Good News from the Sun | The Boneyard

Good News from the Sun

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Chiney has signed a multi-year contract extension AND she and the Sun have agreed that she will be suspended for this season, opening up a roster spot. Although the Sun do not need her ok to suspend, there was a negotiation happening behind the scenes and it seems to have resolved well. Congrats and thank you Chiney.

This is a great sign of the new culture for the team also, in my opinion. Coach and GM Miller seems to be able to work with players to achieve common goals. Retaining talent and attracting quality free agents is a high priority for the management team.

--------------------------------------------------

Chiney Ogwumike‏Verified account @Chiney321 1h1 hour ago
BEYOND EXCITED about my contract extension with @ConnecticutSun! Sometimes the path you take is not planned, but the goal never changes.
270a-1f3fe.png
1f4af.png

C-C4ZNEVwAA_AIv.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why was she suspended?
She is injured. If she is suspended she frees a roster slot but would have become a free agent, or the Sun could have kept her (and her rights) but used up a roster slot.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The article that I saw on this topic also said that she would be working at ESPN in Bristol during the basketball season, so she will not lack for income even though the Sun will not be paying her.

Since she signed a multi-year contract, I assume that she won't become a free agent after the season despite the suspension.

Sounds like a good deal for all concerned, including Sun fans.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow, best possible outcome! Chiney is a class act.

Now I'm excited to see if someone like Cooper or Adams will make the roster.
Nice comment but I'm giving a "like" to your awesome avatar :)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I like Chiney as a player and as a person. She seems like a class act.

However what a bust she has been as a 1 pick! She has played what? One season? Injury after injury. Seems like the Sun or Chiney can't catch a break.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

However what a bust she has been as a 1 pick! She has played what? One season? Injury after injury. Seems like the Sun or Chiney can't catch a break.

She played in 2014 and 2016.

psconn

Reaction Score

You don't know how many seasons she's played, but you feel competent to declare her a "bust". Thanks for your interest in Sun basketball.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
You don't know how many seasons she's played, but you feel competent to declare her a "bust". Thanks for your interest in Sun basketball.

Whoa?!??!!

Reaction Score
So, with Chiney out, what forwards do you think they will keep? There are Adams, Cooper, Gray, Jonquel Jones, Kizer, Pederson, Stricklen, Thomas, and Tuck. That's nine. And the roster limit is only twelve. That is going to be tough to pare down. I think only Jonquel Jones, Thomas, and Tuck are a lock. Most likely, three or four of these have to go. Adams is listed as a forward-center. That might help her case. But it has been mentioned that Miller likes to have his teams run. Also, Stricklen can be used as a guard. I don't know Gray's or Kizer's games well enough to judge them. Cooper I really liked in college. A Natasha Howard type it seems. Tough choices.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
So, with Chiney out, what forwards do you think they will keep? There are Adams, Cooper, Gray, Jonquel Jones, Kizer, Pederson, Strickland, Thomas, and Tuck. That's nine. And the roster limit is only twelve. That is going to be tough to pare down. I think only Jonquel Jones, Thomas, and Tuck are a lock. Most likely, three or four of these have to go. Adams is listed as a forward-center. That might help her case. But it has been mentioned that Miller likes to have his teams run. I don't know Gray's or Kizer's games well enough to judge them. Cooper I really liked in college. A Natasha Howard type it seems. Tough choices.
Haven't you forgotten about Brionna Jones? I don't foresee a scenario where she will be cut.

JoePgh

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Haven't you forgotten about Brionna Jones? I don't foresee a scenario where she will be cut.
She is listed as a center. No, I don't see her leaving. I think she's a lock and will develop into a very effective player. Hamson is also listed as a center. Only 3 listed as centers.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I understand your point, even if it sounds a bit harsh.

Chiney's rookie season she looked like she was going to be greater than her sister as she progressed. But the first injury and the time off the court really took their toll. When she came back last year, she had her moments and there is no lack of try in the young warrior, but she only started 18 games and averaged 12.6 points. That is not the kind of output one would expect from an offensively skilled number one pick. (Compare what Tina Charles did in her first few seasons). She might look great when she comes back again, but I'm beginning to doubt it. Achilles injuries are bad. I hope she can get to where she was headed, but I think in the quiet of the Sun offices they acknowledge things have not turned out as they would have liked.

The good news is that if they have a horrible season and San Antonio does a bit better, they might get the top pick next year, which could be pretty good.

psconn

Reaction Score
I understand your point, even if it sounds a bit harsh.

Chiney's rookie season she looked like she was going to be greater than her sister as she progressed. But the first injury and the time off the court really took their toll. When she came back last year, she had her moments and there is no lack of try in the young warrior, but she only started 18 games and averaged 12.6 points. That is not the kind of output one would expect from an offensively skilled number one pick. (Compare what Tina Charles did in her first few seasons). She might look great when she comes back again, but I'm beginning to doubt it. Achilles injuries are bad. I hope she can get to where she was headed, but I think in the quiet of the Sun offices they acknowledge things have not turned out as they would have liked.

The good news is that if they have a horrible season and San Antonio does a bit better, they might get the top pick next year, which could be pretty good.

The Sun were VERY careful in bringing Chiney along slowly during the beginning of the season (you will see the same treatment for Banham and Tuck this year). She averaged less than 20 min/game in the first half and close to 30 in the 2nd half. She actually played in more games last year than her rookie year but had a lot fewer total minutes. Her per 40 minute stats were pretty good. Top 10 in FG%, PTS, REB(T), REB (O) and BLKS. I have no doubt that they will do the same when she returns next year (assuming no overseas play). She is the most valuable asset the Sun have and they are being cautious about ensuring her long-term health. They aren't about to write off the future of this talented 25 year old.

Although her injury took place overseas, it is obvious to anyone watching that Chiney takes a unbelievable pounding in the post in the W. The Sun are trying to address is a lack of interior bulk and muscle since Bone was traded. Jonquel Jones and Ogwumike are not built for the interior banging that takes place in the W. Acquiring Lynetta Kizer and then Reshanda Gray in trade for the generally invisible Aneika Henry-Morello was the first response to this issue along with drafting Bionna Jones. If these players work out well, it takes some of the physical pounding off Chiney and allows her to use her quickness more effectively and hopefully keeps her off injury lists for a while.

psconn

Reaction Score
P.S. - Another 2016 Chiney fact... Over the last 17 games of the 2016 season, she averaged 16.9 points and 9.2 rebounds with seven 20-point games and eight double-doubles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom