Good time for sports fans to catch up on reading | The Boneyard

Good time for sports fans to catch up on reading

Reaction Score
The list of sports and events being suspended or cancelled grows long. NBA, Power 5 conferences, NHL, MLS, ATP (men's tennis) et al. If you watch sports on TV, time to stock up on hand sanitizer (oops, too late) and good books to pass the newly freed up time you'll have. Or clean out the garage, unclog the gutters or learn Italian.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Yeah... i was thinking this a little while ago....... instead of watching basketball today.... I'll be in the yard cutting down limbs and trimming up around the yard and fence :oops:

My dating season just got an early start as well..... single women of the Triad...... I'm ready.... with no March Madness to distract me. :cool::p:D:eek:;):p

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The list of sports and events being suspended or cancelled grows long. NBA, Power 5 conferences, NHL, MLS, ATP (men's tennis) et al. If you watch sports on TV, time to stock up on hand sanitizer (oops, too late) and good books to pass the newly freed up time you'll have. Or clean out the garage, unclog the gutters or learn Italian.
I'll finally be able to catch up on all my dvr'd shows and get it down from 67% full to almost nothing. I've been watching toooooo much sports that I've still haven't watched the final season of Shadowhunters and that ended almost a year ago. I've also got a few books to read if I get tired of my shows. Oh, and I now have no excuses on finishing taxes, darn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At this very moment I'm sitting in a surgeon's office scheduling a hernia repair (sorry if that is TMI), which will be 2 weeks out. Then 4 weeks after that until I can play tennis again. Uggg! Time to watch Stranger Things, Dr Who and some Netflix stuff I've put off. Any book or TV recommendations are welcome!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Yeah... i was thinking this a little while ago....... instead of watching basketball today.... I'll be in the yard cutting down limbs and trimming up around the yard and fence :oops:

My dating season just got an early start as well..... single women of the Triad...... I'm ready.... with no March Madness to distract me. :cool::p:D:eek:;):p
There is a rumor circulating that you are in a dating quarantine. No details as yet, but it has been said that prior dates have demanded retroactive compensation. @Steelerone claims that donuts ward off the virus. Not sure what you must consume to reinstate your dating pass. I hope it is not crow. ;)

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Time to change my TV browser's Homepage back to uconnhuskygames.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There is a rumor circulating that you are in a dating quarantine. No details as yet, but it has been said that prior dates have demanded retroactive compensation. @Steelerone claims that donuts ward off the virus. Not sure what you must consume to reinstate your dating pass. I hope it is not crow. ;)

thats no rumor

snoopy.png

Reaction Score
At this very moment I'm sitting in a surgeon's office scheduling a hernia repair (sorry if that is TMI), which will be 2 weeks out. Then 4 weeks after that until I can play tennis again. Uggg! Time to watch Stranger Things, Dr Who and some Netflix stuff I've put off. Any book or TV recommendations are welcome!
Have you watched “Dark” on Netflix? It’s a German sci-fi show, highly recommended. Season 3 should hopefully be coming out this year. “The Umbrella Academy” is another great show on Netflix, with Season 2 coming out this year.

If you like documentaries at all, Netflix’s “Dirty Money” series, “The Devil We Know”, “The Protectors”, and the Amanda Knox documentary are all great watches. “The Devil We Know” is the about the DuPont polluting that the movie “Dark Waters” was based on.

Reaction Score
As a bookseller for the past 50 years, I concur. Actually, it reminds me I started following UConn women after being introduced to team by the late Connecticut-based bookseller Bill Dunn (Crystal would look like a giant next to him) who knew my passion for excellence. He tried to make every game and for a while considered himself the unofficial mascot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What will ESPN be broadcasting? I'm expecting a huge amount of replays/reruns.

Reaction Score
Next Harry Bosch book being released soon. I currently crunch 2 to 3 books out a week getting them thru the 3M Cloud Library app. Best app ever for me. I save about $300 a year now by using this app

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If you like sci-fi, I absolutely love Firefly. Only one season unfortunately, but I have watched it probably 20 times. Just outstanding.
I'm a big SCi-Fi/Fanstasy book lover. One book a week for years and years now. It's one of my great passions.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I'm a big SCi-Fi/Fanstasy book lover. One book a week for years and years now. It's one of my great passions.
Big Sarah J. Maas fan, reading her new Crescent City series "House of Earth and Blood". I like it so far.

Reaction Score
What will ESPN be broadcasting? I'm expecting a huge amount of replays/reruns.
That thought did occur to me. A whole industry of sports commentators on TV, print and radio. After they have finished talking about the cancellations in a day or two, what is left to talk about? No b'ball, hockey, baseball or football to chew on. Golf while it lasts. Is it curling season? I'm really curious as to what sports journalists and commentators will find to talk about.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That thought did occur to me. A whole industry of sports commentators on TV, print and radio. After they have finished talking about the cancellations in a day or two, what is left to talk about? No b'ball, hockey, baseball or football to chew on. Golf while it lasts. Is it curling season? I'm really curious as to what sports journalists and commentators will find to talk about.
They will talk about who had the best chance to have won a Championship in (Name Your Sport) and give the reasons why. That should take us into the late Spring early Summer time frame.[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
They will talk about who had the best chance to have won a Championship in (Name Your Sport) and give the reasons why. That should take us into the late Spring early Summer time frame.
[/QUOTE]
You're probably right Sarge. Ratings/readership will take a hit though.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Not a sport that many in the US follow but Formula 1 was to have it's first race of the season this weekend in Australia. It has been cancelled. At least one member of one of the teams has been confirmed infected with the virus.

I only mention it because when you talk about $$$, Formula 1 is the top of the $$$$$ mountain. The costs (losses) involved in canceling an event are astronomical. Being a world traveling sporting event, including multiple stops in Europe and Asia, the probability is for multiple events to be cancelled if not the season.

Unbelievable amounts of $$$$ falling to the floor (as well as another sport that ESPN needs to find something else to cover the air time. Wading through the contracts and figuring out who in the $$$$$$ chain gets stuck with the losses will likely take years.

ESPN may need to focus on the "Entertainment" portion of their charter a little more than the sports for this coming few weeks/months.

Reaction Score
When you have idle time:

DVD:

1. The Michael Wood BBC Collection : In Search Of The Trojan War / In Footsteps Of Alexander The Great / In Search Of Shakespeare / In Search Of Myths And Heroes / Conquistadors (5 Disc Box Set)

1150 minutes

2. In Search Of The Dark Ages

Michael Wood (Director)
352 minutes

3. Campion: The Complete Collection [1989]

857 Minutes

4. Lord Peter Wimsey [1972] - Complete Boxed Set

1002 Minutes

5. Dorothy L Sayers Mysteries [1987]

About 500 Minutes

6. The Mayor of Casterbridge [DVD] [1978]

349 Minutes

7. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy / Smiley's People Double Pack [DVD] [1979]

About 11 hours

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Add to the list of cancellations - Mount Everest closed to climbers. There goes my week-end.
Yea, I was thinking about running the Boston Marathon. Now what am I gonna do? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Greenwich Library System has closed for the duration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom