Good read...After wave of transfers, Corey Floyd Jr and Samson Johnson have significant chance to contribute | The Boneyard

Good read...After wave of transfers, Corey Floyd Jr and Samson Johnson have significant chance to contribute

Reaction Score
Would hardly call Diggins & Gaffney transferring a wave...but I get idea that Floyd and Johnson should have a role next year...probably just bad headline writing.
Maybe it should have said wave of PG transfers since they all left

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good article. Thus is spot on. Some of the answers to the roster are just addition by subtraction.

“While the two have overlapping skillsets, if Hurley truly wants to return to a more four-out, one-in sort of spacing on offense, he has two talented players in Johnson and Akok that perfectly complement Sanogo inside.”

Reaction Score
It’s a good article. We all need a little optimism while our point guard situation remains so unsettled. Johnson showed flashes of potential and I’m excited to watch him next year, and something about Floyd makes everyone seem to think he’s a great fit for our roster and a winning player.

I have two questions for those who have seen Floyd play, or who have heard anything substantial about him from practice. They wrote, “You could plug him at the one, two, or three depending on matchups”. He was not touted as a point guard when we recruited him. Is there any evidence he could actually handle the one at the college level, besides wishful thinking on the BY? I hope he can do it.

They also wrote, “With defenses keying in on Sanogo and Jordan Hawkins next year, there’s room for Floyd to become the three-level scorer that UConn desperately needs.” That sounds great! A strong guard like him will hopefully be able to finish at the rim. Is there reason to believe he’ll be a legitimate outside shooter?

Don’t take this as too negative. Floyd strikes me as a four-year “glue guy” who will be a solid contributor and fan favorite from day one. I honestly can’t wait to see him play. But if he’s a three-level scorer who can handle the point? Man, we’re going to be good for the next few years.

Reaction Score
Good article. Thus is spot on. Some of the answers to the roster are just addition by subtraction.

“While the two have overlapping skillsets, if Hurley truly wants to return to a more four-out, one-in sort of spacing on offense, he has two talented players in Johnson and Akok that perfectly complement Sanogo inside.”
I could see Akok having a really good comeback year.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Johnson is Long and Athletic, he has potential to be another Hilton Armstrong IMO
He has potential to be quite a bit better than Hilton. He certainly shoots better if the inside game and D isn’t as developed. Hilton wasn’t very good until later in his UConn career.

Reaction Score
He looked very good when he got time. Smart and willing passer was obvious. Can’t believe he didn’t get More time

Reaction Score
Johnson is Long and Athletic, he has potential to be another Hilton Armstrong IMO
Johnson and Hilton Armstrong are very different players. Hilton developed into a very good two-way post center while Samson hopefully turns into a rim-protecting stretch four.

A thing to remember about Samson Johnson is he didn't begin to seriously play basketball until he was 16. When you combine his length, athleticism, willingness to learn...he's a guy you hope to see a big jump next year, either at a 4 or 5.

Reaction Score
It’s a good article. We all need a little optimism while our point guard situation remains so unsettled. Johnson showed flashes of potential and I’m excited to watch him next year, and something about Floyd makes everyone seem to think he’s a great fit for our roster and a winning player.

I have two questions for those who have seen Floyd play, or who have heard anything substantial about him from practice. They wrote, “You could plug him at the one, two, or three depending on matchups”. He was not touted as a point guard when we recruited him. Is there any evidence he could actually handle the one at the college level, besides wishful thinking on the BY? I hope he can do it.

They also wrote, “With defenses keying in on Sanogo and Jordan Hawkins next year, there’s room for Floyd to become the three-level scorer that UConn desperately needs.” That sounds great! A strong guard like him will hopefully be able to finish at the rim. Is there reason to believe he’ll be a legitimate outside shooter?

Don’t take this as too negative. Floyd strikes me as a four-year “glue guy” who will be a solid contributor and fan favorite from day one. I honestly can’t wait to see him play. But if he’s a three-level scorer who can handle the point? Man, we’re going to be good for the next few years.
There was an article posted here a few days ago that quoted Floyd saying he’s been practicing the PG position and that he can play there is Hurley asks him to. This team really could do some cool positionless basketball if he can play at the 1. Depending on who the transfer guard is we can likely run a 4 guard lineup of Floyd Jackson Hawkins and the transfer.

Floyd can shoot though. He’s got a reliable stroke

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There was an article posted here a few days ago that quoted Floyd saying he’s been practicing the PG position and that he can play there is Hurley asks him to. This team really could do some cool positionless basketball if he can play at the 1. Depending on who the transfer guard is we can likely run a 4 guard lineup of Floyd Jackson Hawkins and the transfer.

Floyd can shoot though. He’s got a reliable stroke
This goes to the point I tried to make in a couple of other threads. Everyone seems to be seeking a “point guard” that is a far less critical position if we are playing the way Hurley says he wants to. You need multiple guys who can handle and pass well enough, and drive and shoot. In that kind of offense. Jackson and Floyd, with Hawkins would be sufficient. We need more depth of talent obviously.

Reaction Score
Johnson and Hilton Armstrong are very different players. Hilton developed into a very good two-way post center while Samson hopefully turns into a rim-protecting stretch four.

A thing to remember about Samson Johnson is he didn't begin to seriously play basketball until he was 16. When you combine his length, athleticism, willingness to learn...he's a guy you hope to see a big jump next year, either at a 4 or 5.
Hilton’s development remains one of the most pleasant surprises in UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
This goes to the point I tried to make in a couple of other threads. Everyone seems to be seeking a “point guard” that is a far less critical position if we are playing the way Hurley says he wants to. You need multiple guys who can handle and pass well enough, and drive and shoot. In that kind of offense. Jackson and Floyd, with Hawkins would be sufficient. We need more depth of talent obviously.
I get what you’re saying, it’s probably just semantics. I dont care if we get a guy who is listed as a PG or a CG, as long as he can dribble, pass, and score. This might ruffle some feathers here, but for example…as good a player as Taliek was, he would be a horrible fit for this offense. We don’t want a true pass first PG. We need a Ben Gordon style of player that can do both but is primarily a gifted scorer (we’re not gonna get someone as good as Ben though)

Reaction Score
There's some stuff in this thread about Floyd playing the 1.

Reaction Score
With his outside shooting ability, a reasonable (ceiling) comp might be Jonathan Isaac.

Reaction Score
Hilton was pretty smooth hitting those 2 point jumpers by his senior year. Much better shooter than we're giving him credit for. Certainly better at it than Sanogo, Whaley, or Akok.

Reaction Score
There's some stuff in this thread about Floyd playing the 1.

Thanks. The first article in that thread didn’t mention playing the one, and that’s the one I remember reading already, but the other article you posted farther down did.

Earlier this week, Floyd said he can play either guard spot.

"I can play point," Floyd said. "I've been working on my ball handling a lot this year. The one position is actually easy for me. I like to pass first and get my teammates involved."

Even if he can just co-handle the point while on the floor with Jackson for stretches, that would be huge.

Reaction Score
Hilton at the top of the key was a Cuse zone buster. LOL

Reaction Score
Thanks. The first article in that thread didn’t mention playing the one, and that’s the one I remember reading already, but the other article you posted farther down did.

Earlier this week, Floyd said he can play either guard spot.

"I can play point," Floyd said. "I've been working on my ball handling a lot this year. The one position is actually easy for me. I like to pass first and get my teammates involved."

Even if he can just co-handle the point while on the floor with Jackson for stretches, that would be huge.

This was a scouting report on him from high school where they said he's a combo guard. Can he be a full time 1? TBD.

Well built and physical guard. Has functional athleticism in traffic. Ideal playing off the ball as a shooter and slasher. Has a reliable shooting stroke. Can attack the basket and finish with either hand. Solid overall ball handler and passer. Rebounds his position well.

Reaction Score
Floyd also played point guard in the Peach Jam Championship game when Justice Williams was out, (and possibly most of the minutes in the semis although my memory might be off as to how much Williams played in that one). Floyd looked comfortable. He isn't a ball dominant point where everything runs through him like a Kemba, Bazz, Khalid, etc, He fulfills the role adequately and scores like a RJ Cole who many think was a natural 2G that adequately handled point. Cole may actually be a good comp until we see more of Floyd's college level play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom