Good News.....So Far | The Boneyard

Good News.....So Far

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some time back I pointed out one of the challenges for UConn WBB actually getting to play games this season was largely beyond the team's control. The actions of the student body, faculty and staff at the University are critical to controlling the potential spread of the virus on campus, and thereby keeping UConn open for business. As of this morning, there are currently 33 active cases of Covid-19 in isolation on campus, with 129 individuals having recovered. UConn's positive test rate is below 1%, and total, on-campus cases have actually declined. There has been a recent flareup off campus, leading the University to place the Oaks apartment complex in quarantine, but all the available data indicates that UConn's students are largely holding up their end of the bargain.

While any number of cases is cause for concern, UConn has, so far, avoided the mass infection of students that other major universities have experienced for several reasons. First off, the state of Connecticut has done all the right things to drive down the infection rate to one of the lowest in the country, thereby substantially limiting the potential for community spread. Secondly, unlike other universities who simply threw up their hands when students came back to school and started partying, UConn's administration actually evicted several students from campus back in August sending a strong message to all students that the school would not tolerate the careless actions of a few students with the potential to put everyone at risk. In addition, campus security is vigilant in breaking up gatherings around campus that violate established protocols.

What this means is that UConn WBB is on track to start playing basketball games on November 25 or soon thereafter. While we are not quite sure what exactly the season will look like, it certainly looks like there will be a season. For all of us here on the BY, that is cause for at least a limited, socially-distant celebration....:cool:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One related piece of good news. Yesterday, UConn removed the quarantine for the 270 students living on campus at the Garrigus Suites, a further indication that on-campus efforts to contain the virus have been successful.

Reaction Score
Regardless of how carefully the team can be shielded from the virus their ability to
compete depends upon their opponents being able to put teams on the floor too.
One can imagine instances of games having to be postponed or cancelled altogether.

However problematic the "season" may be, everything I've read indicates that the
NCAA is determined to have a tournament this year, so it looks like we're going to
get a look at our team at some point.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Regardless of how carefully the team can be shielded from the virus their ability to
compete depends upon their opponents being able to put teams on the floor too.
One can imagine instances of games having to be postponed or cancelled altogether.

However problematic the "season" may be, everything I've read indicates that the
NCAA is determined to have a tournament this year, so we're going to get a look at
our team at some point.

The fact that the NFL has played a week and I do not think and positive tests were reported means that if the discipline is maintained, it is very manageable. I never would have thought the NFL could pull it off. College Football also seems to be chugging along.

Reaction Score
For me, the diciest part of the season will be air travel. UConn can fly charter, but most
other teams will be going commercial where teams won't have strict control over
their environments.

Reaction Score
Oldude gives encouraging information. I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode; so many days between now and tipoff. Seeing other sports managing to play - NFL, NBA, L/PGA, MLB, pro tennis - is a good sign that it can be done.

No matter what the season would look like, even if shortened, I'll take it and be happy.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The fact that the NFL has played a week and I do not think and positive tests were reported means that if the discipline is maintained, it is very manageable. I never would have thought the NFL could pull it off. College Football also seems to be chugging along.

I didn’t think MLB baseball would finish their season either. At the end of the first week of the season, I boldly predicted that MLB would not finish because of all of the positive tests players were getting, and the number of games that were being canceled or postponed. MLB was able to right their ship, and steer it into calm seas and a safe harbor.

I think the NCAA has looked at what is working and what didn’t work for all of the different sports leagues and organizations around the world (beginning with Korean baseball), and figured out a workable and sustainable plan that would safely allow its student athletes to complete in an atmosphere as close to normal as possible.

Back in April, most of us were pessimistic about UConn playing any games this season. The number of new Covid-19 cases being reported daily, the increasing number of deaths, and the doom and gloom coming from CDC officials and other noted infectious disease doctors, did not paint a very pleasant picture going forward. Every college campus in the country was shut down, as were most public schools.

Then, what was dark became light, and we got the news from the NCAA that men‘s and women’s basketball can begin play on Nov 25, and there will definitely be a post season tournament. And everybody said Amen. :D

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For me, the diciest part of the season will be air travel. UConn can fly charter, but most
other teams will be going commercial where teams won't have strict control over
their environments.

I think there is alot you can control even on commercial flights. I do not think flights are anywhere near full (not going to tourist spots) and maybe you can split the teams up, schedule at off times or buy empty seats etc And you can control how you go through security etc with team managers and coaches preparing the way.

Reaction Score
A word of caution. Connecticut's positive rate is now above 1%, this week 1.2%. We've had a 44% increase in positive cases over the previous week. And infections per 100,000 population, which used to be 1 or 2, is now 5. We used to have the lowest or second lowest infection rate in the country. Now we've risen to 5th.

Fairfield County has one of the highest rates of new infections- over 40 per 100,000 population- in the New York metro area. Our new infection rate is about 50% higher than Westchester County's. And we're comparable with western European countries, which are suffering a new wave of Covid infections.

This is not over. Indeed, it's getting worse rather quickly.

And when considering the new basketball season, consider that a high school student who plays football and attended the rally of some 1,000 high school football players in Hartford demanding that they be permitted to play their season this fall, tested positive. Look at a photo of all those kids standing shoulder to shoulder, and consider that one of them was infected.

I would love to have the season played. But we're going in the wrong direction. Don't bet the mortgage money on November 25th.

Reaction Score
A word of caution. Connecticut's positive rate is now above 1%, this week 1.2%. We've had a 44% increase in positive cases over the previous week. And infections per 100,000 population, which used to be 1 or 2, is now 5. We used to have the lowest or second lowest infection rate in the country. Now we've risen to 5th.

Fairfield County has one of the highest rates of new infections- over 40 per 100,000 population- in the New York metro area. Our new infection rate is about 50% higher than Westchester County's. And we're comparable with western European countries, which are suffering a new wave of Covid infections.

And when considering the new basketball season, consider that a high school student who plays football and attended the rally of some 1,000 high school football players in Hartford demanding that they be permitted to play their season this fall, tested positive. Look at a photo of all those kids standing shoulder to shoulder, and consider that one of them was infected.

I would love to have the season played. But we're going in the wrong direction. Don't bet the mortgage money on November 25th.
I'm going to give you a like on this FF even though it is a downer - data is data as long as it is good data.

With this Co-Vid thing, when trying to predict the future (including next week) there are more buts than on a billy goat farm.

Reaction Score
I'm going to give you a like on this FF even though it is a downer - data is data as long as it is good data.

With this Co-Vid thing, when trying to predict the future (including next week) there are more buts than on a billy goat farm.

I hear ya.

Actually, I was wrong about the percentage positive. Today it was up to 1.6%, and Governor Lamont is worried. The number hospitalized is now over 70, the highest number since July...

If only it were a matter of opinion....If only it weren't real.....

Reaction Score

There is also the chance the state simply says no sports, and the UConn basketball season will be over before it can start. Look at the CIAC/DPH battle over high school sports that's been going on for the last month.

Reaction Score
There is also the chance the state simply says no sports, and the UConn basketball season will be over before it can start. Look at the CIAC/DPH battle over high school sports that's been going on for the last month.

And the CIAC hasn't exactly distinguished themselves over the past two months.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So I monitor my county of Tolland where Storrs is located and the news is a little less rosy - the county had a string of 10 days in mid August with a total of zero new cases - that changed in the last ten days of August when new cases jumped significantly, and that has continued into Sept - in the last 10 days Tolland has reported 120 new cases. This may be a result of everyone in any way connected to the University being tested for the first time and discovering that the underground spread of covid was here all along, or it may be the result of the influx of students - don't know, but it is a bit worrying.

Reaction Score
So I monitor my county of Tolland where Storrs is located and the news is a little less rosy - the county had a string of 10 days in mid August with a total of zero new cases - that changed in the last ten days of August when new cases jumped significantly, and that has continued into Sept - in the last 10 days Tolland has reported 120 new cases. This may be a result of everyone in any way connected to the University being tested for the first time and discovering that the underground spread of covid was here all along, or it may be the result of the influx of students - don't know, but it is a bit worrying.

Have to think the Tolland county increase is driven by the return of UConn students and staff.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
All I know is that if or when it starts I will have everything ready for the 2020-21 Prognosticator's Regular Season Contest and hope that there will also be a Tournament edition, unlike last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Obviously, the % positive is a function of the total # of tests. So while the # of positive cases in CT have ticked up since colleges have restarted, the state of CT is still near the bottom of total active cases per 100,000 residents. In addition, while a number below 1% is desirable, it’s worth noting that the CDC guidelines suggest that anything below 5% is acceptable to return students to school. Whether you accept CDC guidelines or not, 1.6% is a relatively good number compared with many other states that are completely open for business.

A month ago I was extremely pessimistic about the chances of seeing college basketball games this season. Now, I’m very hopeful. I think CT is doing fine so far, and I believe there will be WBB in some form this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom