And that's the key. It's a huge difference between actually having a system like minor league baseball and "getting involved with HS players", which MLB doesn't actually do.

The baseball system is setup with draft eligibility as follows:

• High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed
Then, all of those players are slotted into the appropriate level of the minor league system. Sure, some small number of draftees actually contribute in teh NBA in their rookie season, but even veteran players would probably

The reality is the guys in the G-League make more than a LARGE LARGE % of minor league baseball players do. There's a reason that some levels have players living with host families and guys like 7 guys to a 2 bed room condo.

like 95% of minor league players are just chattel to allow the real prospects a chance to play and develop.

Also worth mentioning is that maybe 1% of all college baseball players get a 100% scholarship. So they also come out with plenty of student debt like any other normal student.

I would be in favor of an academy style system for basketball more than any other sport for many of the reasons you talk about. I think it is good for football players to stay just because very few HS seniors are physically capable of playing in the NFL right away. To me that's a player safety issue. But right now we know for a fact that plenty of basketball players can physically handle it at 18/19.

College basketball will be fine and probably better off and Duke and Kentucky can't get all the best players anyway.

Reaction Score
You don’t remember correctly. The one and done came about through negotiations between the players union and owners to help extend the careers of older and marginal players. Had zero to do with protecting the options of high school kids. It was all about Protcting the current NBA players’ jobs.

While that was part of it, it was primarily the owners wanting to protect themselves from the idiot GM's they hired who were drafting, Kwami Brown, Jonathon Bender & Sebastian Telfair

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
While that was part of it, it was primarily the owners wanting to protect themselves from the idiot GM's they hired who were drafting, Kwami Brown, Jonathon Bender & Sebastian Telfair

There were two opposing sides that had to agree on a deal. This is one of the few areas where they both wanted the same thing, but for different reasons. Owners wanted easier evaluation of prospects, and players wanted to protect their turf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom