Good read...After wave of transfers, Corey Floyd Jr and Samson Johnson have significant chance to contribute | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good read...After wave of transfers, Corey Floyd Jr and Samson Johnson have significant chance to contribute

Reaction Score
This was a scouting report on him from high school where they said he's a combo guard. Can he be a full time 1? TBD.

Well built and physical guard. Has functional athleticism in traffic. Ideal playing off the ball as a shooter and slasher. Has a reliable shooting stroke. Can attack the basket and finish with either hand. Solid overall ball handler and passer. Rebounds his position well.

No.

Reaction Score
Floyd also played point guard in the Peach Jam Championship game when Justice Williams was out, (and possibly most of the minutes in the semis although my memory might be off as to how much Williams played in that one). Floyd looked comfortable. He isn't a ball dominant point where everything runs through him like a Kemba, Bazz, Khalid, etc, He fulfills the role adequately and scores like a RJ Cole who many think was a natural 2G that adequately handled point. Cole may actually be a good comp until we see more of Floyd's college level play.
Not a point guard.

Reaction Score
So after practicing with the team for the year, Floyd says he can play either guard spot and it's easy for him. He was described as a combo guard in high school writeups, (which means some ability to play the point), and, he demonstratably has successfully played point on a big stage at Peach Jam, but, @superjohn says "No", so I guess the real answer is that Corey Floyd has no capacity to play any minutes at the point despite what Floyd might believe. Sorry @ToolzieFan for my previous misinformation

Reaction Score
Seems to me, albeit from tape and somewhat dated press reports from practice, that Floyd has a the ability to dribble penetrate and score, something we did not see enough of this year. Sure, Tyrese and RJ were capable, but after them not so much. @Chief00 posted a Calhoun quote heading into this year's NCAAs about the importance of shooting and dribble penetration. That's Corey's game.

Hard to say how much Johnson will impact the team next year. on defense especially he seems very raw, but I can see he's got all the tools to be a very good player here. Nice stroke.

Karaban though, I expect him to impact the game as a very multi-dimensional player, a glue guy of sorts, with a nose for the ball, very heady on both sides of the court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CFjr may not be a true pg yet but I believe even as a freshman he will see some time there and should be more effective than Gaffney was.
Floyd may not be a Point Guard but he is very much a Push Guard. We need more of that.

Quite frankly, while I understand it, Chief wishes Danny would focus more on the Push the ball fastbreak mindset rather than the 4 and 1 vs. some other half court alignment. Agree, it’s not one or the other type thing but our biggest offensive issue besides shooting is the lack of the looking up court Push fastbreak mindset. Only Jackson really has demonstrated that mentality. Floyd will Push the ball up court like a bull. Something to be said for that. It puts pressure on the defense.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Chief actually likes Richie’s game. The kid knows how to rebound better than Akok and maybe as well as Johnson.
Somewhat reminds me of Kentan Facey before Kentan developed his midrange shot and learned team offense and defense.

Reaction Score
He's also not afraid of contact. Every time he' gotten on the court, he has looked like he belongs there. I can't understand why he's seen so few minutes.
That’s a good point, he’s never embarrassed himself and plays solid. He wasn’t so much a Hurley recruit as a connection with James, maybe that’s why?

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
He's also not afraid of contact. Every time he' gotten on the court, he has looked like he belongs there. I can't understand why he's seen so few minutes.
Relieved I'm not the only one who thinks this. Richie plays tough and holds his ground in the post. Maybe there's a confidence issue with his performances in practice.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I get what you’re saying, it’s probably just semantics. I dont care if we get a guy who is listed as a PG or a CG, as long as he can dribble, pass, and score. This might ruffle some feathers here, but for example…as good a player as Taliek was, he would be a horrible fit for this offense. We don’t want a true pass first PG. We need a Ben Gordon style of player that can do both but is primarily a gifted scorer (we’re not gonna get someone as good as Ben though)

Agreed. We need players who are ballhandlers well enough to overcome presses. It would be great to get guys who can dribble, pass and shoot (Bazz and Boat) but if they don't have a good enough handle and speed to get out of trouble we will be pressed and pressured until we do. We saw instances of the shortage of that this year. Underline ballhandler/passer/penetrator. In a "perfect world" we would have the perfect 4 or 5 and out. But we don't live in a perfect recruiting world. "It's difficult to drain a swamp when you're up to your a$% in alligators"

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Somewhat reminds me of Kentan Facey before Kentan developed his midrange shot and learned team offense and defense.
If that is correct we will definitely need help at acquiring more ballhandlers. Without Cole we will need two experienced ballhandlers (good enough to punish over aggressive (pressing). The curtain will go up next fall whether we are ready or not and it will not take any opponent long to figure out our weaknesses. We were punished a lot for those weaknesses by a number of teams this past season. Nothing is more fatal (and embarrassing) as being successfully pressed. I think Karaban and AJ will compliment the backcourt that can handle pressure. Alternatively, we should be pressing and scoring transition buckets. I am hoping Floyd has adequate or better speed and would like to see us get another guard who has better than average speed to along with the ballhandler skills.

Reaction Score
So after practicing with the team for the year, Floyd says he can play either guard spot and it's easy for him. He was described as a combo guard in high school writeups, (which means some ability to play the point), and, he demonstratably has successfully played point on a big stage at Peach Jam, but, @superjohn says "No", so I guess the real answer is that Corey Floyd has no capacity to play any minutes at the point despite what Floyd might believe. Sorry @ToolzieFan for my previous misinformation

I seem to remember him and Otega Oweh sharing the ball handling responsibilities when I watched them on TV. He looked like a combo guard to me. There is no relationship on this board between the strength of people's takes and the accuracy of the takes. Someone also posted that he wasn't a focal point by far but in their 2 biggest games of the year, he was a top 2 option on a loaded team.

Reaction Score
I could see Akok having a really good comeback year.
I hope so. I really do because hes seriously talented. id like to see him post up and drive to the basket more. I think he can be a really good player and i hope he plays to his abilities. Im thrilled hes coming back and didnt transfer. Also kudos to Samson who has decided to stay and work for it. Love both these kids.

Reaction Score
Poor Richie Springs! Averaged 2.6 minutes a game his freshman year and is invisible in this article. RS should get UConn’s Rodney Dangerfield award.
I think he`ll be fine. If he works hard he will contribute more. Hes not very skilled or athletic and people should temper their expectations. If he gives us 5 min a night giving the bigs a rest and can grab a rebound or two thatd be great and about what we should expect.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Just like AJ, he should be able to spot minutes at point guard. But until we’re given a reason to suspect he can run a high level offense, I don’t blame anyone for being skeptical. He wasn’t a point in high school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom