Good read on Natalie Butler at George Mason | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good read on Natalie Butler at George Mason

Reaction Score
Keep away from recruits the quote :eek:

“I don’t mind not seeing the heavy snowfall,” Butler admitted. “It was crazy in Connecticut. That was a shocker for me; it was like living in Antarctica. They have these wind tunnels that go through the campus up in Connecticut, so it was definitely an adjustment.”
Walking from UConn Yankee Conf games out in the dirt parking lot below the Field House--the frigid wind blew right through your clothing--it did feel artic, and at times you'd need artics for the deep snow but the enclosed garages, hardly ever.
I departed Ct because of the unrelenting snow storms--my first winter in Va, I had to dig out of two 24 inch snowstorms--SHOCK, Va is in the same planting temperature belt as Ct, albeit a bit more southerly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Keep away from recruits the quote :eek:

“I don’t mind not seeing the heavy snowfall,” Butler admitted. “It was crazy in Connecticut. That was a shocker for me; it was like living in Antarctica. They have these wind tunnels that go through the campus up in Connecticut, so it was definitely an adjustment.”
Instead you can show Nat's quote:

“I would like to thank Coach Auriemma, the coaching staff and my teammates for a great opportunity and learning experience,” Butler said. “I've had the opportunity to play at an elite level and learn from the best. I would also like to thank the UConn fans - you ARE the best and have been incredibly supportive during my career. ... Thank you!”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ken/3rdbass lives in DC. But I believe he grew up or lived in Milford for a long time, hence the name! :)

I'm excited for Nat and look forward to seeing how she does there. Rooting for her big time. And I'm proud of the way Geno handled the transfer, but that should be really no surprise - it's pretty much how he handles most transfers, few and far between they may be...
I'm still working on the growing up part. I'm a work in progress. I was born in Bristol (home of the worldwide leader) and moved to Milford at age 2. I lived there until college and 1 year on a break. I moved around for school, spent 15 years in the Philly area, and have been in the D.C. area for 30 years. Alexandria, Va. feels like home.

The 30 minute drive to Fairfax is based on the absence of traffic. During rush hour, the driving time from Alexandria may be roughly equal to the driving time from Milford. The DMV has the 2nd or 3rd worst traffic in the country and the worst outside California.

Reaction Score
I'm still working on the growing up part. I'm a work in progress. I was born in Bristol (home of the worldwide leader) and moved to Milford at age 2. I lived there until college and 1 year on a break. I moved around for school, spent 15 years in the Philly area, and have been in the D.C. area for 30 years. Alexandria, Va. feels like home.

The 30 minute drive to Fairfax is based on the absence of traffic. During rush hour, the driving time from Alexandria may be roughly equal to the driving time from Milford. The DMV has the 2nd or 3rd worst traffic in the country and the worst outside California.

I lived in Laural Md, and off of New Hampshire In DC--When Metro got in full bloom, and still blooming, I used that as often as necessary. But driving over 64 (or 66 I have troubles with the numbers not the roads) into and out of DC is either and exciting adventure or a hectic chaotic panic.
When I worked DC, I had flex hours, and left early on weekends and beat SOME traffic.
A third choice --calif, DC, I chose 84 or 95 Connecticut. --I do like visiting your area mid morning and leaving mid after noon--great eateries and shopping. It's fur piece of a ride from home, here in the Valley. Did you know we don't have pollution inspection in this areas of Va??

Reaction Score
Nat is not very good. Great attitude and teammate . Game seemed way to fast for her. Wouldn't surprise if she didn't dominate this year. Be cool if she does.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Nat is not very good. Great attitude and teammate . Game seemed way to fast for her. Wouldn't surprise if she didn't dominate this year. Be cool if she does.
I think you're a bit unreasonable here. She was remarkably dominate at Georgetown as a frosh. She was a key role player, and, essentially so in a few games, while at UConn. I suspect that your perspective is colored by the incredible standard established at UConn over the past 17+ years. "UConn normal" isn't , well, normal, for any other WCBB program, any other program. There are a few that are close - ND certainly, and for periods of time, Stanford, Baylor, SC, Duke, and, previously, UTenn, UNC, Rutgers, what have you. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two that folks will remind me of.
But, basically, you can be a good basketball player, even very good, and not be "UConn" good. It's unreasonable to hold UConn up as the baseline for "good". It's like saying that MIT is the baseline for "good engineering students" or similar academia. MIT is the baseline for extraordinary students in those disciplines, not "good" students. There are plenty of players who left UConn who were solid contributors to the programs they went to.

Reaction Score
Natalie and Crystal are two key benchers to support UConn 2016-2017 team.
Natalie had done her best when our start 5 were so tired and exhausted. I thank her for her selfless contribution to UConn the past year.

Reaction Score
I think you're a bit unreasonable here. She was remarkably dominate at Georgetown as a frosh. She was a key role player, and, essentially so in a few games, while at UConn. I suspect that your perspective is colored by the incredible standard established at UConn over the past 17+ years. "UConn normal" isn't , well, normal, for any other WCBB program, any other program. There are a few that are close - ND certainly, and for periods of time, Stanford, Baylor, SC, Duke, and, previously, UTenn, UNC, Rutgers, what have you. I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two that folks will remind me of.
But, basically, you can be a good basketball player, even very good, and not be "UConn" good. It's unreasonable to hold UConn up as the baseline for "good". It's like saying that MIT is the baseline for "good engineering students" or similar academia. MIT is the baseline for extraordinary students in those disciplines, not "good" students. There are plenty of players who left UConn who were solid contributors to the programs they went to.
You are correct in all you way--although CalTech and RPI may differ with your MIT views.
However Natalie was what she became--either by injury or mentally taken away from tough games. She gave Geno minutes in the post in difficult times--that's true. She wasn't exactly what he would have used had he a choice. In the final game, he required a body to relieve Collier and/or Gabby due to fouls--Natalie got the job--only because of her size. But her time on the floor indicates the level of play she had to give. You cannot ever fault a player who plays up to their physical and mental level in BB games--Natalie did just that. But if Geno had a choice, ie, if Kyla had the experience and another 2 inches she may have been given the nod in the final game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

You've got a witness!! In So. Calif, our freeway traffic is bad 7 days a week. We no longer have light traffic on the weekends. Sat & Sun look just like any other day of the week. :mad:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Natalie and Crystal are two key benchers to support UConn 2016-2017 team.
Natalie had done her best when our start 5 were so tired and exhausted. I thank her for her selfless contribution to UConn the past year.
Nat and Crystal worked the pick and roll nicely, once Crystal learned to toss the ball up high enough. I doubt that Nat will have such a slick passer for a teammate at GMU.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You've got a witness!! In So. Calif, our freeway traffic is bad 7 days a week. We no longer have light traffic on the weekends. Sat & Sun look just like any other day of the week. :mad:
L.A. is #1; S.F. may be #2.

I've driven "the 405" and "the 5" a lot. It's 6 lanes of cars moving 80 mph about 2 car lengths apart. Or 6 lanes of cars not moving at all.

Reaction Score
Probably on the wrong board (athletic vs. academic ) to get a good answer but I think @bags27 might be on to something. I'm also not aware of any other major dropped by UCONN recently either, so when you say "doing things like that" I can't relate.
Clearly it was a school decision since they used to offer it. It was more of a rhetorical question.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She's not a perfect fit for our style of play but would have seen a lot more minutes if we didn't have a freakishly athletic "guard" with incredible hops, athleticism and will. Nonetheless she gave her all whenever she was asked to play and never complained for a minute about playing time.

I appreciate all she did for us and wish her well at GM and wherever else life takes her.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's a tad harsh IMO. Nat was very good at times like against Baylor & Texas where she provided much need size for some UCONN player that were in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Nat and Crystal worked the pick and roll nicely, once Crystal learned to toss the ball up high enough. I doubt that Nat will have such a slick passer for a teammate at GMU.
As I said during those games--it's up to the guards to know: How hard and where to put the ball for every player on the team--especially the bigs. I said Natalie had good hand, and was derided by other posters who were right. I thought at the time Natalie needed every good word she could get.
Natalie was a difficult one to figure out---in some games she was actually good--others a liability.

Coco a nice person, may think this harsh--probably ; she wasn't mobile, tried hard to make it quickly up and down the floor, had a great top of the key shot. Her 6 ft shot against smalls was excellent, her defense needed work, basically she was what she was--and coaching even with Geno --didn't make significant changes--I cheered for her all year---I wanted her to succeed. In the AAC she had moments when I said--a break through-but in the final analysis--she was what she was.
She gave Geno all she could, no doubt. I wish her well. You may write in your diary's that Natalie Butler shall be a success in her selected field--she is intelligent and a hard worker--tough combination to beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom