Good Summary of Current Realignment Situation | The Boneyard

Good Summary of Current Realignment Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...land-acc-50-million-buyout-sec-big-ten-pac-12

What I took from this:

- If Maryland can bring that exit fee down, ACC is about to be torn apart
- SEC has been chasing Duke/UNC for 3 years. I would love to see UNC go to SEC to free up a spot in B1G
- FLA/Clemson to the B12 is still a real possibility and could be the bomb that will set off the ACC destruction

We still got a long way to go. UCONN has to be prepared for the next move. We need to announce football stadium expansion and hire a good FB coach. Current staff isn't cutting it in today's environment. Plenty of coaches have won their first year (Meyers, Summerlin etc.) on the job with someone else's recruits. PP and GDL got no excuses.

Reaction Score
Agree with #1. In #2, how does UNC going to SEC open up a spot in BiG 10? They aren't currently in it and how would this make them want to expand? Agree with #3. But again, these conferences have not seemed to want to give UConn any serious look see.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Good article.
It will be fun to watch the ACC crumble.
But I highly doubt an announcement to expand The Rent is coming anytime soon.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I stopped reading when I saw Duke was coveted by the SEC. Even though this would open a spot for UConn in the ACC. Out of all the mind-boggling rumors/ideas out there this is pretty high up there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
People don't want to hear it, but Duke is the one school every conference would take without even considering their football program.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I stopped reading when I saw Duke was coveted by the SEC. Even though this would open a spot for UConn in the ACC. Out of all the mind-boggling rumors/ideas out there this is pretty high up there.
After the ACC voted in Louisville with it's academic qualifications vs. UConn there are no certainties anymore about who will go where and who will take whom!

Reaction Score
Good article.
It will be fun to watch the ACC crumble.
But I highly doubt an announcement to expand The Rent is coming anytime soon.

You don't need the money or any type of "announcement" about enlarging the Rent. You just need a fancy schmancy architectural drawing of what the new and improved Rent will look like. Then you publicicize like hell. Let a PR firm run with it, plaster it all over the UConn web-site. You don't need a ton of money to start changing perception. You just need some foresight

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
As bad as the ACC has been from an ethics standpoint lately (Miami, UNC, FSU), I still find it hard to believe that Duke would want to be in a football driven, win at all costs conference like the SEC. The SEC isn't a couple teams that are football crazy..it's the whole conference (minus Vandy).

I can see why the SEC might want Duke (prestige mostly...hoops....easy FB win), I cannot see why Duke would want to go SEC. I just don't think they are the money-whores that every other school seems to be. But....I have been surprised before.

Reaction Score
After the ACC voted in Louisville with it's academic qualifications vs. UConn there are no certainties anymore about who will go where and who will take whom!
Exactly. The "academic ciriteria" just got blown out of the water, and it's open season. Everybody is in play for the ACC now.
Duke, UNC, UVa, and the other ACC academic eltiist have just declared they are no longer interested in aligning themselves with like minded institutions (remember the initial BE raid in '03, it was all about "like minded institutions who value academics"). UL is a notch above a community college, and those 3 specific schools - UVa, UNC, and Duke - cannot be happy about the fact they are now in bed with them.

Reaction Score
Duke is Vanderbilt with a basketball team. They allow you to say "What do you mean we ignore academics? Look at Vandy/Duke!" And in Duke's case they actually might deliver a national championship in basketball too.

Reaction Score
I agree that Duke is attractive to any conference. And the SEC has improved it's academic profile. Southern schools are going to grow due to demographics and they will improve their academics over time. The SEC right now has 4 AAU schools, Missouri, Florida, Texas A&M, and Vanderbilt, which is only 1 less than the ACC.

The biggest weakness of the SEC is basketball. Adding Duke and UNC would make the SEC arguably the best basketball conference, although it may be top heavy and it would enhance the programming of the upcoming SEC network.

Reaction Score
Simply put --> we need to become a football school.

It is just a need anymore, it is a must. If we don't, we will just be another Nova. In order to compete in big time athletics, you have to be a FB school playing in a major conference. There is no other way around it unless you are ND.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Simply put --> we need to become a football school.
Simpler thing is to get more people into CT. While every state is setting up laws to scare out its Mexican population let Connecticut become friendly to Mexicans. Viewership is the answer.

Reaction Score
Simpler thing is to get more people into CT. While every state is setting up laws to scare out its Mexican population let Connecticut become friendly to Mexicans. Viewership is the answer.

This is kind of out of the box thinking we need. CT needs to increase population and cable subscribers. I don't care where they are from, just get them in as long as they can pay taxes and cable bills :)

Reaction Score
This is kind of out of the box thinking we need. CT needs to increase population and cable subscribers. I don't care where they are from, just get them in as long as they can pay taxes and cable bills :)

So instead of giving Mexican immigrants a test on U.S. history and government, let's just make sure they are willing to pay for cable TV!.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We could even subsidize them a few pesos with the 38 plus million dollars the B!G would give the state of CT over the NNNNNNNNNNNNNBE media contract!!!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
So instead of giving Mexican immigrants a test on U.S. history and government, let's just make sure they are willing to pay for cable TV!.
Now you're thinking smart. Also put them in the expanded Rent stadium. Tell them they are going to a football game as in soccer!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about giving citizenship and cable access to deer?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
How about giving citizenship and cable access to deer?
Mexicans would move quicker and "Lord" knows UConn needs help quickly.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

It would behoove Lieberman to lead Congress on granting statehood to Puerto Rico while inserting a bill rider that says all cable TVs must carry the Huskies.

Alternatively, Connecticut could invade and annex Rhode Island. I doubt they'd put up much of a fight.

Reaction Score
It would behoove Lieberman to lead Congress on granting statehood to Puerto Rico while inserting a bill rider that says all cable TVs must carry the Huskies.

Alternatively, Connecticut could invade and annex Rhode Island. I doubt they'd put up much of a fight.

Well, now we know why Spackler and HFD have been so involved in posting about ships. (I'm assuming Rhode Island is actually an island. Who knows.)

ctchamps

Reaction Score

Not a bad idea! It got me thinking. Let UConn go independent and become the official American school for China. Let UConn form its own tv network and offer it to every Chinese person at the low rate of 1 yuan a month. Then maybe UConn could afford to pay more for a football coach.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if u dont understand duke/unc to the sec, then u dont understand md/uva to the b10

Reaction Score
if u dont understand duke/unc to the sec, then u dont understand md/uva to the b10

Exactly. After Maryland left, ACC got 2 state flagships left in UVA and UNC. B1G is looking for state flagship schools. If UNC ends up in the SEC, there is only UVA left. The only other state flagship sitting around is UCONN. Of course, if B1G invite both UNC and UVA, we will be back with ACC leftovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom