Good wins, bad wins: who cares? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good wins, bad wins: who cares?

Reaction Score
First off IT’S UConn or UCONN with a capital C. Please edit your auto fix as this is completely disrespectful on OUR BOARD!
After that say what you what with whatever logic you feel supports your perspective.

It was noted in another thread that UConn has only had 1 win in single digits this year, while other “P5” teams have multiple single digit wins against bad competition so what you say is not Unique to only UConn and is why we feel our team is peaking.
I have no idea what it was that I said along those lines, I don't think I ever mentioned single-digit or any point spread for that matter ever. I think the subject of playing in the ACC hurting UConn in respect of preparing them for the tournament has been brought up on this site for years now. It is just that this season it might be even more impactful than in the past because the team has not been as obviously dominant.

As to my UConn spelling, I don't even know if that was even an auto spell or just a slip on my part. It often depends if I am on Facebook on my large screen or a small one. My eyes are garbage ( need operations ) and often things get by me if they are not picked up by auto spell. I would also add that, knowing my bad spelling and tendencies I have probably done the same thing in some of my other posts. I suspect that it was called to task this time because the type of post it was in was not agreeable. Although because of your inclusion of the point spread statement, I also suspect you might have integrated my post with someone else's. No biggie I have done the same sometimes after ready a lot of posts..

Reaction Score
Besides our defensive intensity which has helped our transitional offense, our offense is better now because we now have 5 starters who can score points. That was our problem against the big three and other top teams we will face depending on the bracket we end up in. I can see how they all trust each other and believe in each other. They know we have 4 legitimate 3 point shooters and Liv has started to extend out. The backdoor cuts have been better. Liv's passing from the high post is much better. Our bench is better with Aubrey finding more and more ways to contribute and Kyla looks a lot better since recovering from her foot injury. Let's go Huskies!!!!!

Reaction Score
I get it. We're not all convinced that UConn will make it to the FF let alone win the championship. But the method by which good wins/bad wins matter seems like an eye test to me. Let me give another option. And yes, it is computer generated so anyone not trusting of algorithms might want to stop reading.

I consult Ken Massey, my bookie, every UConn game to see what the "line" is, what the Huskies are expected to score and what the opponent is expected to score based on season-long data. To Ken and me, a 50 point win over Houston has the same value, no better/no worse, than a 1 point win over Oregon if these were the predicted results. The line today for UConn versus Oregon, Baylor and SC is -9, -7 and -6 respectively, These are reasonable numbers to me given that the other teams have had more consistent seasons than the Huskies.

But UConn seems to have turned a corner offensively and that takes a while to be reflected in season-long data. If, in the next six games UConn continues its offensive surge, the lines posted above do not look insurmountable to me and probably will decrease. If they stumble, well......

PS - Ken has the following top eight teams according his power rating: Oregon, Baylor, SC, MD, CT, Princeton, Stanford and Northwestern. Louisville is ninth by a very slim margin.
I think this is fascinating. I am "blown away" by his ranking of Princeton. I know their record, but the ivy league is really a weak sister in women's basketball. The NCAA, historically, does not give much credit to the ivies, which is why I still believe Princeton will have a low seed, in whatever region they are placed. I do respect their new coach, and that can make a difference. But if they win a single game ( much less two ) in the big dance , I will be shocked ( but also really pleased ). I want the ivies to do well ( I am an alum of one ), but I won't become a believer until I see it happen. I know the Harvard women ( once ranked 16 in their region ) did upset Stanford ( number 1 ) ...but that was a long while back. Since then, I don't recall an ivy team ( women ) winning any game in the NCAA tourney. Though I have not done the research to confirm.

Reaction Score
AAC was an absolute joke this year (as in most years, but this year was the worst). Watching the games, I had the feeling UConn starters were playing against the "JV" team in a scrimmage. UConn had no close games with them - the game on the line with a few minutes left.

For those who say its doesnt matter, I strong disagree. Young athletes get better by building physical & mental "muscle memory." They have little of that right now in terms of how they should play down the stretch in a close game. The team collapsed in the 4th quarter the last 3 years in the FF. I expect that same result in the E8 this year. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
I think this is fascinating. I am "blown away" by his ranking of Princeton. I know their record, but the ivy league is really a weak sister in women's basketball. The NCAA, historically, does not give much credit to the ivies, which is why I still believe Princeton will have a low seed, in whatever region they are placed. I do respect their new coach, and that can make a difference. But if they win a single game ( much less two ) in the big dance , I will be shocked ( but also really pleased ). I want the ivies to do well ( I am an alum of one ), but I won't become a believer until I see it happen. I know the Harvard women ( once ranked 16 in their region ) did upset Stanford ( number 1 ) ...but that was a long while back. Since then, I don't recall an ivy team ( women ) winning any game in the NCAA tourney. Though I have not done the research to confirm.

Princeton has a good club this year with two big time players: Alarie and Littlefield. They shoot well for both 2s and 3s. Charlie Creme, while not ranking them as high as Massie, has given them a top twenty seed.

We’ll see but two wins from a high ranking may not be out of the question.

Reaction Score
Princeton lost only 1 game in the 2015 season. They were undefeated going into the NCAA Tournament until Maryland beat them in the second round. Princetons only lost of the year. It was the second time an Ivy League school went pass the 1st round.

Reaction Score
Princeton lost only 1 game in the 2015 season. They were undefeated going into the NCAA Tournament until Maryland beat them in the second round. Princetons only lost of the year. It was the second time an Ivy League school went pass the 1st round.
Muchas gracias.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom