Good Hurley News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good Hurley News

Reaction Score
Except he's been pretty open about not wanting to coach forever, I think he's already thrown out 60 as an estimate. And in the NBA you only get 2-3 years, there's no patience. Even if he took a rebuilding job like the Nets he's not getting much time to build his system and develop everyone. Just look at what they did to Kenny Atkinson
He's said he wants to coach a young team that will be open to his coaching - not a team loaded with vets. Couple that with the proximity, yeah I think Brooklyn could be a threat.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I did the same thing - they were an NBA team at that point too.

I never knew the Celtics played at the Civic Center either for a few games a year. Saw that a few years ago was actually more shocking haha.
That I actually remembered.

CL82

Reaction Score
They wanted the best coach in college basketball. Or did I miss something lol
The fact that he didn't accept the job? Kind of a big miss. :rolleyes:

CL82

Reaction Score
Post #15
IMG_3570.jpeg

Reaction Score
The fact that he didn't accept the job? Kind of a big miss. :rolleyes:
So, if I understand this correctly… NBA teams won’t pursue college coaches because Dan Hurley said no to the LA circus? I mean, maybe? Kinda doubt it though.

CL82

Reaction Score
So, if I understand this correctly… NBA teams won’t pursue college coaches because Dan Hurley said no to the LA circus? I mean, maybe? Kinda doubt it though.
Lol, you don't understand it correctly. I suspect willfully.

So someone posted that was that Dan Hurley only has a limited number of years of coaching left so he would have to go to an NBA team that he could win a championship within three years. I don't see any NBA team that is on the cusp of winning a championship changing coaches to go to a college coach. I think that's what you're taking issue with but it isn't clear to me.

Hurley had the opportunity to go to the Lakers, but chose not to. I don't think he will go anywhere except the Knicks or the Nets. But that's just a guess on my part.

Reaction Score
Yep, they're basically the Bobcats. The Lakers simply aren't a successful franchise.
Yes. Successful is relative though. LAL arguably the biggest basketball brand ever. Second most championships. But they are a mess, and not in a position to win now. So it just depends how you define successful.

Reaction Score
Lol, you don't understand it correctly. I suspect willfully.

So someone posted that was that Dan Hurley only has a limited number of years of coaching left so he would have to go to an NBA team that he could win a championship within three years. I don't see any NBA team that is on the cusp of winning a championship changing coaches to go to a college coach. I think that's what you're taking issue with but it isn't clear to me.

Hurley had the opportunity to go to the Lakers, but chose not to. I don't think he will go anywhere except the Knicks or the Nets. But that's just a guess on my part.
Must have missed the lead up to your initial comment. In that sense, yes, I agree. If you are the 4-6 franchises with the talent to win a ring in the next few years then a college hire is certainly a risk. That being said the Celtics just won a ring with Joe Mazzula who I doubt is as good of a coach as Dan Hurley. But yeah, I get your point.

Reaction Score
Nets are probably the team if he decides to do it - clean slate and loads of draft picks. Can’t see Hurley coaching Nova 2.0.

Good call. When he's ready he should have tons of his guys in the league too.

Reaction Score
It’s not just location, the Knicks have been his favorite team since he was a little kid (Bobby was the Celtics fan), and he’s sentimental/emotional enough to make that matter, IF he ever goes the pro route.
Pretty sure UConn wasn’t his favorite team growing up, and how did that work out?

Reaction Score
Pretty sure UConn wasn’t his favorite team growing up, and how did that work out?
You’re right, I have absolutely no idea what he is thinking. I mean, I couldn’t possibly know…

He was happy at St. Benedict’s, Wagner was good, he was really happy at URI and had a one-handed list of schools he would have left the Rams for. Obviously, UConn was on it. This next thing, if it happens, is all bonus stuff. But, if you can check off a few really cool life dreams by doing it? Yeah, it’s going to take that special of a situation to have it actually happen.

Reaction Score
You’re right, I have absolutely no idea what he is thinking. I mean, I couldn’t possibly know…

He was happy at St. Benedict’s, Wagner was good, he was really happy at URI and had a one-handed list of schools he would have left the Rams for. Obviously, UConn was on it. This next thing, if it happens, is all bonus stuff. But, if you can check off a few really cool life dreams by doing it? Yeah, it’s going to take that special of a situation to have it actually happen.
What is his MO so far? Taking a scrap heap and rebuilding it from the ground floor. Not inheriting something and trying to totally reinvent established DNA.

awy

Reaction Score
well, a three year contract doesn't mean the contract actually lasts three years. hurley is very ambitious and values the upside of a situation more than anything, because he thinks he can achieve that upside. the knicks job is a huge allure that he can't say no to, so the thibs extension is good news but not a total safeguard just yet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom