Good Bye Rock Cats | The Boneyard

Good Bye Rock Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.courant.com/business/hc-new-britain-rock-cats-sale-20120228,0,494461.story

The Minnesota Twins AA team looks to be a part of Connecticut history soon. I assume this season is staying. But next year the State will see a huge void open up for great baseball.

Here's hoping something comes along to utilize that great stadium.

I don't think they are going anywhere. The Rock Cats are one of the strong franchises in the Eastern League. They are just getting new owners with a lot of experience. There may be a little risk as Ottawa will be getting a team next year, but the rumor is that will be the Binghamton Mets (probably to be replaced with a NY-Penn team).

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I don't think they are going anywhere. The Rock Cats are one of the strong franchises in the Eastern League. They are just getting new owners with a lot of experience. There may be a little risk as Ottawa will be getting a team next year, but the rumor is that will be the Binghamton Mets (probably to be replaced with a NY-Penn team).

Lets hope for the best.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Lets hope for the best.

Did you even read the duck*ing article?

I don't really have anything to add past that.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Did you even read the duck*ing article?

I don't really have anything to add past that.

Dove's reaction was New Englander in a nutshell. How can you read that article and think they're leaving? Good Lord.

Reaction Score
"It's a small group. They're going to be hands-on. The team is staying in New Britain. It's going to be more successful in New Britain. They're going to continue the same traditions that the current ownership group does," McEacharn said.

They do have a nice stadium. Forgot who I saw them play, but they played a great game. It is a shame the Waterbury Spirit had to go.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Not sure what the source did but that is NOT the story I linked. The one I linked may have been within a couple of hours of the story breaking. Who the duck would read that and then write "Good Bye Rock Cats"?

Good to see the team is staying.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Not sure what the source did but that is NOT the story I linked. The one I linked may have been within a couple of hours of the story breaking. Who the duck would read that and then write "Good Bye Rock Cats"?

Good to see the team is staying.

It's called an edit to the original story by the Courant with updated information. I'm sure the original story was something like "Rock Cats sold to investment group, no word yet if team will stay in New Britain." Could have written "No word yet if team will leave New Britain" but that's less exciting.

Reaction Score
It's called an edit to the original story by the Courant with updated information. I'm sure the original story was something like "Rock Cats sold to investment group, no word yet if team will stay in New Britain." Could have written "No word yet if team will leave New Britain" but that's less exciting.
That's correct. The original version was shorter and gave no firm statement regarding the status of the team. I replied to Dove because I was pretty sure based on the attendance at New Britain Stadium and the rumors about which Eastern League teams might be available to move that they should be OK, but it was not a given. It's good to see that they Courant stayed on the story to provide confirmation.

Reaction Score
"It's a small group. They're going to be hands-on. The team is staying in New Britain. It's going to be more successful in New Britain. They're going to continue the same traditions that the current ownership group does," McEacharn said.

They do have a nice stadium. Forgot who I saw them play, but they played a great game. It is a shame the Waterbury Spirit had to go.
Was the Spirit the old Giants franchise. Went to 1 game in Waterbury and half the players were playing in torn uniforms.

Reaction Score
No, the Spirit were an independent team that played in Municipal Stadium for 3 or 4 years in the late '90s.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think a former major leaguer, Dave Fleming, played for Waterbury. He played for the Mariners.

Reaction Score
Was the Spirit the old Giants franchise. Went to 1 game in Waterbury and half the players were playing in torn uniforms.
They played in the Northern League. Their uniforms looked fine when I went. They were able to afford to give out free pennants at the game I went to. They played between 1997-2000.

I do think the Giants had a double-A team in Waterbury a while ago, though. That would require more research.

Reaction Score
I think a former major leaguer, Dave Fleming, played for Waterbury. He played for the Mariners.

Fleming never pitched for a Waterbury minor league team, but he did pitch for Georgia against UConn in an NCAA regional....which was played in Waterbury. Fleming got knocked out of the game after a 2 RBI opposite field single by Todd Rosenthal.

Pete Walker pitched a great game but got squeezed badly by the home plate ump. I thought Merek Drabinski was going to kill the guy with his accordian.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Fleming never pitched for a Waterbury minor league team, but he did pitch for Georgia against UConn in an NCAA regional....which was played in Waterbury. Fleming got knocked out of the game after a 2 RBI opposite field single by Todd Rosenthal.

Pete Walker pitched a great game but got squeezed badly by the home plate ump. I thought Merek Drabinski was going to kill the guy with his accordian.

I dunno, I remember him playing here...check out link.

http://www.lohud.com/article/200805...pac-star-still-pitching-after-all-these-years

Good memory regarding Georgia v. UConn, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom