Good use of OC! | The Boneyard

Good use of OC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I liked the way Ollie used Omar in the first half when RB was a little flat coming out of the gate. He is ideally instant offense off the bench due to how fast he can get his shot off. Unfortunately, when he isn't hot he is not much help on defense or handling and creating offense. Ollie only used him a little in the second half to give players rest. I hope he works on his dribbling skills so he can learn to create offense off the dribble. I all most fell out of my sets laughing when Bilas called Calhoun a slasher. lol!

Good game by Calhoun playing in the Uconn offense and not forcing his shot especially in the second half when Memphis went zone. Keep up the great play off the bench OC! OC can be our microwave off the bench!

Reaction Score
OC will be a starter and key scorer for us latter in the year. He has too much talent to play as poorly as he has until tonight.

Reaction Score
He was so wide open on that drive he almost bricked the layup. A wide open layup is sometimes the hardest shot, especially when you're in a slump. I was super stoked for this kid.

Reaction Score
Good game by Calhoun playing in the Uconn offense and not forcing his shot especially in the second half when Memphis went zone. Keep up the great play off the bench OC! OC can be our microwave off the bench!

Great post and I think you may be on to something. Baby steps, but this was an encouraging performance. Omar can score, we learned that last year. If he builds on this game then putting him in the "microwave" role may be a great idea.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
Missed the first 10 or so minutes, what kind of looks did he have?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Solid game for OC tonight...really good to see him contribute tonight.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Missed the first 10 or so minutes, what kind of looks did he have?
Started with a drive to the hoop for a layup in half court offense...then hit a corner three on a nice pass from Giffey...then hit a jumper in half court offense from just inside the top of the key.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Rediculous how dave o'brien said he is more of a driver and not a good perimeter shooter! !

Reaction Score
OC will be a starter and key scorer for us latter in the year. He has too much talent to play as poorly as he has until tonight.[/quote
I think our starting 5 is set for a while. Right now Kromah does too many things better than Omar. Really happy for OC though. He needed that game real bad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rediculous how dave o'brien said he is more of a driver and not a good perimeter shooter! !

I almost choked when I heard that. Funny how he knew who on Memphis was a good shooter, but was having a bad year, and yet didn't recognize the same in Calhoun.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That was Bilas!

Good to see Omar makes some shots but he has to up the intensity level. Bilas was right about Memphis winning more than their share of 50/50 balls. Omar shortarmed a few at his feeet.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hopefully this gets Omar on a roll. loved seeing him out their taking it to the hole and canning his J's.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This game demonstrated why it's important to get OC untracked. NG had a lot of time to get off a shot on that play he went up and down. OC's player closed out on him much more quickly when OC made the three pointer. OC plays with instincts, Niels plays measured.

On defense there is no comparison. Niels is just pure hustle and OC is well behind him in that category. With that said, in the UCF and Memphis game I saw a definite change in OC. He was mixing it up in the paint a lot more than he had done in the previous games. He still doesn't dive for balls, but I would bet a lot of that has to do with his limited mobility last season due to his hips and the healing from his surgery. As he realizes that his hips are no longer an issue I expect his defense to catch up to LK and NG. Just my projection FWIW.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
NG had a lot of time to get off a shot on that play he went up and down.

That was telling. I've been going back and forth on Niels and OC from the pre-season. If Giff can't pull that trigger in a big game than someone else who can should be in there instead.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That was telling. I've been going back and forth on Niels and OC from the pre-season. If Giff can't pull that trigger in a big game than someone else who can should be in there instead.
Games and moments within games are situational. There are moments when one will contribute more than the other. There will be games when both contribute equally and there will be games when both play poorly.

It's a team game. Who know what happens in the Memphis game if Tyler did not play. He wasn't a major contributor, but he was effective in preventing Goodwin from driving to the basket, something AB could not do, and had a few critical plays at critical moments of the game. The momentum could have changed if he doesn't make those plays.

My gut tells me that OC will be the better player before the season is over. That doesn't mean I'm down on NG. Nor do I advocate Giffey's minutes be reduced to allow for OC's development. I think KO is doing a masterful job at balancing the minutes between Lasan, Neils and Omar. He's doing a masterful job of playing for the win while continuing to develop his players, both skill and energy wise. He's absolutely trying to win every game, but he is also looking at the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom