Good minutes from Carlton | The Boneyard

Good minutes from Carlton

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
He controlled the boards early and showed some nice positioning and touch around the rim. Pretty skilled for how big he is! He had some ticky-tack fouls called on him and Oregon made a run to take the lead after he left. Excited to see him develop more going forward, he brings a nice low-post dimension to our team and keeps the offense balanced. Great win, bring on MSU!

Reaction Score
He controlled the boards early and showed some nice positioning and touch around the rim. Pretty skilled for how big he is! He had some ticky-tack fouls called on him and Oregon made a run to take the lead after he left. Excited to see him develop more going forward, he brings a nice low-post dimension to our team and keeps the offense balanced. Great win, bring on MSU!
By next season he will start at the 5. Right now I'd say he is well ahead of his development schedule. Like most freshmen he needs to fill out a bit and get stronger but have to like his all around game.

Reaction Score
I love him. Great hands, long arms, keeps the ball high, knows what to do with it around the rim when he gets an inch of space.

I know I've made the Billy Curley comparison a million times in other threads over the past 12 months or so, but it's worth repeating here because their games are eerily similar. Kid is just so fundamentally sound – gonna be a very, very good one (maybe even a great one) once he catches up fully to the speed of the college game.

Reaction Score
I love him. Great hands, long arms, keeps the ball high, knows what to do with it around the rim when he gets an inch of space.

I know I've made the Billy Curley comparison a million times in other threads over the past 12 months or so, but it's worth repeating here because their games are eerily similar. Kid is just so fundamentally sound – gonna be a very, very good one (maybe even a great one) once he catches up fully to the speed of the college game.

I agree, no limits on this kid, he could be a dominant post player if he stays 3 years and puts the work in.

No limits.

Reaction Score
There is a lot to like about him, but two that I like the best:
1) opponent puts a shot up and his first instinct is to put a body on the other team.
2) he knows how to carve out space and keep the ball away from the defense (even double teams)... e.g. he can actually pass out of a double team and give us an advantage.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He will go down as an all-time fan favorite.

Everything fans who attend and watch games want to see from players he provides.

Similar to Jake Voskuhl.

Reaction Score
Carlton has the kind of BBIQ we haven't seen in a UConn big in a long time. He's a natural basketball player, not a pogo stick with long arms.

When Cobb comes back, he should take Onuorah's minutes, not Carlton's. This guy could be a starting big for 3 years after this one.

Reaction Score

I have been beating the drum on him since I saw his mix tape in the Spring. I know he had foul trouble, but KO:
A. Needs to find him more minutes
B. Needs to get the guards look for him more often, as he solidly holds his post-up position and can catch and finish.

Don't forget he comes from DeMatha High School, a legendary high school program where they beat the fundamentals into you and with him it shows. His defensive play vs the pick and roll and his help defense are light years ahead of any UConn interior player. The team always is plus points while he is in the game. I love him now, by year's end everyone will be loving him.

Reaction Score
Carlton has the kind of BBIQ we haven't seen in a UConn big in a long time. He's a natural basketball player, not a pogo stick with long arms.

When Cobb comes back, he should take Onuorah's minutes, not Carlton's. This guy could be a starting big for 3 years after this one.
Agree, I like Onuorah better in spot duty. Carlton gives us a player who can score and pass.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Sooner or later we will all have to admit that our Polley-Carlton-Whaley freshman recruiting class is an awful lot better than many BYers thought it would be. They all have potential to be outstanding 4 year players. They're feeling their way into college ball, and Carlton at this point is the farthest along the path, but by mid-season I expect all of them will contribute. Polley is deferring to Gilbert, Adams and Larrier in that starting slot, which is not unreasonable in his situation. His missed 3 on his only shot was a good release, right on target, just a hair long. Carlton may claim that starting 5 spot by mid-season if he keeps this up. Whaley has a ton of energy and is our longest interior defender, and a dynamite offensive rebounder.

Reaction Score
Even the early post move where he got a great pass, caught it perfectly as he turned to the hoop and put it up beautifully in one smooth motion. I honestly feel like we didn't see that play in YEARS

I'm very excited about a lot of the post players we have in the hopper right now. I was a little disappointed with how short KO kept the bench after Carlton/Onuorah fouled out. I understand you maybe don't toss in a cold Diarra right then, but Polley could have come in for a minute before going with the 4 guard lineup

Reaction Score
Even the early post move where he got a great pass, caught it perfectly as he turned to the hoop and put it up beautifully in one smooth motion. I honestly feel like we didn't see that play in YEARS

I'm very excited about a lot of the post players we have in the hopper right now. I was a little disappointed with how short KO kept the bench after Carlton/Onuorah fouled out. I understand you maybe don't toss in a cold Diarra right then, but Polley could have come in for a minute before going with the 4 guard lineup
Those look so simple but it requires him to feel out the position of the defender and know exactly what he wants to do before he even gets the ball. His knack for making the quick move before the defender is truly set is incredible for a freshman.

Reaction Score

Take Carlton's minutes? He fouled out after 14.

I think he's going to be a really good player by the time he's done, but I find a little of the praise (as opposed to promise) somewhat overblown. There were games last year where Enoch would give us 6 points and 5 fouls in 14 minutes. That doesn't make him 'Mek (who as a freshman started and anchored the defense on an Elite Eight team)..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom