Good Orlando press for the knights | The Boneyard

Good Orlando press for the knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This was in Nan's links after the game but just wanted to make a point. The Orlando Sentinel is a good paper and they gave the Knights game a good write-up:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...oriah-jefferson-stefanie-dolson-geno-auriemma
I think it is significant and important to praise newspapers and schools who get reporters who take WCBB seriously and do more than reporting the score and the individual player stats. Shannon Owens I think did a really nice job of writing a story instead of just submitting copy.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...oriah-jefferson-stefanie-dolson-geno-auriemma

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Great article.

I was at the game and it felt like a home game for UCONN.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Orlando Sentinel has one of the better sports sections in the country, as far as the depth and breadth of its coverage goes. They've followed wcbb for years along with several other high school and college sports.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You will read variations on this script over and over as UConn plays in new venues before larger-than-ever crowds. Orlando, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, etc. The hand-wringing by those who despair over the current state of the AAC will fade as these schools and communities and, yes, wcbb programs will be energized by the UConn example of excellence.

I wish I had a buck for every high school women's basketball coach, player and parent that will come to see our Huskies. The effect of the press coverage and local TV coverage cannot be measured with precision but surely will be significant.

The weak teams in the AAC are only two recruiting classes away from competitiveness at a higher level than now. At least some (I believe many) will seize the opportunity. Just watch and see.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You will read variations on this script over and over as UConn plays in new venues before larger-than-ever crowds. Orlando, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, etc. The hand-wringing by those who despair over the current state of the AAC will fade as these schools and communities and, yes, wcbb programs will be energized by the UConn example of excellence.

I wish I had a buck for every high school women's basketball coach, player and parent that will come to see our Huskies. The effect of the press coverage and local TV coverage cannot be measured with precision but surely will be significant.

The weak teams in the AAC are only two recruiting classes away from competitiveness at a higher level than now. At least some (I believe many) will seize the opportunity. Just watch and see.
I really agree with everything you say and what I also hope for is that the local papers handle it as well as the Sentinel did. I really believe that the Uconn train is a very positive thing for the whole league but it helps if the communities are help along the way by good reporters who see more than an uncompetitive final score and who take their responsibilities seriously.
When you go to the Knights home web site it takes a minute to realize you haven't gone to the football site by mistake (not all that uncommon) so part of the battle is also to get the AD and administration to take the women's game seriously and really support it. People laughed about everything KY did to promote the Duke game and Jeff buying beers, but I hope some of the AAC teams take similar approaches.

Reaction Score
I think schools like UCF, who is an up and comer in the NCAA landscape and Memphis, who has a great men's program, have a significant chance to do really well in WBB. Joi Williams must be doing something right if she was selected as an assistant coach for USA basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom